PDA

View Full Version : help with grassy weeds

lawnbridge
04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
This is my first season of spraying and now I am getting hammered with grassy weeds. Need some feedback on what you guys use. I live in Texas and temp right now is averaging about 75-77 degrees. I have been told to use MSMA when temp is consistently over 80. Help

ed2hess
04-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I will bump you along I am interested in answer.....always thought MSMA won't work until it get almost in the 90F?

Shades of Green LService
04-17-2007, 09:37 PM
If your spraying zoysia or bermuda, your not supposed to spray when temps are over 90. The temps you posted are ideal for msma. Also tells you turf tolerance will vary with different zoysia cultivars.

cemars
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
This is my first season of spraying and now I am getting hammered with grassy weeds. Need some feedback on what you guys use. I live in Texas and temp right now is averaging about 75-77 degrees. I have been told to use MSMA when temp is consistently over 80. Help

I hope you already have the MSMA as it is no longer available for sale. Drive or Acclaim Extra are other options.

Shades of Green LService
04-17-2007, 10:15 PM
I hope you already have the MSMA as it is no longer available for sale. Drive or Acclaim Extra are other options.

What are you talking about? My dealer has a fresh new stock of Trimec Plus ai. MSMA. However, i wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

cemars
04-17-2007, 10:29 PM
What are you talking about? My dealer has a fresh new stock of Trimec Plus ai. MSMA. However, i wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

MSMA has lost EPA registration, the stuff your vendor has isn't fresh or it has something else other than MSMA for grassy weed post, but I won't miss it either.

Shades of Green LService
04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
MSMA has lost EPA registration, the stuff your vendor has isn't fresh or it has something else other than MSMA for grassy weed post, but I won't miss it either.

ai. MSMA 18% , but maybe it is not " fresh" I was going to switch to Q4 this year anyway

cemars
04-17-2007, 10:47 PM
ai. MSMA 18% , but maybe it is not " fresh" I was going to switch to Q4 this year anyway

I started using Q4 last summer and already reorderd for this year, a little pricey but a great product, hopefully I won't need much!

Shades of Green LService
04-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I started using Q4 last summer and already reorderd for this year, a little pricey but a great product, hopefully I won't need much!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how well it does. It's gotten good reviews on here. We'll see.

LawnDawg65
04-18-2007, 07:45 AM
If your spraying zoysia or bermuda, your not supposed to spray when temps are over 90. The temps you posted are ideal for msma. Also tells you turf tolerance will vary with different zoysia cultivars.

Wow, don't spray MSMA on bermuda when temps are over 90, to think I have been doing that for 20 years with excellent results, quite the contrary down here - the hotter the better, it's the morning temps that get too cool right now that affect it, I generally won't start using it until mid May. that said when I run out this year I will learn about a few other products.

americanlawn
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
MSMA fry's dallisgrass -- especially when it's hot. Not sure if it's still sold???

We spot treated it -- even when it was 100 dgrees.. Some yellowing out of St.Augustine sometimes, but it always recovered.

95% of our lawns were St. Augustine. Thats where we sprayed for Dallisgrass.

The other 5% was bermuda & tif bermuda.

This was in Dallas, TX and San Antonio, TX.

Hope this helps.

ThreeWide
04-19-2007, 07:42 AM
You need to classify what types of grassy weeds are present.

Each type requires a different control method.

LawnJohn
04-19-2007, 08:39 AM
^^^^ What Turf Unlimited said....

donal
04-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Ive done it for many years on Hybrid bermuda fairways. However need to take into account all factors. If the soil is dry and the plant is stressed it may lead to burn, so watering before and after is important. Also the concentration is critical. Ive used low doses every 7-10 days (25-30ml/100m2) which is fine for controling some grasses. However some grasses need a real kick in the pants at full strength (90-110ml/ 100m2) such as Paspalum dilatatum (think you guys call it Dallis Grass over there). This can burn bad but ensure its watered for 4 days prior , spray early morning or in evening when its cooled down a bit, then water daily for next 4 days. Often there is some yellowing of couch from MSMA, but this is normal and disappears after 5 days

Shades of Green LService
04-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow, don't spray MSMA on bermuda when temps are over 90, to think I have been doing that for 20 years with excellent results, quite the contrary down here - the hotter the better, it's the morning temps that get too cool right now that affect it, I generally won't start using it until mid May. that said when I run out this year I will learn about a few other products.

Just quoting what the lable says.

ThreeWide
04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
FWIW, if you manage lots of Bermuda and run into a gamut of grassy weeds this time of year, this is something worth considering.

Mix up a batch of MSMA and then add either Revolver or Certainty.

This mix will be good for Fescue, Poa, and Dallis which are the main problems this time of year. Goosegrass may not be up yet, but if you have Revolver in this mix it will be effective on it as well. Even if you see some crabgrass, that is fine since the MSMA alone will attack it. If you added Certainty, now you have a sure fire control for Nutsedge too.

Sometimes you don't want to spend a lot of time analyzing a grassy weed, this mix allows you to just spray it and move on. When it gets hotter, you will want to back off on the MSMA rate somewhat.

ArchiesLawns
04-20-2007, 08:10 PM
With temps around 75-77 degrees and you are spraying 5qts per 1000'. At what rate do you mix the MSMA for these temps? The MSMA I have has 6 lbs of ai per gallon.

Thanks for any help

Archie