PDA

View Full Version : can you stump grind near a wall?

robertb_44
04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
hi,

can you use a stump grinder where stump is 6" from wall and about 6" from an asphalt driveway on the other side? I have a customer who seems to be insisting I use a grinder or get someone who has one. I said I don't think you can use them in a small space like that and want to be certain when I rip them out by hand.

thanks for you answer

Ric3077
04-17-2007, 10:38 PM
You need a small grinder, blue bird makes one it is about the size of an aerator, if you have a United Rental by you call them.

Focal Point Landscapes
04-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Yep , a walk behind rental unit should work.

lawn and stump
04-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a rayco rg50 and can get within an inch or two.
Be sure to put up an old sheet of plywood so you don't ding siding if a rock
flies and it keeps mud off the paint.
If you are grinding deep do the call before you dig thing

If it's a big job I'm in Ct

DoetschOutdoor
04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Yea like said just go to a rental shop, Ive been using Home Depot since they have good equip and seems like the best rates around here. Around here, Vermeer is always renting the walk behinds and you could get within a couple inches of something if you really needed to. Just get it set to where you need it, apply the parking/grinding brake and go to town.

Mike Fronczak
04-18-2007, 10:22 AM
I would say that is the way to go (grinding), I have very limited experience with it. But I will tell that ripping out stuff next to driveways (as you had suggested),with roots most likly under driveways is not the way to go. Chances are you will damage the drive.

green horizons
04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
A walk behind rental unit will work well. Two catches though... It is hard to see the blade while grinding (you're at the opposite end of machine), and if it is a wide stump, it will take longer because the cutting wheel is smaller. They're effective, but pay attention. Good luck!