PDA

View Full Version : Stihl trimmer is shocking me!!

RyanCanMow
08-02-2001, 12:28 AM
My stihl trimmer FS 85 is shocking me when the engine is running and my hands are wet from the sweat down here in Mississippi !!
When my hands touch the shaft or the bolt in the handle, a shock goes through my hands and down into my legs when it touches my legs. I see guys trimming in the rain, and their trimmers don't seem to be having problems. Mine is shocking so bad that my crew won't even use it!! The Stihl stick edger I have is starting to shock me too. The trimmer is 3 yrs. old, and the edger is 2 years old. It's almost like something is wearing out in the engine to cause it. It really aggravates me. I thought Stihl were some of the best equipment, but I can't stand having faulty equipment!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fivestarlawnken
08-02-2001, 01:43 AM
i would start by calling local dealers and run it by them and see what they have to say. or go to the top and call sthil directly this seems like an important safety issue. also watch belt buckels and watches around the spark pluk area i learned once while holding a power pruner 12 feet in the air.

Calvin
08-02-2001, 01:53 AM
STHIL TRIMMERS
Bad carbs, iffy wiring, & a new problem with my newest FS85, the trimmer head cap keeps falling off while trimming. Lost 3 in a week at $24 per. Never again STHIL. Been burned 3 times. First 2 FS76's not bad but problems 3rd FS85 a nightmare. Just waiting now for it to start shocking me.
Ryan,
Could be a loose wire in the throttle housing.

Scag48
08-02-2001, 02:19 AM
Only in Canada Calvin, only in Canada...LOL J/K. I think Stihl trimmers are great! Some of the better ones out there. I've used a few different models and like 'em. They've got my vote for my next trimmer.

KirbysLawn
08-02-2001, 03:12 AM
I have trimmed in the rain and with heavy sweat with mine and have never been shocked by my trimmer.
When I first go tmy Shin blower it did shock me a few times, found the ground wire had fell out of the tube. It really made my hair stand up. http://diesel-central.com/Forum/images/nahnah.gif

http://uglypeople.com/uglymen/ugly-images/up-men-00294.jpg

strickdad
08-02-2001, 03:17 AM
here is a test you can try!!!!! (im a mechanic so i know this works) take you r weed eater out in the driveway at dark pplace it on the ground crank it let it run till it warms up .. get a squirt bottle with tap water in it while weed eater is running spray a mist on and around spark plug wire. you should see (if its what i suspect.) a small or several small electrical sparks grounding back to something metal (motor mufflar etc.) i think your plug wire is breaking down and shorting out.....

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-03-2001, 09:19 AM
I have the same problem , but with my redmax back pack ! I get shocked off of the throttle lever. It' s really annoying. I have had the problem since it was new. Brought it back 3 or 4 times to my dealer and they regrounded, and rewired and replaced all sorts of ignition and electrical parts and the thing still does it. it's not 3 years old and has about 2 hours on it.. Good return on investment. it's an eb431. I nave another eb431 that s' now 5 years old an dnever had a problem with it.. I thing equipmnet is just like people , some just dont' want to work : )

One thing I was told , at least with the blower, not sure if this could also apply to the trimmers, but in really dusty conditions the blower fan while spinnig in the housing , if dirt gets in there and can some how cause static electricity , that s causing the shock ing ???

awm
08-03-2001, 06:51 PM
off the subject but i worked for a guy when i was young .
his favorite trick was to hold a plug wire with engine running
and ask me or one of the help to hand him a wrench or something. ill let you guess what happened. but kirbys picture gets close.:D

eslawns
08-03-2001, 11:07 PM
One thing I was told , at least with the blower, not sure if this could also apply to the trimmers, but in really dusty conditions the blower fan while spinnig in the housing , if dirt gets in there and can some how cause static electricity , that s causing the shock ing ???

Blower? Yes. Trimmer? No. The blower housings on Redmax are plastic, which attract charged particles. The blower impeller pulls a bunch of these through and a charge will build up. I get shocked once in a while by my EB4300, but I have started keeping my left hand so that it touches the pivot screw on the throttle assembly.

For the trimmer, I'd say check to see if the spark plug is gapped too wide, or if there is some small piece of metal that is conducting the current to ground. If that isn't it, try using another ignition wire. Current will always take the path of least resistance, so this one shouldn't be too hard to fix.