PDA

View Full Version : My legs are on fire!

boozoo
08-01-2001, 04:42 PM
Today I mowed with my crews in a very big property neighborhood. After a couple of hours my legs started feeling uncomfortably tingly, like you feel when you're starting to sunburn (of course, by the time you feel that particular feeling, it's way too late). They started burning worse and worse until it was just TOO MUCH! Both my crew leaders said yeah, they had experienced the same thing this year, for more or less the first time, and they thought it was the dry grass clippings in the air (we use gator mulchers on our mid-mounts). I've been mowing for 15 years and I've never felt anything like this before! It's like a cross between sunburn and rubbing your legs with fiberglass insulation - yow! I went home and soaped my legs, and 30 minutes later they felt better, though still itchy. Anybody else ever get this? Any soutions? I'll be damned if I want my crews getting this again.

J. Bret Holder
08-01-2001, 05:06 PM
I've been there. I get it behind my knees really bad. Watch that you don't spread it by touching other areas after you have been scratching. It definitely sounds like the juices from grass clippings.

Calydryl Clear seems to clear it up and stop the itching.

Give it a shot. I hope this is the answer you needed.

:blob2:

awm
08-01-2001, 05:21 PM
i believe id check and see if they are using chemicals or something there.

Fantasy Lawns
08-01-2001, 06:43 PM
were you around some water or really wet grass ......when cutting did you see an unusual amount of small gnats .....

the no see ems will do that ....(gnat lava) ..... skin so soft helps prevent & than calamine after a good scrub with soap

MATTHEW
08-01-2001, 07:13 PM
Maybe you've got the chiggers!

boozoo
08-01-2001, 08:30 PM
Definately not chiggers - any good arkansas boy could tell those, and they're pleasant compared to this. And it seems to occur on treated and untreated lawns alike. The gnat thing sounds promising, but I don't think we get "no see'ums" - but with a name like that, how would I know! I do know that we've had much more rain this July than usual - usually we are well into our drought season by now. but the grass where it has occured seems quite dry. Thanks for the Caladryl tip, we'll try it, though soap and water seems like the cure. Side note, everyone agrees that it feels like fiberglass, which would indicate that it is a physical/mechanical problem, not a a chemical one. Maybe conditions are favoring some kind of silica component in the grasses' chemical make-up?

MJ
08-01-2001, 10:04 PM
BOOZOO - I don't know how this would apply to your situation, but it sounds exactly like what my granddaughter had happen. Except that her's was from swimming in a lake. Seems she got infected by duck and loon droppings. Burns like fire, only it was on her arms and hands. Went to the doctor and they treated it with steroids. Called it "swimmer's itch". Were you around standing water?

LAWNGODFATHER
08-01-2001, 10:20 PM
Itís called SUN POSIONING

I felt it last August and boy it didnít feel good

I have been using a SPF 40 sunscreen and have not felt it this year yet

LGF:blob1:

geogunn
08-02-2001, 07:14 AM
my vote is that some of the lawns are treated and you are making vapors with the equipment.

you should be able to tell the difference in a physical skin rub from your pants and a reaction type of burning.

and "noseeums" are real! and you can't hardly see them but the bite the pee out of you!

and the duck thing...that sounds awful. I'd hate to swallow some of that water!

GEO

HOMER
08-02-2001, 07:49 AM
Had a similar reaction to a fungicide that had been sprayed on a lawn last year. Whatever was not under clothing was on fire, my eyes got the worst of it especially after I rubbed them. My wife and I both were burning. Didn't know there was anything on the lawn............no sign in the yard! It eased off by about 10:00 pm, thought for a while I might want to hit the E.R..............it hurt that bad.:blob2: :cry: :mad:

Holloway Lawns
08-02-2001, 12:12 PM
I have never had that happn to me and my legs are white as can be they will not tan or burn I were shorts alot also.

TheLawnBoy
08-02-2001, 08:11 PM
Ouch!

Had something like that happen to me earlier this year.

It was on the outside of my arm just down from my shoulder where my t-shirt rubs. I had gotten a bit of sun recently and something must have gotten on my shirt and irritated the skin. Never had anything hurt like that. The worst part was that i couldn't do anything about it.

Not cool.

Ricky
08-02-2001, 10:06 PM
I got into some "smart weed"( that's all I know it by) last year while weed-eating in shorts. That sent me home to the shower. I couldn't wash it off. Just waited until it wore off later that night. I don't run the weed eater without long pants anymore. I slip some "scrubs" on over my shorts.

A scrub wearing "scrubs" :)

boozoo
08-02-2001, 10:28 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner, equipment and invoicing problems are beating my brains in. Lots of good answers. No standing water; again, some lawns are treated but most not; smartweed is a possibility; and sunpoisoning? How is that different than sunburn? Or sunstroke? We are *definately* hot and humid, and baking.