PDA

View Full Version : staining

outcold00
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
i know this really isn't in the landscaping category, but I'm 17, and do a lot of odds and ends, along with landscaping for clients, so i have a client who wants me to power wash and stain his deck, I'm going to be using his equipment, i don't have measurements now but will get them soon, but I'm just wondering if any of you might have a ball park of what to charge for square footage? like 20 or 30 .thank you

jason9696
04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Roughly how big of a deck is it? Are there rails?

outcold00
04-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Roughly how big of a deck is it? Are there rails?

umm, there are rails, on one side of the deck, its right beside a pool, i'd say its roughly 15 feet, wide, by 50 feet long

Equalizer
04-18-2007, 11:33 PM
I did a LOT of these jobs a few years ago and im 19 now so I was about the same age. Depending on how many rails there are (they are a PITA!!) that is what is going to take you the most time. I would charge at least 450 as it will take you at least 2 days if he doesnt own a good powerful powerwasher, and as long as you dont have to go buy the stain, (big $$$ for that). But you also have to take into account driving distance etc... But personally I wouldnt charge anything less then at least 450-500 it not a little more. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps

squirtgun
04-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Guestimating sq footage.I would bid this at approx $975 to $1200.This is a rough price range without actual measurements and pics.

That price would include strip,wash,neutralize and stain.It's would take us a couple of hours to strip,wash(500 psi) and neutralize wait for wood to reach proper moisture content(10% - 12%)2 or 3 dry days.3 to 5 hours to stain with oil based stain.

There is a lot more to doing a deck than balsting the snot out of it and throwing stain on it.

SongBird LawnCare
04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
very interesting information there..

i'm glad i didn't do a job i had offered last year..

something didn't seem right about just blasting the deck and throwing on stain..

but i may of been wrong..

squirtgun
04-19-2007, 12:17 AM
SingBird,
I don't mean for it to sound harsh.

The methods we use are industry standard for pressure washing and wood restoration companies.Pressure washing is what we do and while I don't discourage anyone else for doing it as an add on sevice.I do encourage them to learn proper techniques and proper pricing structures.
The price I listed above is assuming there is an existing oil based stain not water based or a solid acrylic.The price to remove those or prep them for recoat is much,much higher.

outcold00
04-19-2007, 01:01 AM
do you guys think i could get $500 to do that? even if i am 17 is that reasonable? i mean i like the numbers there and i have powerwashed and stained decks and chairs before

squirtgun
04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
$500 is one heck of a deal for the homeowner.

Good luck!

outcold00
04-19-2007, 05:45 PM
i went over and took some pics and measured actually i guessed really close to it, it was 48 feet long and 15 feet wide, the one part of the deck where the enclosed flower bed is, its 23 feet wide, theres about 29 feet of benchs too, im not a professional, but i know i can do that job, i just want to know a reasonable amount thx

Equalizer
04-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Yea, now that I see it I wouldnt do it for under at least 500 or more. its an odd shape and it is going to take a couple days to do. if the owner says thats a little high, tell him to go get some estimates and you'll take 1/4 off the lowest one, then he might reconsider taking your original price. I hope you get it tho, good luck.

squirtgun
04-19-2007, 06:09 PM
The pics help a alot.

You are actually in luck.It appears the existing stain is in good shape and an oil based semi-transparent.So no need to strip or neutralize.

This would be a maintenance job for us so pricing would be slightly lower than I orginally quoted.

A mix of household bleach,water and soap to kill all the algae will work.No real need to use the pressure washer.
Mix 2 1/2 gallons of bleach with 2 1/2 gallon of water in a 5 gallon bucket with a splash of liquid laundry detergent.Scrub the deck with a deck brush and rinse with a garden hose.Work a small section at a time and rinse.
After you have everything clean let the deck dry for a couple of days then apply stain.
If you apply stain on a wet deck it will fail quickly.

I would price this at about $795 maybe a little higher because of the benchs,but we are set up to do these jobs quickly and efficiently.

If they only wanted the floor done.Clean as described and stain you could do it for $500.It would be a total of 4.5 to 5 hrs labor for us if they are supplying stain.As a pressure washing/wood resto company we provide the stains to our customers.

squirtgun
04-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Offer them the floor only option.The benchs and rails are in perfect condition.