PDA

View Full Version : Blazer K5, Power steering???

Jon H.
08-01-2001, 03:57 PM
Hi,

I need some info about connecting power steering pump. I am pretty sure that the line I can disconnect from the power steering pump (I think it is the line that brings fluid from the pump, it seems to be for higher pressure) goes to the port wich is closer to the driver and the other line goes to the port wich is near the front of the car. Am I right or is it the other way around? :confused:

My truck is Chevy Blazer K5 Silverado 1981 (light truck).

Thanks in advange,

Jon H. Gudjonsson,
Iceland

08-01-2001, 08:19 PM
Looking under the hood of an '80 K10 Silverado pickup, here's what I see - all references to "left" and "right" are made assuming you're sitting in the driver seat:

High pressure line, located towards the right (passenger) side of the power steering pump, connects to the port near the right (passenger) side of the steering box. The high-pressure line will have hex fittings - don't forget to use a tubing wrench on them! - and the low-pressure or return line will likely connect to the power steering pump with hose clamps.

Hope this helps!

Jon H.
08-02-2001, 04:34 PM
Thanks a lot, I think I have it right now :)

Jon H. Gudjonsson

ERIC ROBERGE
08-24-2001, 04:37 AM
Another piece of advice on p/s lines is not to overtighten the line fittings at the pump or especially the gear box. You WILL regret doing this whenever you try to remove them at a later date. Tighten the line just enough to compress the flare on the line fitting to the mating flare inside the gear box or pump. A little anti seise on the treads wouln`t hurt either.
Removing a siezed p/s line in gear box can require the use of a hammer and chisel. OOHHHH THE HUMANITY.