PDA

View Full Version : Cant reverse while blades are engaged

gravtyklz
04-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey I have an MTD Garden Tractor that I'm mowing with and that i'll be starting out with until I generate the $$$ for something commercial.

It has some safety feature that cuts the engine off if you go into reverse while the engine is going. I know how that works and I just removed the wire that makes that happen.

Now thinking about it though....would there be any particular reason why one shouldnt reverse while the blades are spinning?

ChadsLawn
04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I would imagne its a saftey feature, just incase there's a child behind you or a pet. But Im not really sure. If commercial mowers were that way, it would suck big time.

gravtyklz
04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah disengaging the blades, slowing down the idle, backing up putting it in foward, engaging blades, put the idle up.......that gets old and is a lot harder on the belt im sure.

newz7151
04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
yeah disengaging the blades, slowing down the idle, backing up putting it in foward, engaging blades, put the idle up.......that gets old and is a lot harder on the belt im sure.

It is there to comply with residential use ANSI safety codes. If there were no such thing as lawyers, you could back up with your baldes on all you want.

lawnspecialties
04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Check to see if there's a way built in to override this. I know on some Deere's I used to run, you had to pull the PTO switch up while beginning reverse. It was there to remind you to check behind you, not inhibit you. :)

gravtyklz
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
I pulled the wire so as far as its concerned I'm never really in reverse!

fixer67
04-17-2007, 08:31 PM
What started the "no-mow-in-reverse" bull is some fool backed up over a kid while mowing and cut it to death. Now every one has to pay for his dumb a$$ mistake.

Mark in MD
04-18-2007, 07:29 AM
What started the "no-mow-in-reverse" bull is some fool backed up over a kid while mowing and cut it to death. Now every one has to pay for his dumb a$$ mistake.I was just about to mention that.

pugs
04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Most of those machines have a button you have to press and hold when you shift to reverse. See alot of that on MTD stuff. Does AYP or EHP or whoever they are use that at all?

JamesGarfield
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
MTD 600 and 700 series have 5 safety interlocks.

One "operator presence" switch on the seat.

One for Neutral Sense in the transaxle.

One for Clutch Depressed.

And one for Blades Disengaged.

These 4 are required for starting.

A 2'nd Operator Presence switch senses Reverse, and kills the engine if Reverse is selected while the blades are engaged. Most MTD's have a bypass plug located on the shift lever cover, for those who want to disable this.

Those that don't have the bypass switch, just go inside and unplug a plug from the seat switches. Few users tolerate this Backup Saftey interlock, so it's one of the first things to be bypassed.

By these words I'm not pushing or promoting MTD's as serious commercial grade equipment -- just answering the poster's question about the system.

lifetree
04-24-2007, 05:25 PM
What started the "no-mow-in-reverse" bull is some fool backed up over a kid while mowing and cut it to death. Now every one has to pay for his dumb a$$ mistake.

I understand that this person must have been really stupid, however, this post sounds particularly cold and callous to me ... afterall, it was a child that apparently died ... why don't we say a prayer for him ??