PDA

View Full Version : Gravely vs Exmark walk behind

Tracker
08-02-2001, 10:33 AM
I am looking at the Gravely 150 and Exmark Metro walk behind mowers. They are similar in price. How about performance and reliability? I would appreciate your comments. Also how do Kohler and Kawasaki engines compare?

Dochere
08-02-2001, 11:00 AM
Personally, I like the Metro. The hand controls are better and easier to operate than the Grav and it's easier to adjust just about everything. I defiantly would buy kohler. Both are good engines. But Kawasaki parts come from Kawasaki, hence, more expensive. I can get Kohler parts anywhere and are much better priced. At least that's how it is by us anyway. Also around here though the Metro is about $600 higher than the 150. A 48" 150 is $2195 and the Metro is $2749, this is, of coarse, with out negotiation.

Administrator
08-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Both are quality units. Demo and make sure your dealer has stock parts.

Chuck

Richard Martin
08-02-2001, 04:15 PM
If you really want a Gravely you should wait until next year to buy it. The new Gravelys are being field tested right now and they are a complete workover from the present machines.

roscioli
08-02-2001, 04:41 PM
I have never tried a grav, but I love my metro 36 with the 12.5 kawi. I think I will stick to kawi's for every mower I buy...Just my .02

Fallguy
08-02-2001, 04:54 PM
Edited out... has nothing to do with this discussion.

Eng Mwr Guy
08-16-2001, 12:06 AM
Richard is correct. The new gear drive unit kicks as*.

I reused some nuts & bolts when redesigning......with that said, however

The "old" PRO150 has been an excellent performer. Extremely low warranty etc....For the money you will not go wrong. If price is your primary driving motivation buy a current PRO150 or a used bigger name (Scag or Exmark are ok)WB.

If performance is your driving motivation esp. quality of cut you may want to wait for our new machine due out shortly. The current 150 36 inch deck is as good a cut as anyone else. The new decks will do better than most.

The price will be the same or damn close to Exmark and Scag.....sorry guys making it the cheapest aint in my blood.

Any questions just e-mail me.

Barry Adamski
Gravely Engineer

GLM
08-16-2001, 09:20 PM
I have a 1996 pro 150 36" with about 1000 hours on it and the thing is great. I never would have thought about buying a Gravely mower(I was a scag guy) but I got this thing for next to nothing used and now I would not give it up for anything. The Quality of cut is unmatched and it stripes lawns like I have never seen a small mower do. I'm not sure about the 40' and I have heared that the 50" doesn't cut very well but my 36" is unmatched. It gets comments from customers regularly about the cut it does. Also the Kohler 12.5 is plenty powerful and mows around $400 dollars worth of lawns on a tank not to mention starts on the first pull all day long. I have run Bobcats and Scags and niether leaves a cut like this machine. The only thing that I want is a hydro so I can back it up a little when turn. Pro 150 two thumbs up.

Evan528
08-16-2001, 09:59 PM
GLM, I second everything you just said! I have a pro 150 36 gravely. It is 6 years old has not had a single repair done to it! The cut is great! I used to own a 60 inch gravely 300 series rider. The qaulity of cut was so pitiful I had to sell it! I have seen the 50 inch deck in use many times..... it seems to cut very nice in dry grass but in wet grass it does nothing but clump!