PDA

View Full Version : Important tip for gaining clients.

Wells
04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Return the clients phone call!
Had a guy call me today for a lawn bid and after meeting with him he mentioned that he called (5) lawn care providers for bids and I was the only one to return his phone call. Needless to say with no other competition I was able to price it on the high side and still get the job.

Gaining clients is sometimes as simple as returning a phone call. I hear from clients all the time that they have problems getting service providers to return phone calls, not just in our industry but service providers in general.

With all the money people spend on advertising and marketing why would anyone let a hot lead slip right through their hands? I have always made it a policy to return all phone calls even if I can't help them out. I've always thought it's more professional to call back rather then blow off.

bohiaa
04-17-2007, 10:16 PM
yea that's happen to me about a dozen times

LindblomRJ
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Return your calls. Always a good idea. Even if there are no openings, have the courtesy to let them know.

GravyTrain
04-18-2007, 01:06 AM
That is without a doubt one of my biggest complaints in the service industry as a whole. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get something taken care of, and it takes multiple phone calls, messages and still, the only way I get a hold of someone is constantly calling until someone actually answers.

ECS
04-18-2007, 01:19 AM
That is the biggest complaint I here from all my customers, "no one returns my phone call". Now when they want a contractor they call me and I call the contractor. I have a select list of contractors I work with on a regular basis and 1 handyman. I can usually fill their needs withing a week.

Shawns Lawns
04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
To bad you could not set up about 5 or so fictitious LCO's with answering machines and not call them back but when they call your real Business you will most likely get the job since they could not get ahold of anyone else.:laugh:

HBLandscaping
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Im right with all of you, I get these calls all the time from people who have been calling around and havent heard back from anyone. I make it a point to call people back as soon as I get their message. If Im really busy I call them right back and ask what would be a good time later in the day/evening for me to call and talk in greater detail.

ECS- Many of my clients call me the "Jack of all Trades". They always call me before they look in the phone book or start asking around. If they want someone to do something that I cant, I pull out my book (Carried in my truck) that has a list of everyone I know that does certain work. Only people who I trust and have worked with many times get there info put in this book. I also keep notes under each of these contacts information so that I can look back and see how things have went in the past. So far in 5 yrs I have never heard anything but good things from clients when I recommend someone to them.

ed2hess
04-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't want them calling.....want them to send an e-mail for service. These days people want instant phone...so if you don't pick up they move on, and that is okay with us.

TXNSLighting
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
yes, calling a customer back is key to this business. i learned that the first year.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Yea that happens every year,it's important to call them back. What i find is your lawnboys are riding by the property too, after they get the address they look it over to see if its a gravey yard to do.My cell phone is always on,you just dont no who might be calling for service.

1MajorTom
04-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Wells you are exactly right. We too have run into the same thing that you have, customers telling us that we are the only one to actually show up for the estimate.

mow & snow
04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
If you've been in the business long enough you've heard this before. I always return every call.

tinman
04-18-2007, 07:48 PM
To bad you could not set up about 5 or so fictitious LCO's with answering machines and not call them back but when they call your real Business you will most likely get the job since they could not get ahold of anyone else.:laugh:

why could you not??:confused: :confused: :confused:

tinman
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
It happens all the time. LCOs get busy & forget to call or write down a #. I try to at least call or email with a referral for services I do not do.

Sometimes its best not to even answer tho.... Today

customer: How much do you charge to cut grass.

ME: depends on the size of the lawn & frequency of service.

customer: DEPENDS ON WHAT????

ME: depends on the size of the lawn & frequency of service.

customer: Oh we just need it one time

ME: I can't do that.