PDA

View Full Version : bypass oil cooler on kohlers

milo
04-16-2007, 06:41 PM
i am going to bypass the oil cooler on my kohler because the plastic piece broke and in not spending 110.00 for that. anyone else do that? my dealer says he does it alot for people.

Scag48
04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
The oil cooler is there for a reason, I wouldn't bypass it.

Richard Martin
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Wow, that's a lot of money for a sandwich adapter. I don't really think I'd pay any more than $30 for one. Summit Racing has tons of them (in aluminum) for cheap. I don't know right off hand which one fits the Kohler engine but Kohler takes a standard oil filter so they should have one. If you call them up and tell them you need an adapter to fit a Purolator L10241 filter they should be able to hook you up.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=sandwich+adapter&searchinresults=false&N=+115&y=9&x=23

Richard Martin
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Never mind my previous message, I thought the adapter broke, not the cooler. In any case, check the Summit site anyway, they may have another plate cooler that will work.

milo
04-17-2007, 09:16 PM
hi it was the adaptor behind the oil filter. it is plastic. i did bypass the oil cooler and it is fine. one dealer said that it only lowers oil temp about 5 to 8 degrees so not bad. i dont run the mower for more than 30 minutes at a time so it is fine

Richard Martin
04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Actually Dixie Chopper used to use a large conventional oil cooler mounted over the engine on their mowers. They did tests and found they were dropping the oil temp by like 30 degrees or so. Kohler noticed that Dixie Chopper owners were getting approximately 25% more hours from their engines than any other brand of mower and attributed the extended life in part to the oil cooler. At that point Kohler made the oil cooler standard on their commercial engines and the cooler is so efficient that Dixie has stopped using their own oil cooler.

I guess as long as you aren't planning on running the mower for a long time you'll be ok but if you plan to keep it I'd get it fixed. Like I wrote above Summit Racing can get you a new sandwich adapter for the price of a oil change on your truck.

milo
04-18-2007, 02:46 PM
i put on a walmart filter that is like 2 inches longer than the kohler filter so with the extra oil in it and longer filter to cool the oil it will be just fine.
also my dealer said he does it for people and never had any trouble.

tomo
04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
hello, 4 the longevity of your engine reconnect cooler asap .
From experience particularly the v twins run very hot oil
220--250 f
Running a larger filter does more 4 increasing total volume ofd oil than any thing else .eg gives oil greater dirt holding capacity and due to the quantity being greater life of oil is increased [in your case the small filter extended slightly will not acheive much ,small size any way]

running the size filters u r talking about will make no diff on a temperature guage

tomo:waving:

Bill Kapaun
04-19-2007, 04:57 PM
A 2" longer filter will give about 6 oz. more oil capacity and about 20 SQ-IN of cooling area.
The additional oil capacity should reduce "peak oil temperatures" some amount due to its "heat sink" capability. OF course capacity will still be much less w/o the cooler
The extra cooling area of the filter certainly has to have "some" effect vs the shorter filter.
If I was using the machine in 100 degree temps, I'd say get the cooler fixed. In more moderate temps, the OP will probably be OK.