PDA

View Full Version : Need walkway advise

Lawnworks
04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a client that want a walkway w/ 4x4s holding pea gravel and stepping stones. What is the best way to secure 4x4s to the ground and to each other? I was thinking nail spikes(12" long) and maybe some type of brace/bracket securing them to each other, or possibly wood screws. What do you think?

Bigred350
04-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Take some treated 2x4s cut them about 12"to 18" long. Cut a point on one end and drive them into the ground. Then screw them to the 4x4s. Make sure you use out door screws.....not cheap sheatrock screws.

Lawnworks
04-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Take some treated 2x4s cut them about 12"to 18" long. Cut a point on one end and drive them into the ground. Then screw them to the 4x4s. Make sure you use out door screws.....not cheap sheatrock screws.

That sounds like a good idea... how would you secure the 4x4s to each other? The walkway will terrace a couple of times... and I plant to basically box it in and step it down... so how would you secure the 4x4s to each other perpindicularly(sp)?

Coffeecraver
04-17-2007, 08:53 PM
The pea gravel will always move and could become hazardous
with stepping stones.

If you must use gravel use aggregate that has edges

Place the rebar on alternate sides of the timber to hold it in place.

If you use the spikes pre-drill the holes half way

Focal Point Landscapes
04-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Use 2 foot sections of rebar - if you secure each 4x4 and butt them together , they won't move so a toenailed deck screw will hold them just fine. He's not going to like the peagravel - goes everywhere , gets on the stepping stones .... call me if you need some help :)