PDA

View Full Version : opening a buss. check account while on un-employment

shade tree landscaping
04-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Just wondering if any of you could tell me if I would be able ot open a business checking account ot cash my checks while i am on un-employment. Just gertting started and need every dime i can get rite now, and un-employment is basically paying my mortgage. I live in a different state then where the checks for un-employment are coming from, so its not NJ checks, and im in business in NJ so the sate i live in would not have red flags. or would they across the board? Just wondering if anyone has had any experiamnce with doing this. thanks.

shade tree landscaping
04-16-2007, 05:27 PM
come on guys no one on here has any info for me regaurding this?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
So your self employed but file for unemployement? I can't tell you for sure if it's illegal but I would imagine so. What about morals and ethics?

bohiaa
04-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I think you May run into some problems......

Why would anyone want to do this anyway ?

Fantasy Lawns
04-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Most of us are out working at 3pm most days

But the whole thing seems .... Shady to me ;-)

chris638
04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
No kidding. Our taxes are paying for you to be on unemployment and your self employed. I understand people fall on hard times, but come on. Maybe I am the only one thinking this, but people who do this are the scum of the earth. Worst than lowballers. Not to mention, but it is illegal as all hell.

shade tree landscaping
04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
heres the situition . . . I went from a high paying job, to being out on my a*s over nite. I have just started up this year, not making much if anything off of my litle company. Actually just covering expensees for equipment. So the un-employment is to pay for my mortgage so i dont lose my home. Like i said its not like i am making a killing off of my landscape co. Its the first year and the money i make is paying for the equipment. and as far as the morals and being scum goes, i paid for years big money into un-employment I'm just trying to get get on my feet. not trying to take lavish vacations, buy plasma TVs or anything like that. just trying to get back on my feet. once my co is up and running enough to where I can turn a profit, I will obviously not be getting the un-employment.

Grits
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
heres the situition . . . I went from a high paying job, to being out on my a*s over nite. I have just started up this year, not making much if anything off of my litle company. Actually just covering expensees for equipment. So the un-employment is to pay for my mortgage so i dont lose my home. Like i said its not like i am making a killing off of my landscape co. Its the first year and the money i make is paying for the equipment. and as far as the morals and being scum goes, i paid for years big money into un-employment I'm just trying to get get on my feet. not trying to take lavish vacations, buy plasma TVs or anything like that. just trying to get back on my feet. once my co is up and running enough to where I can turn a profit, I will obviously not be getting the un-employment.

I hear ya. But, wouldn't it be less scumbag-like if instead of unemployment, you got a night job? That way you could start your biz and not have to worry about getting busted doing shady stuff.
To answer your original question, I would say it would be a gamble. It may or maynot throw up flags and get you in some sort of trouble. I would try to go the route I suggested.

ECS
04-17-2007, 12:13 AM
You should be reporting anything you are making from your new business to unemployment anyway. Sounds to me like you are working under the table and taking advantage of the sytem. I for one would not be publicly putting this information on the Internet for everyone to see. What you are doing is wrong. You are cheating the system and yet you seem to think it is OK.

I went from a decent paying job to nothing also. I collected unemployment and had to live on $286/week. Every penny I made I reported to unemployment and that money came off my weekly total, so if I made $200 one week, my unemployment check would only be $86.00. Try living in one of the most expensive places in the country on $286.00 a week.

robbo521
04-17-2007, 12:56 AM
money is the devil and the devil will get you and boy you wont like it.

topsites
04-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Well, no, I don't think it's a good idea to draw unemployment if you have a job.

gravtyklz
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
People who collect unemployment and have a paying job under the counter may indeed be scum.

But how many of you actually have such a clean slate that makes you scum free?

If you were collecting unemployment because you lost your job and you're neighbor asked you to paint his living room would you seriously cease to collect unemployment over that?

As for the question....you are in a risky situation. It could even be considered fraud. If I were you i would remedy your situation ASAP by any means. But you're no more scum than anyone else.

GreenN'Clean
04-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I think collecting unemployment and running a business will lead you in the wrong direction

martinfan06
04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
I hear ya. But, wouldn't it be less scumbag-like if instead of unemployment, you got a night job? That way you could start your biz and not have to worry about getting busted doing shady stuff.
To answer your original question, I would say it would be a gamble. It may or maynot throw up flags and get you in some sort of trouble. I would try to go the route I suggested.

Im going to agree with grits here theres plenty of ways to get back on your feet like work harder, longer it may suck but its worth it.

NELawnCare
04-17-2007, 11:03 AM
This is a real boiling point for me! It makes me furious to see the taxes I pay. Then when someone openly admits to cheating the system...AND WANTS HELP AND ADVICE on doing it...I get steamed. Do us all a favor bud, get a job! All of us lcs have been where you are. We worked hard, planned, and made the right choices. You won't find any sympothy in these Forums. We are all hard workers! How 'bout you?

gravtyklz
04-17-2007, 11:17 AM
I think its okay to disagree with him, but lack of sympathy? We dont know the full story really so no sense in judging. The company I manage pays a lot in unemployment as well so I understand its frustrating to think that its being paid to someone whose on vacation permenantly, but if I'm ever in a tight position with nothing else to do i'll be thankful for it.

Obvioiusly anyone on unemployment should be trying to get away from it, its kind of unfair to assume that hes not trying at all. If everyone here really doesnt like him collecting unemployment the energy would be much better spent helping him make a good decision, or even PMing him to help him power drive his business. But putting him down or calling him scum is pretty worthless.

JMO

chris638
04-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do have sympathy for him. But what he is doing is illegal and immoral. And he is not painting his father in laws house. He is starting a full fledge business. I can't believe that anybody in business for themselves would agree with what he is doing. I see you only manage a company. I would be willing to bet that once you started writing the checks into unemployment, you would have a different opinion.

gravtyklz
04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm an investor in the business I manage so it is my money that runs through the cash flow rail road tracks.

I disagree with what hes doing if its a long term deal. But how long has it been going on? Do you know? I dont know. Maybe 2 weeks? Maybe a month? Maybe a year? That makes a difference. For all I know hes only cut 2 lawns?

I think its definitely best that he finds a remedy to his situation ASAP. I dont think its right to run a business and collect unemployment. But I also dont think its right to call someone scum for it unless I call myself scum for my own share of immoral acts. Theres plenty of them you know.

But again by all means he should get out of his little conflict of interest there. I think even he would agree there. If hes been doing this a while then he should indeed change his act up to do something different.

shade tree landscaping
04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
I only have 4 lawn accounts at this time, not enough to pay my bills. Have only gotton one (1) check from un-employment. Its not a matter of me wanting to "double dip" and get money from all ends, its a matter of surivial and paying my bills! Once i get on my feet enough that my lawn serviceing can cover my mortgage i will be canceling my un-employment that day! I agree with what all have said on here but unless any of you are put in this situation you cant say what you would or would not do! All I'm trying to do is provide for my family until i can get back on my feet, aith the comp up and making money. Like i said earlier, I am not trying to scam anyone or "double dip". The checks are barley paying my mortgage and I have had to go into my savings to keep everything going for the family. And as far as everyone referring to me on here as a "scum bag." A scum bag would be telling my kids that they have to leave their school / freinds b/c daddy cant afford it any more and we have to move. I'm just trying to get back on my feet here, unless any of you have ever been in this situition please dont assume and make comments b/c trust me you have no idea how hard it is!

bgent
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I've been reading posts on here for months now and this is ofcourse my first post. I completely understand what you are going through. I myself am in the same situation. I just started my landscaping business and the company I worked for went downhill over the past couple of months and we were all laid off. Though I did not file for unemployment, I understand what's going on. I have a brand new baby girl on the way and I'm trying like hell to get this biz going good enough to support us. The accounts are out there man, just get out there and find them. You can make it.

shade tree landscaping
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
thanks BGENT @ least someone on here can re-late somewhat! Its not a matter of wanting business, i just cant seem to get it. I ahve put out about 3000 fliers and about 25 signs and gotton lil to no response!

bgent
04-17-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the questions you need to be asking people on here, is how to get business. Ofcourse I'm just starting, but I advertised 1 day with flyers for about 2 hrs. When I go to any type of garden center I drop off biz cards, I leave extra cards with every customer. I have ten accounts + all the one-timers that call. If you're handing out flyers, don't put them in mail boxes, use the sidewalk (until they give you permission to be in their yard), put the flyers on doors. Just try not to piss them off before they give you a chance.

bgent
04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Is it raining where you are? Cause if not... you know where you need to be. Good luck man! I gotta get back at it.

shade tree landscaping
04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
rain? we got 6.5 inches of rain, yes 6.5 inches, in 48 hours. Its starting to stop now but everything is soaked and flooded so there is def no workign today!

bohiaa
04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
now now now guys.... you can draw unemployment while working...

it's a percentage thing...... you kno, Like those women who have more childern so that there welfair check will go up...

prosperity
04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Without getting into the debate part of this thread, I wanted the original poster to check on something..

In Pennsylvania, the unemployment system has a program where they actually help you get a business started while you are on unemployment. They offer a couple programs and training to help you get started.

Might want to check for such options in your state.

TLS
04-17-2007, 05:33 PM
What porsperity said is correct.

And what your doing is totally legit.

You are not required to notify unemployment until you turn a profit. And when you do, you can still claim partial unemployment.

In answer to your original question....Yes you can open a business checking account while on unemployment.

Geeze....you other guys act like he's on Welfare or Food Stamps for crying out loud!

shade tree landscaping
04-17-2007, 06:36 PM
prosperity & tls
thank you! At least some people on here can give some advice and not comment on a situation that they feel is wrong!

ECS
04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I only have 4 lawn accounts at this time, not enough to pay my bills. Have only gotton one (1) check from un-employment. Its not a matter of me wanting to "double dip" and get money from all ends, its a matter of surivial and paying my bills! Once i get on my feet enough that my lawn serviceing can cover my mortgage i will be canceling my un-employment that day! I agree with what all have said on here but unless any of you are put in this situation you cant say what you would or would not do! All I'm trying to do is provide for my family until i can get back on my feet, aith the comp up and making money. Like i said earlier, I am not trying to scam anyone or "double dip". The checks are barley paying my mortgage and I have had to go into my savings to keep everything going for the family. And as far as everyone referring to me on here as a "scum bag." A scum bag would be telling my kids that they have to leave their school / freinds b/c daddy cant afford it any more and we have to move. I'm just trying to get back on my feet here, unless any of you have ever been in this situition please dont assume and make comments b/c trust me you have no idea how hard it is! I was in your situation. I did no own a home and when I lost my job, I also lost my housing. I had to sell almost everyhing we owned and was going to live in my little 8' cab over camper until we got situated again. My truck & JEEP payments alone were over $800/month. So I do know what you are going through and I do understand what you are going through.

I bought a plow for my truck in the hopes of making enough money to buy a good mower come spring. I had 1 customer at the time. I got lucky and a very wealthy novelist took me on as his on site caretaker as he was needing one. This gave me my housing. I went door to door looking for plowing customers, got a few more and a couple more caretaking jobs. One of the care taking jobs anted a lot of inside work done while they were away. That was my 2nd big break. I typed up some letters and quickly mailed them and got some more plowing jobs and another care taking job. That winter was a crap winter and only plowed 1/2 of a normal winter. We scraped and saved every penny we could that fall and winter and had enough to purchase my mower & trimmer and did not have a penny to out name.

I was going into the lawn season with only 4 accounts. In February I sent out 250 letters and landed another 9 accounts. That was my 3rd break as all of these lawns were 1 - 4 acres. That along with doing sprinkler work and hauling trash got me through the summer and money in my pocket once again. In August I sent out letters again for care taking and snow and landed some more of both. In the meantime, my truck got paid off.

The job as on site caretaker came to an end when they sold the property and once again we were without a place to hang our hat. Then cam our next break from one of the people I went door to door to. He needed someone to check his house and someone to plow his drive. He also had an apartment above the garage that was vacant. We got a deal on the rent in exchange for doing the snow and checking the house. We ended up with a lot of odd jobs that needed to be done on the property and in the house and then got the lawn to do.

When I lost my job and housing in August of 2004 I was collecting unemployment to the sum of $286/week. Any money I made while starting up came off of my unemployment and by the end of December i was making just barely more than my unemployment so it was gone. So I do indeed know what you are going through. I almost named my company AFM (Anything For Money) because I did anything I could to get by. I cleaned houses, scrubbed toilets, painted, hauled trash, did a fall cleanup with a rake to the sum of well over 100 bags of leaves from one property and more than 50 other bags emptied and spread around in the wild area. I was a human dredge for 3 big ponds and hauled 2300 pounds of smelly pond weeds and algie that was infested with leeches to the dump while I was gagging on the smell. I swept and washed floors in garages, Anything For Money.

Prosperity and TLS may be right, at least it sounds like they are right for where they live in Pa. I agree with them, check your laws where you live. If what you are doing is withing the limits of the law, more power to you. If not, then you need to make a decission as to getting the business going, getting a job, but do not be a cheat on our already broken down, over burdened system.

What ever you do, I do wish you the very best.

chris638
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
I highly doubt that Pennsylvania would help you start a company in NJ. Everybody that starts a business, starts out on hard times. But any money that you make should be reported to unemployment. Gross not profit. Let me ask you this. If you had a high paying job like you said earlier, obviously you have a skill or trade that you are proficient in or highly educated. Why wouldn't you maybe look for a normal job and then try to start up your company on the up and up. IMO unemployment is a form of welfare. Your income is coming from a state agency when nothing is keeping you from looking for another job. I don't mean to sound like a jerk about this, but this is something I feel very strongly about. Maybe I wouldn't feel so strongly about if I hadn't seen guys that used to work for us, drawing unemployment, and knowing they are working for cash on the side as my unemployment rate sky rockets.

shade tree landscaping
04-17-2007, 11:32 PM
THANK YOU esc, another person that knows what i am going through! as far as CHRIS638, my job was taken away by a computer. i have nothin more than a high school education, and now i am f*cked! not asking for symptahy, or peoplea negitive 2 cents on here, just some advice! Just staarting out, not making anymoney what so ever yet!

ECS
04-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Some have said I was wrong for stealing customers from my old boss. I do not think I was wrong. I feel I was wrongly fired, but that is either here nor there. I did solicit the people I took care of for 6 years through the other company. I told them that me & So & SO have parted ways and I was going to start my owm business. It was their choice to hire me or stay with the other. Almost all of them told me to continue doing the work because i was the one doing everything for the past 6 years.

My first customer talked me into starting this and called my exboss the day after I was fired and told them that if I was staying in the valley and starting on my own, he was through with them. He also offered to help get me going with equipment. I declined his help and accepted work instead. I mopped & scrubbed his 3 car garage, I moved every peice of furniture in the house and cleaned under it, he even had me come out there and show my replacement (from my old boss) what was expected to be done on the lawn. I was paid to supervise them for 3 weeks. He told my old boss to keep doing the lawn for the rest of the season, which was only 3 weeks and after that, not to do anything else again. He is my biggest account.

This is how I got a lot of my customers. They were paying So & So, but it was me that was doing the work.

There is a lot of work in the service industry, Don't lock yourself to just lawns. Look for things that are wrong and need to be fixed or cleaned. Look for decks that need to be pressure washed and resealed. Look for the dirty windows and offer to wash them. Look for the over stuffed sheds and garages and offer to clean them. Last year 38% of my gross was lawns & gardens, 15% was all the other stuff I just mentioned. Last year was my 2nd full year on my own, my lawn income was up $4100 over my first year, the othe stuff was $6000 more than the first year. I took on a lot of work that no one else wanted or was willing to do.

My goal was reached because I wanted customers that want me to do everything and that is what I do. If I am not qualified to do it, do not wish to do it or don't have the time to do it, I get someone to do it for them. I am their one stop shopping in the service world. I have taken properties from large companies because I am the one that will get all their needs done, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting, contruction, you name it. The big company that I took a lot of properties from for lawns is a friend of mine. In return I have given him more work than he has lost to me. I am solo, he has a crew of 30 Mexicans, and when I need something done right away that is too much for just me, he gets a call and his crew is there to do it for me. He made more from one job I gave him my first year than he lost in lawns to me. I have given him several landscaping jobs in two years that he would not have gotten otherwise. My prices are also higher than his prices on lawns. If something happens to me and I can not work, my lawns will be taken care of on a regular basis from him. I know he will not stab me because he stands to loose more than he would gain because of the other things I do. I have become the property manager for over a dozen big residential properties.

Think outside of lawns and landscaping and do anything and everything. Once you get going, you can then weed out what you don't want to do and focus on what you really want to do.