PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Up

WannabeLawnMan
04-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Hello, I am obviously new here and amazed at the resource that seems to be available. I think that is awesome and was glad to find the site. Long and the short of it is, I am thinking of jumping careers. I currently work a job that requires nights, weekends, holidays, etc.... I have been in this job for the last 15 years and have grown tired of not being able to attend family get togethers or plan vacations until last minute.

So my plan is to start a lawn service business and looking at more or less jumping in with both feet, not with equipment purchases, just with the change of income. I realize door hangers and flyers are not always successful, but they seem to be the most common solicitation used. What type of response do you think I can expect from flyers/hangers? My plan is to distribute 2,000 to 4,000 just by foot until they are gone and campus as many homes and neighborhoods as possible. My hope is, out of those potentially 4,000 flyers, to generate 20-30 weekly accounts. That would be about .5-.75% return or success rate.

That seems reasonable. From all of your experience, is it realistic?

chrisg88
04-18-2007, 01:36 PM
normally a lot of the guys on here shoot for 1-2%. However, IMO, you are late on flyers. Definitely go ahead and put them out. Most likely all of them have received 5 other flyers before yours. Just my 2 cents

WannabeLawnMan
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
If a 1-2% is the common response rate that I would say I should be good to go. All I would actually need is the 20-30 customers to get going. I realize it is late to distribute, however I am hoping that there are still those people out there that need our service. Is that hoping too much?

timmyd32390
04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
If fliers dont work that well then what is the best method of advertising?

jason9696
04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I've used the local newspaper classifieds with no luck yet, a lot of people have seen the ad, but no customers yet. I blame most of this on the snowy conditions we have been having these past two weeks. We'll see what happens these next two weeks.

WannabeLawnMan
04-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess the main question is, is there truly power in numbers? If I can get enough flyers and door hangers out there.... Is it possible to generate 20-30 weekly accounts? If so, based on your experience how many flyers and/or door hangers would make sense? Is my thought of 2,000-4,000 realistic. I am also enlisting two self-employed friends to help spread the word. One is a flatworker and the other is a pest control guy. So they will put the word out as well. What are my odds? Thanks for all the help so far, I value it all.

chrisg88
04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
You sound like your on the right track man. That's exactly what I would do if i was in your position. just test it out. no one can predict exactly. tell us your success!