PDA

View Full Version : Sodded lawn repair

Rick C
08-02-2001, 09:02 AM
I live in the city and my newly sodded front lawn is a bathroom for my yuppie neighbor's dogs. I want to repair the plate sized brown spots. I have, I believe, XL2000 sod. Do I cut out the brown spots down to the dirt and reseed? Can I find grass seed that will match this sod? The local gas company put down the sod and I don't know where they got it. Is there a company that supplies seed to match sod types?

Thanks,
Rick

gusbuster
08-03-2001, 01:30 AM
Check out you local nursery that sells sod for seed options. There's only so many sod farms in your area.

If your lawn was a sod job, would be much less of a hassle just to replace it with sod. Seams should dissaper within a month to month and a half.

Steps.
Buy Sod
roll sod out to cover the area you want to repair.
use a straight, not a curved shovel to edge out(cut) to repair the spot (do at least a 6" length, smaller pieces tend to dry)
scrape up and out the old grass
agitate the soil a little bit.
put down a little starter fertilizer
put down the cut sod

John

GroundKprs
08-03-2001, 10:36 AM
Your repairs will be fruitless unless the dogs are kept off in the future. Learn urine effect in detail at http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html .

A bluegrass lawn, which is probably what you have, will recover on its own within 3-4 months of no new dog urination.

You could also do a search here for "urine" and find many previous threads on thi subject.