PDA

View Full Version : Can I hear from people who like Gear driven wb's?

Vikings
04-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I got a feeling thats all I'll be able to afford. I looked at a 48" exmark for $4000, belt driven or whatever. A hydro would cost about twice as much around here.

I really don't want to hear about how much better someone thinks about hydro because I've heard that (and believe it) so often.

fiveoboy01
04-16-2007, 06:50 PM
If all you can afford is a belt drive, I wouldn't buy anything but a Toro T-bar with a TurboForce Deck, just my opinion.

Or you can search for something used with low hours. Deep discounts can be had on used stuff.

Petr51488
04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I have a 36'' Metro HP belt driven. I have had zero problems with it. I don't mow in the rain, so belt slippage never happens. Just replace the belts once every 2 years or so.

mcwlandscaping
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
48" metro w/ ECS for me...LOVE the thing, no problems at all, doesn't slip at all even in rain!! While pulling velkeX2

Vikings
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Unfortunetly, I don't have a lot of options here in Winnipeg and this is actually the first exmark I ever seen i think. It had the ECS, I asked him about belts slipping and he said something about them having a double V (i don't know).

Basically no one uses them in this town and he almost never sells one. He does sell Z's but that's to much also.

One of my guys is 6'9" he could probably walk 6 miles an hour so forget the Sulkey maybe:) As far as used stuff, its all John Deere no toros or exmarks at all.

lawnpro724
04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Go with Toro! The new Toro walkbehinds for 2007 have the Turboforce deck and they have one of the best cuts out there. I bought my new belt drive Toro Turboforce deck T-bar, 15hp v-twin kaw w/tru trak sulky for $3700 and it leaves a great cut long,wet, or however you have to cut. I have been using it all spring and its been wet out most days we cut and I have never had a problem with the belts slipping, tires spinning is another story but that will happen with just about any mower when its wet out and your mowing hills.

LindblomRJ
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I like the Toro with T-bar. Playing around Saturday in my lawn, all was done in pretty short order. Can't wait to get started.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
We like both. Obviously we love our hydros, but we have a 36" Metro that is a staple to our lawn trailer. That thing is a work horse.

Tom c.
04-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Ive got a BOBCAT 36in w/b belt driven so far so good. Ill try a hydro next but Im part time right now [yes Im legal] Im slowly building up equipment inventory to go full time! But anyway Ive got no complaints so far!!:laugh:

martinfan06
04-17-2007, 06:38 AM
If all you can afford is a belt drive, I wouldn't buy anything but a Toro T-bar with a TurboForce Deck, just my opinion.

Or you can search for something used with low hours. Deep discounts can be had on used stuff.

Same here if belt driven is where your at, Toro T bar is what you need. Dont have a dealer close buy find 1 you wont be let down this mower style is in a class by it self. Yove got all other belt drives then youve got your hydros, T-bar is in the middle best belt drive IMO.

martinfan06
04-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Unfortunetly, I don't have a lot of options here in Winnipeg and this is actually the first exmark I ever seen i think. It had the ECS, I asked him about belts slipping and he said something about them having a double V (i don't know).

Basically no one uses them in this town and he almost never sells one. He does sell Z's but that's to much also.

One of my guys is 6'9" he could probably walk 6 miles an hour so forget the Sulkey maybe:) As far as used stuff, its all John Deere no toros or exmarks at all.

Well guess that answers that................good luck

nobagger
04-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I have both a Toro T bar 48" (for sale) and a 36" Exmark Metro HP, both machines are great...zero problems with either. Yes in the rain at times they can slip but not often and not to the point of effecting the cut or time spent on the job. The Toro IMO is a better machine, the reverse is much better than the Exmark. For a savings of usually half compared to a hydro and much cheaper to maintain to me its worth the belt drive's.

JRS Landscaping
04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
gear drives are perfectly good machines. they are not bad operating i used to have my main machine 48 lesco belt and it was fine. i just upgraded this year to a tthp 48 cause i had some $$ laying around. i still run a gear drive 32

Vikings
04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Turns out I can get a gear driven Toro T Bar 36" for $3800 Dealer sounded upfront and honest. A 48" would cost $4400 but with the 36" I wouldn't need a trailer... I don't have a trailer so I'm thinking the 36" would be a better fit.

dmc337
04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
My first machine (I still have it) is a 1986 or 87 Scag 36 WB. Price was right and I still use it (looks kinda rough but cuts like a mofo). I also had to go the no trailer route for my first year. Get good ramps and BE CAREFUL.

charmill26
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
yea im using an 89 scag beltdrive 36" still. never had a problem with it yet. bought for cheap with a new engine on it. a hydro woudl be nice but it works and cuts great

dmc337
04-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Since I got that 36 scag, I also bought (used of course) a 52" Snapper Pro Hydro, and an older model Scag 52 Hydro. I still keep the 36 on the trailer for backup (and primary use on more than a few accounts).

kkls2006
04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
We have 2 Bobcat walk behinds ( 1 52" Floating Deck) & (1 36" Fixed Deck) Both are decent machines With Kawi's on them they run and cut decent but if it's just a little wet they are a PITA belts slip all the time. The 52" slips when it's dry if you have the JRCO on it as well. My next purchase will have to be a Hydro for sure.

C&K
04-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Nothing wrong with a belt drive. Hydro has better performance on inclines and side hills. How about considering a Quick-44? Single hydro for less than $4,000.00. I believe $3499.00. Only drawback is you have to order it.

C&K
04-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Check out the "quick 36" thread on this forum. Has good pics of the 36" model.

Vikings
04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Nothing wrong with a belt drive. Hydro has better performance on inclines and side hills. How about considering a Quick-44? Single hydro for less than $4,000.00. I believe $3499.00. Only drawback is you have to order it.

I have considered it but...

The thing is I'm buying another power rake and a push blower. I want 2 power rakes and one push mower working the same yard for spring clean ups and maybe an extra guy for bagging. I can't work any of the machines as I have to answer the phone. I'm putting three time the flyers this year as last and I was swamped last year.
I also have $2700 in advertising and other little things, $5000+ before I even start clean ups so I'm strapped for cash. I'll buy the Walk behind mower with the clean up profit so if I ordered Quick 36 and things weren't in stock (which has happened) I would be fubared plus I'm kinda iffy on them.

I just have to make a Perfect Buying decision, I want a proven machine. If I already had 5 Walk behinds and a lot of money I would definitely try a Quick but they are very far away from where I live and in a different country. Canada customs might keep that mower for a while if it suits them (those bastards:nono: )

C&K
04-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Correction. Quick 44 is $2500.00!

C&K
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I hear ya! I would feel alot more comfortable buying a mower from my local dealer, also. Good luck with your decision!

supercuts
04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
i only have my WB for a few lawns with gates so the belt was fine for me, back when we only used WB's and they were belt driven they did suck if they got real wet, the nice thing is that blowers dry belts off remarkably quick. it sucks to dry your belt every lawn in the rain, but if thats your setup you do what you have to do

topsites
04-17-2007, 09:40 PM
It's all I've owned are gear drives, then again I only use Toro.

Who needs hydros when you have T-bar controls?

nobagger
04-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Check out the "quick 36" thread on this forum. Has good pics of the 36" model.

I'm sorry, and it may be a great machine but if I cant put my hands on it before I invest thousands of dollars I "aint" buyin' it!

Vikings
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Both my first 52" floats were Toro gear drives, both my current 48" fixed deck are belt driven Toros.

I refuse to touch it if it's not a T-bar operated Toro, I think that's the whole thing right there, I never understood how folks can tolerate pistol grips / ecs, just to spend an extra grand and get a hydro which then you need a bigger engine because the pumps sap the power... idk, idk...:confused:
I knew that you were heavily into Toro 48 fixed but I assumed it was hydro. I guess because there is so many people set on hydro but I never hear people being loyal to Gear driven.. well until now, lol.

LindblomRJ
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Who needs hydros when you have T-bar controls?

Finally! Topsites answered a question with a brief to the point statement that makes sense.