PDA

View Full Version : Problems with John Deer

0harley5
04-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I hope some one can help me. I have a John Deere with 17 HP Kawasaki engine. The engine starts and runs fine. I noticed today a gas leak in front of the engine. Dug into it a bit and found about a 1/8 id tube coming from the top of the carburetor. The other end was open and gas was pouring out when the engine is running. It looks like the loose end is swelled out like it was plugged on to another pipe bit I can't find where. The tube is about 3 inches long and looks like an overflow. The engine model is FH500V-AS11. i WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

MowerMedic77
04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite:drinkup:

Yes that is your over flow and no it does not hook to anything it is designed to pour out instead of fill your engine with gas. You will need to remove your fuel bowl off of the bottom of the carb and pull the float and needle clean out at the seat(wet a q-tip with carb spray) and inspect the needle(rubber tip) do not use carb spray on the tip. If it still leaks then you may need to repl. the needle, or repl the entire carb.
And since you mower is a JD you will need to go through your JD Dealer for any of the parts since the John Deere spec will not cross over.

0harley5
04-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks MowerMedic77,
I will try this when I get off work today.

fireman649
04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I had the same problem on my John Deere 17 hp Kawi. The float was bad on mine and I had fuel coming out the overflow also.