PDA

View Full Version : Web Site

toddsasphalt
04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
How many contractors have a web site for their asphalt sealing business? If you do have a web site, how well does it work for you with regards to job contacts.

toddq33
04-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't but I am considering putting one up. Can't hurt, and can write off the costs of hosting and domain registration also.

toddsasphalt
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
I am in the process of getting my information together to create a site. There are a couple of local companies that will set me up with the development and domain registration. I will let everyone know if it works with regards to customer growth. It is costing me around $ 700.00 to create and there will be a $ 300.00 a year site maintenance.

linepainter
04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Try www.pavementweb.com, it cost me 200.00 to build the site and $8.95 per month.

toddsasphalt
04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Thank you for the information. The cost is very resonable and I have contacted them to see what it takes to get started.

SealAndCoat
06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Pavement Web's websites look like they were made in 1995. Too cheesy and amateur looking

BPC
06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
$200 is right on with a template like that. Cheaper sites are normally done with a template. If you want custom graphics the sites are normally more expensive.

What are you getting fopr $300 a year maintenance..

TheDrivewayDoctor
06-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I went to college for Website Design and Networking and currently own a Web Hosting company on top of my Driveway Sealing business so thankfully for me it costs me nothing to design my own website.

BPC
06-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I went to college for Website Design and Networking

Same here but I don't it anymore. My wife has completely taken over the web hosting and design. She is a better graphics designer then I am anyway and she is home with the kids all day so she can work on it more often.

TheDrivewayDoctor
06-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Same here but I don't it anymore. My wife has completely taken over the web hosting and design. She is a better graphics designer then I am anyway and she is home with the kids all day so she can work on it more often.

Nice! My wife does sales for our Driveway Business. Our webhosting business is 100% automated. Customer picks plan, orders, pays, server sends login details.

I still do the web design in the evenings when I'm done driveways though!

WebMan
06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
To the moderators-no advertising intended, self defense, so if this breaks any rules you have my apologies, trying hard to word things not to)

PavementWeb is one of my ventures (not the one used by most landscapers).
We have an exceptional (almost 99%) 5 year retention rate there, so something must be right.
As far as "cheesy, or template looking" many of our customers want "the basics on a budget" and you don't get lots of bells & whistles for $135-$225 (our average customer's budget).

BUT what do customers (you know those people you want to get) want in that type site? ...Flashy animation, bells & whistles, etc... Nope
3 things:
Does this company do what I need? (must be #1 thing on homepage)
Why are they better at doing it or a better value than others?
Why should (and how do I) contact them now?

Convey those three things the web site brings you business, miss on any one and no matter how "fancy" it is it doesn't do anything but make you think "wow I have a cool web site". (OOPS's you don't need to hire a landscaper or sealcoater)

Customers do not come to contracting & service-oriented web sites to be "wowed" with cool web-site stuff. They come to get the 3 things above as quick & easy as possible.
And if it works, don't fix it.

As to the other post for $300 a year they better be doing a LOT of whatever "maintenance" means. That sounds like a clever way to cover for over-pricing something by calling it "maintenance".

PS: If you want a fancy web site and have the $$ it's not that we can't do it, we just usually are not asked. Also many of our customers want fast turn-around and fancy & fast usually don't go together.
I have not seen a single site on here from any company that was that difficult or extraordinary (although some are very nice) except the one fellow who has spent hundreds of hours on his over the years and it has about a million pages on everything you ever wanted to know about landscaping AND his part of the USA...great site, but he's not "average"... he both knows how and enjoys spending his spare time tinkering with it.

PavementWeb does what it does and if it suits you it's what made that venture the largest single pavement-related hosting firm.
But if not there are many-many web designers out there (in fact there is a glut because many kids went to college for years to learn web design only to find out by the time they graduated the job market was over-saturated, nowadays it's programmers and network technicians that make the big $$)

I just advise people not to spend thousands on some way-out web site for any service provider unless you have (a) an unlimited budget and (b) want to be able to say "wow I have the coolest web site in town"
...and beware, there are many web design companies that subcontract to the far east & India and you well may not be happy with what you get...check references before you send money..and there are also many "hosts" that are just resellers on another host's servers (like a middleman) usually not the best idea for business hosting... ;)

tom wilson
08-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I am in my 2nd year do i need a web site?

BPC
08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
In my opinion you should have one as soon as possible. Think about a 24 hour a day 7 day a week commercial for your company. If you put your domain on your cards and any advertisements you do it will allow people to get as much info on you as possible.

WebMan
08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
ANY business needs a web site. These days if you don't have one it's like you're not a "real" business to most people. It's just expected.
With sites starting from $8.95 if you do it yourself or less than $200 for custom built they are surely within any businessman's price range. :)

shepoutside
08-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I have had a web site since I started, and it has done very well. I would suggest a web site is a must. If budget is limited, then try the free web site. It cost me less then 20 bucks a year,for the .com name, and I had many hits with the site, now 2 sites, and the web site is free, and dose everything I need it to do. It's easy to use, even for non computer people. Web man points are good, and should be followed as to content. I would also question what " maintenance" is, and for that amount too .:rolleyes: