PDA

View Full Version : pine straw or mulch

Wyboo
04-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I have searched the archives but did not find much. I notced alot of talk about mulch but not much about pine straw. What are the advantages of mulching over using pine straw?

ryannicholson
05-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Most mulches are attractive to many insects and termites. Pine Straw is at least not beneficial to termites as it is not a food source. Most insects cannot digest pine straw due to its natural terpentine. It also stays in place better than most other mulches and allows better breathing for you plants. I sell pine straw and many other mulches and prefer pine straw. Check us out at www.nicholsonfarms.com

Some info I found about Pine straw!

"Pine straw helps provide favorable growing conditions and stimulates healthy plant development, unlike other dry organic mulches such as pine bark, leaves, grass clippings, and peat moss. Pine straw can also be placed close to your home and doesn't attract termites.

* Natural By-Product. Pine straw is made from a by-product that is discarded from trees naturally, as opposed to grinding up whole trees.
* Water Infiltration. Pine straw tends to interlock and prevent run off when you water your lawn frequently.
* Weed Control. Pine straw is great for stopping those unsightly weeds that can literally take over your flower beds and kill your flowers and plants.

These are just a few of the reasons why pine straw holds many beneficial properties over other similar mulches. Here are some of the ways you can spread your pine straw.

You really can't say enough about the uses of pine straw in your yard. It's practical, decorative, and extremely affordable. With all of its benefits, pine straw can be the perfect addition to any yard.

About the Author
Kelly Richardson has obsessive compulsive lawn disorder and is afflicted with the need to share his knowledge with the world. Kelly writes lawn columns for a variety of home and garden magazines and e-zines. "

Shades of Green LService
05-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I've had good results using Green fiber mulch. It's a tackifier and has a 1-1-1 ratio and looks professional.

Focal Point Landscapes
05-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Generally speaking , pine straw mulch is a southern thing , most clients will prefer it to other mulch. Not very popular or available in most other regions . That is why you don't see much discussion on this site.

cgaengineer
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
I prefer pine straw to mulch for trees and larger flower beds...its cheaper, covers more area per bale then per bag of mulch and I think it looks damn good. Pine straw also doesnt wash away in big rains, but it will blow away in strong winds if not installed correctly. Pine straw is also easier to place in my opinion.