PDA

View Full Version : Open Utility Trailers

J. Bret Holder
08-02-2001, 12:24 PM
Hey everyone!

I am getting ready to purchase a new open utility trailer.

I have looked at Performance, Texas Bragg, and
"Wright Trailers{EXPENSIVE!]".

One of the Texas Bragg Dealers said that they do not prime before the paint application.

Could you all give me some feedback on which of these trailer manufacturers are the best bet to stick with. Wre are going with a 5x12 or a 6x12 with 4' tall mesh sides.

If there are any other manufacturers that I should consider, please let me know.

Thank you all. :confused:

Ground Pounder
08-02-2001, 12:37 PM
I have a 5'X14' International utility trailer. Built strong, good welds, oak plank deck.

Got it for $1,300. Check 'em out.

mdb landscaping
08-02-2001, 01:21 PM
check out big tex. they sell a lot of trailers around here. i see a lot of us cargo's showing up as well.

www.bigtextrailers.com
www.uscargo.com

Guido
08-02-2001, 02:46 PM
I'll let you compare and decide on a brand on your own judgement but I will make the suggestion that you go with a 14' or a 16' so you don't trap yourself in. You should leave some room to expand or you will quickly grow out of that trailer.

Hoe this helps!

CMerLand
08-02-2001, 03:05 PM
I'll second guidos motion.

I have a 6 x 14' trailer that has served us well for 7 or 8 years. It will hold the following includeing edger and trim mowers weedeater racks etc. :

3 48 inch Bobcat walkbehinds straight in.
4 48 inch bobcats alternating sideways
1 walker rider and two 48 bobcats sideways or one straight in.

It will not fit two Walkers on it at the same time.

And soon will carry 1 walker and one toro Z 52.

Oh yea it also carrys 4-5 yards of mulch.

Get the bigger trailer, as the extra feet will someday come in handy.

I also have set up on the trailer a combo gas can rack/job box for tools, oil, blades etc. Two pesticide sprayers, one five gallon water jug and pvc pipes along the front of the rack to carry assorted necessary hand tools. A spare trailer tire and a spare walker tire complete the rig. With this setup nothing gets forgotten back in the garage when the employees load the trucks in the morning.

captdevo
08-02-2001, 11:36 PM
i have a Texas bragg 20' car hauler with steel deck and it has held up well. They aren't primed from factory though. It is a well built trailer.

I also have a couple small PJ trailers which are really nice for the price.

I see you are in New Orleans, i'm originally from Slidell. I purchased a few homemade trailers from a guy in Chalmette that were the best i've ever used . they were built from drilling pipe, very strong. I'll see if i can find his info and pass it on to you.

Sammy
08-02-2001, 11:56 PM
I have a International 7x16. Built very well like Ground pounder said.
I also have a Keefer 8x25 that is built very good.

I looked at some Big Tex trailers in Ohio this spring. No prime or paint underneth of them, just rust. Not impressed at all with them.:blob3: :blob2: :blob1: :blob4:

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-03-2001, 09:28 AM
I dont' have a Texas Bragg, I cannot get them locally , but I did check them out when I was on vacation in NC.. From what I have seen available up in Jersey, I think the Texas Bragg are extremely well built, especially with the options of angle iron or tubular sides.

As far a sizes go .. definitly think about a larger one. I started out with a 6 x 12 and faught with it from day one. Too small.. I would go with the 16 ' or the 14' minimum, get an extended tongue, and with 4' sides have it made so at least one of the sides has a ramp or removable panel so you can get things in or access easier. Very helpfull if hauling plant materials or such on it...

Also think if you are going to need to rent or buy a skid steer in the future, If you think you will , Get a 16' skid steer trailer and have it modified with the 4' mesh sides, this way you dont' have to rent or buy an additional trailer in the future like many of us have had to do.

Best of luck...

Mowman
08-03-2001, 02:43 PM
When I bought mine, I bought a homemade 5'x10'w/4' Ramp gate and a mesh floor. I paid $650.00 for it. The next one I get will be a BIG TEX 6'x12'. They are built very well and LOOK great. They are a little more expensive than others, but as the rule goes you get what you pay for. They have a great web site that takes you through from start to finish of the trailer. Check one out.

www.bigtextrailers.com

Good Luck,
Mowman

J. Bret Holder
08-03-2001, 05:18 PM
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I have taken note to some of the ideas that you all have posted and definitely plan to utilize many of these suggestions.

Thanks again!

J. Bret Holder
President/Picturesque Lawnscapes

Jusmowin
08-03-2001, 10:47 PM
I have a 6x12 Texas Bragg open trailer and I love it. Ive had mine for 2 years and not had any rust on it at all, but I would get a 16 footer next time.

RMDoyon
08-04-2001, 01:13 AM
Buy direct from Tesh

Check out Teshandsons.com

They are manufactured in Lexington, NC of superior materials and workmanship is top-notch.
They are NOT the cheapest game in town but are among the best and guarantee their work nationwide.

When you deal with Tesh and Sons, you deal directlywith the owners who happen to give a damn about your business.

Roger

MIDSOUTH
08-04-2001, 01:18 AM
It may be worth your drive to bastrop, LA to John Croswell Equipment, bought a 16' trailmaster last year with ramp gate for 900.00, just bought a 20' heavy duty trailmaster trailer with heavy duty ramp gate and brakes for 1470.00, cheapest prices around north louisiana.