PDA

View Full Version : Initial Estimates-Bids/What do You Do?

BD Bone
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
When you get that 1st call from a new potential client for a mow job, do you make that appointment w/the potential client as a walk-thru or just survey the property without them? What do you do with the residential clients vs. the commercial? Just curious on what has/has not worked for you.

Thanks.

martinfan06
04-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Ive always tried to do a walk thur with the client, doesn't always happen but its a double edged sword. In 1 way its good that you can understand the client better,is this going to be a PITA or a good client kind of feel them out. The other side is where they tell you how and when and so on of how the last guy did it or how they want this or that done, hate that. Yes there are always things that certain people want thats understandable, But when they practically want you to show up and they hold your hand no way. So sometimes I like the old well drop me off a price and Ill get back with you.

GreenN'Clean
04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I try to meet and greet them while going over there property but sometimes schedules don't always allow for it and I have to over look it on my own and call them with a price if its a residential property. But if its a commercial property I always want the client there during the walk through just to cover everything there wanting to have done

TFmike
04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I prefer to meet them, however I have some customer I have never meet, also a real estate company who just faxes me a list of relocation or foreclouseure properties to take care of until furthur notice, I'm fair and the pay weekly, WORKS GOOD.

johnnywill08
04-21-2007, 04:43 PM
i hate mtg with prospects, but i close at least twice as many face to face. must be my winning personality..... lol but seriously, once you get confident in your knowledge & self-presentation, only way to go. connect with em, you got em. also, its WAY harder for them to say no to your face, or after, once they've met you- human nature.....

topsites
04-22-2007, 09:52 AM
My favorite is when I never see them, get the info, look at it, give them the price, if yes then do it, leave a bill, get check in the mail. Gets to where I dislike it if I have to talk to them every time I come out.

johnnywill08
04-23-2007, 08:17 AM
My favorite is when I never see them, get the info, look at it, give them the price, if yes then do it, leave a bill, get check in the mail. Gets to where I dislike it if I have to talk to them every time I come out.

me too..... my favorite cutomer is the first one i ever signed up. pays on time and five years later i've still never met her face to face, its great!

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I find that meeting them makes the likelihood of getting the job much higher. It puts a face with the company and I always dress nicely and present a professional image.

Tvov
04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
A combination of what people have posted is what I like to do. I like to walk the property first without the customer present, then meet them later to again walk the property. That way I will have questions ready, and they can answer them right there and point out anything unusual with the property. I do like to walk the property with a customer, because there is almost always questions about property lines and details regarding work that are best answered in person.

After this, I'm with topsites. My days go much smoother if I never actually have to talk to customers, lol!

johnnywill08
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
A combination of what people have posted is what I like to do. I like to walk the property first without the customer present, then meet them later to again walk the property. That way I will have questions ready, and they can answer them right there and point out anything unusual with the property. I do like to walk the property with a customer, because there is almost always questions about property lines and details regarding work that are best answered in person.

After this, I'm with topsites. My days go much smoother if I never actually have to talk to customers, lol!

i do that too, but its an awful lot of time to kill unless you effectively prescreen them, no?

Tvov
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
i do that too, but its an awful lot of time to kill unless you effectively prescreen them, no?

Yes, it can be. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about that.

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 12:07 AM
I prefer to meet with a potential customer. I can sell my services easier, and address any questions/concerns right there on the spot with them, and point out any concerns that I may have.

Up to this point, I have landed a signed agreement from every customer I've met face to face, except for one. And that guy was price shopping, I think he wanted me to undercut his current LCO.

johnnywill08
04-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I prefer to meet with a potential customer. I can sell my services easier, and address any questions/concerns right there on the spot with them, and point out any concerns that I may have.

Up to this point, I have landed a signed agreement from every customer I've met face to face, except for one. And that guy was price shopping, I think he wanted me to undercut his current LCO.

i dont like to mess with the five-o, but, cmon, you're closin every prospect??? you're either shorting yourself or visibly wearin your piece to the estimates. hell, if you showed up at my house with a loaded weapon, i'd give you my lawn, too.... lol.:gunsfirin

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 08:47 PM
i dont like to mess with the five-o, but, cmon, you're closin every prospect??? you're either shorting yourself or visibly wearin your piece to the estimates. hell, if you showed up at my house with a loaded weapon, i'd give you my lawn, too.... lol.:gunsfirin

Well, A) I don't do EVERY estimate face-to-face and B) It's not like I'm doing 10 a day. Some days the phone doesn't ring once, others it rings 4 or 5 times. I'd say that I give about 1/3 of my estimates face to face.

Oh, you can make that TWO that I didn't close now. Had someone tell me that they were going to stick with their current LCO whom they've had for 4 years. He is quitting doing snow, and they gave me their snow and were considering adding me on for the lawn service as well.

I assure you it's not my pricing. I charge 40 for a 1/4 or less acre subdivision lot, period. I've picked up 3 of these in the last 2 days with not one whimper about the price.

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 08:49 PM
PS - the "fiveo" has absolutely nothing to do with law enforcement:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/fiveoboy01/wheelsup.jpg

ccondie
04-27-2007, 12:53 AM
I always like to meet them face to face. To me it seems more professional, then that way you know exactly what they want and SOME times it makes it a little harder for then to turn ya down.

topsites
04-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I find meeting face-to-face noticeably increases my chances of quoting a lower price than what I might've bid otherwise. I do close less sales by not meeting, but the ones I do close are more to my liking pricewise.

I just gave 4 estimates, all pita jobs (overgrown or some mickey mouse or what have you), and bid high on every last one. One said yes, that's all I need. Now I'll spend the time there doing the job right, I got elbow room to play with and I'm not just sticking an extra $20 in my pocket for free, but I have that extra in which I can spend effort getting the q into the quality aspect. The other three, they can call around and someone else can bust their tail sweating bullets over the cost / labor issue, I'm done with that, give me some rope here.