PDA

View Full Version : Lowballers Don't always win the job!!!

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey folks! I am putting this in here to encourage those that are just starting out in this business. Also, it can be used as a lesson of experience that you do not have to be the cheapest to win a job.

We recently landed a residential job (nice property) that we were in competition with a few other well established companies in our area. We knew what the others had bid and we were far above them in price (about $15 a cut more than the second highest).

We received an e-mail from the property owner stating that he wants to go with us, because we did a great job in selling our level of commitment to service. He had hired someone last year and lets say that the service that he received was not something to write home about.

Do not get discouraged about lowballers. Do not get discouraged that you do not land every job. Price yourself right. Do good work. Believe in yourself and your company. Sell yourself to your potential customers. Do this and you should be fine.

btw, there is a ton of potential other work at this property. It is a corner property coming into the development. Tons of shrubs to trim and prune, about 20 yds of mulch annually(refresh), aeration, and more. We currently have them signing up for weekly lawn maintenance and a fertilizer program.

Always price yourself right, and always look for other ways that you may be able to help that customer.:) :) :)

jason9696
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Congrats on landing the account, thanks for the inspiration!

bohiaa
04-16-2007, 04:43 PM
WOO HOOO.... Good for you Rob...

Just wanted to share I went and bidded on 3 proptries this guy has after I gave him the bid he said WOW ... he told me that his LC went up and went up large and I was Just a little under there NEW price.....

LETS RUN THE LOWBALLERS OUTTA BUSINESS

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks folks for the congrats! Also, congrats are in order for you as well bohiaa!

Just shows that you do not necessarily have to be the cheapest. One shouldn't set out to bleed people dry either. Charge fair wages, do good work, and you will make money.:)

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I had this same thing happen to me twice so far in a couple of weeks.

A couple of weeks ago a guy took us for $500 over another bid of $300. His reason: we responded to his phone call and came out that afternoon. Job took us 3 hours total. His result: $5,000 bid over his asking price on his house. He directly attributes it to the work we did. So now he is giving us all of his landscaping work (he's a property manager). As long as he gives us a good amount of work, he get his grass cut for free (10 minute lawn).

We also gained a customer for $60/week when they used to pay $45/week. She said the guy was unreliable and we gave her good communication. We've done the yard once and they want us to do about $1500 worth of mulch work now.

One thing I've learned is people will pay for good service. I don't mean just good work. They want to be treated like they are important and want good communication. I've been complained to by every one of my customers that their other LCO's never called them back or told them when they were coming. Another thing that turns customers off: ripped t-shirts, blaring Metallica at 150 dB, and driving at 80 mph and weaving in and out of traffic with a trailer full of equipment. Sorry, I saw this more than a few times this weekend and it's really annoying.

fiveoboy01
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
One thing I've learned is people will pay for good service. I don't mean just good work. They want to be treated like they are important and want good communication. I've been complained to by every one of my customers that their other LCO's never called them back or told them when they were coming. Another thing that turns customers off: ripped t-shirts, blaring Metallica at 150 dB, and driving at 80 mph and weaving in and out of traffic with a trailer full of equipment. Sorry, I saw this more than a few times this weekend and it's really annoying.

Yep, very true. You have to care about the customer, and make them see it.

I go out of my way to keep in contact with my customers, I check up periodically with them to be sure they are satisfied, even if I don't get any complaints.

Professionalism is one thing that I see lacking a lot in our industry, a lot of the scrubs give us a bad name overall, and I do whatever I can to overturn that stereotype.

lifetree
04-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey folks! I am putting this in here to encourage those that are just starting out in this business. Also, it can be used as a lesson of experience that you do not have to be the cheapest to win a job.

Trinity -- Congratulations, on the winning the bid !!

lawnpro724
04-16-2007, 11:17 PM
The only thing good about lowballers is that in a few years of working for nothing most quit. Congrats on getting the job.