PDA

View Full Version : Some people are soooo stupid!!!!!!!!

SoloSulkySurfer
04-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I just woke up 12:00am to run the pumps and vacuums in my basement as it is still flooding after Sundays storm, and figured to share this story.
One of my regular lawn customers live in Florida during the winter and NJ the rest of the year. They called me to check on the house to make sure the basement wasn't flooding. So I go over, look through the basement window and see 2 feet of water. I call them and expect them to say they're heading home, since they're coming home in 2 weeks anyway. Instead they seem to want to leave the water until they come home!!! Then they tell me the power is turned off so their is no threat of fire. power was turned off in November since they failed to pay the bill!! (Sump pumps obviously run on electric, plus the heat was off so pipes prob. frooze.) Finally they decide that they will send me a key (when they get to it) and I will pump it out with a trash pump. After I get most of the water out they want me to leave it till they get home.HELLO what about MOLD Especially with a baby in the house. I dont even think they realize what they lost (furnace, washer, drier, all things in basement). Is it just me or would you guys be on the first flight home to try to save your home you worked so hard to make.

Thanks (gotta go run the pumps):hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Raven386
04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
the damage is already done. i would still come home but......

newz7151
04-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Is it just me or would you guys be on the first flight home to try to save your home you worked so hard to make.

Do you have a 2nd home somewhere in another part of the country, or are you doing good to be able to work and keep the one you have?

Bustus
04-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Clearly they aren't very organized. I would say that since they didn't really prepare their house properly, they don't care to go home early. If that was my house, I would have someone checking it every so often, but obviously their not me.

sheshovel
04-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Some people that have two homes plan their moves back and forth like clockwork and allow nothing to interfere with their plans. Probably have insurance to cover this so the damage is done can't be helped so best to let the insurance agent see it flooded than emptied. They were going to come home, call the agent and then have it emptied and cleaned out. When people are well covered by their homeowners insurance, they know those things will be replaced and it will only cost them a deductible. No biggie to them really.

sildoc
04-18-2007, 02:00 AM
There are those that worry about things that can't be changed and those that take it in stride. I am sure they know they have insurance and don't want to alter their plans. Me personally would have made sure it was sealed better to begin with so there is no ability to flood.

Big M LawnnSnow
04-18-2007, 04:16 AM
You did right by letting them know about the situation.
If they want to do nothing about it then oh well.
However if that water is going to sit there for 2 weeks and stink the place up and seep into everything and then they want you to pump it out for them the price would be alot higher.
Also remember not all homes have flood insurance.

SoloSulkySurfer
04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Nobody in my area has flood insurance, since flooding isnt a regular event around here. Homeowners insurance also does'nt cover this sort of damage. Luckily we only lost a few hundred in carpet. They on the other hand will lose thousands and I suspect have a serious health threatening mold problem. The latest is the customer is sending me a key and I will pump out the basement this weekend. However they didnt bother to send it next day air so its taking a while before I can even access the house.

Uranus
04-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Some people are soooo stupid!!!!!!!!

Yep you said it. Some are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed to breath.

I would have atleast had a family member with a key let you, or them, into the house to start the cleanup of the water. Then called service master or another cleaning company like that to schedule them to come in and take care of the final cleaning. DAM, dont peple know how sick you can get from mold. The stuff can kill you or your kids. :shakingmyhead:

Budget
04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
If they have hot water heat that might be a pipe that froze and burst open. Make sure the water is not contaminated or flamable fluids floating on top.

Shawns Lawns
04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I guess when you have more than one home you can afford to lose one.:dizzy:

SoloSulkySurfer
04-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey thanks for the tip about the water heater. Since the power was turned off I would suspect a broken pipe, yet believe the rain definetly was the main culprit. Did I mention that this isnt the first time they came back to a flooded basement. You better believe i'll be careful when I go in, no amount of money is worth injuring myself.

Big Bad Bob
04-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Do you have a 2nd home somewhere in another part of the country, or are you doing good to be able to work and keep the one you have?

kind of abrasive. how come?

MSS Mow
04-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Some people that have two homes plan their moves back and forth like clockwork and allow nothing to interfere with their plans. Probably have insurance to cover this so the damage is done can't be helped so best to let the insurance agent see it flooded than emptied. They were going to come home, call the agent and then have it emptied and cleaned out. When people are well covered by their homeowners insurance, they know those things will be replaced and it will only cost them a deductible. No biggie to them really.

Hi Sheshovel,

Even if they have insurance to cover such flooding, they are still responsible for doing what they can to mitigate the damages. By delaying cleanup, they are potentially allowing more damage to occur. IE: mold.

It's no different than if they have a broken window, they must close it up ASAP to prevent rain from entering and causing further damage.

If the insurance company can prove that their client with the flooded basement waited 2-3 weeks to report the claim, and subsequently waited until after that to begin cleanup, the insurance company could very well deny, or at least, limit the claim.

SoloSulkySurfer
04-21-2007, 09:37 PM
The latest is I went there on friday after finally recieving the keys. I was looking around and noticed a car pull behind mine in the driveway. I go up to the car and see a guy on a cell phone. It turns out he thought I was burglarizing the place and calls the cops. About 6 cops show up and I had to expalin the situation. Figures that their cousin (the one who called the cops) cant be bothered helping them with the basement. I also am waiting for them to send me the check, so still knee high water in the basement.

newz7151
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
kind of abrasive. how come?

Oh.

I meant there's people that have to care about their places and people that don't. I think those of us with little $$$$$ value what we own/bought with it and those with lots of $$$$$ think of it as something easily replaceable and of no real concern. And I would assume that somebody that can just pick up and move between two different houses depending on the season is one of the later.

topsites
04-22-2007, 09:33 AM
These folks so obviously don't care, so why should you?

SoloSulkySurfer
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
These folks so obviously don't care, so why should you?

Just my personality I guess, it is sort of the nature of the lawn service business. They are also a good lawn account that I want to keep with lots of extra work to be done.