PDA

View Full Version : Bids for church's

Green-Cuts
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Hello
I am looking into bidding some church's in my area. There are 25 properties that would be included in the contract, not all church's but still part of the same church. They have given me a few ideas of what there current bids are costing them on a few properties to give me an idea of what they are spending.

1- 25,727 sq ft----$53.00
2- 79,865 sq ft----$119.00
3- 117,174 sq ft----$122.00

These church's properties are scattered all over town and some that are in close towns that are maybe an 40-60 min away. I am wondering if these prices seem ok or of they are low? Also how would you take into account drive time between each church, would you add a little extra on for ones that were not within the city limits?

Thanks
Brandon

mverick
04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
If they sign a 2 or 3 year contract I would have low prices if you get all 25 lots. That's a lot of guaranteed work.

DBL
04-18-2007, 08:23 PM
60 minute drive just for a cut is a little far but then again 25 accounts is good too....do they want you to beat those prices or can you just match them those prices for the areas seem fine

Green-Cuts
04-18-2007, 08:43 PM
HI
It is a 3 year contract that would end up being about 40k a season based on the numbers they have given me. I think that they are looking for someone to match or beat them. Wondering if I do a lower bid by a few bucks on each property if that would be worth it if they were looking to have someone cheaper.

fiveoboy01
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Those prices are not too out of line.

BUT, there is a nearly 40 thousand square foot difference between #2 and #3, and a 2 dollar difference in price? That's very odd.

25 properties is a lot though, if you can get them on a multi-year contract. If you have the equipment to be productive and the manpower to perform the labor, I'd say take it on.

But I'd warn you about underbidding solely to "guarantee" you get the properties. When contract renewal comes around, all someone else is going to have to do is underbid you by a few bucks and you've lost the properties.

mverick
04-18-2007, 09:18 PM
HI
It is a 3 year contract that would end up being about 40k a season based on the numbers they have given me. I think that they are looking for someone to match or beat them. Wondering if I do a lower bid by a few bucks on each property if that would be worth it if they were looking to have someone cheaper.

Or keep the prices the same as others and offer aeration on the church itself and the preachers residence.:)

Green-Cuts
04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
HI
I am looking to find a formula on how long it would take to mow a sq ft with a certain mowing width. So I could figure a rough estimate on time to mow these church's. Right now I have a 44" hustler fast track but if I got the contracts I would be getting a Bigger hustler or a walker that had at least a 55" cuttind deck.

I also just mapped it out on Microsoft streets and had it give me the best route and it came up with. IF I was to just drive the entire route it would be about 300 miles round trip from my house to all the churches and back. It would also take about 6-8 hours depending on the conditions and speed.

I am wondering if anyone ads anything for drive time like that?

Thanks
Brandon

Green-Cuts
04-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi
Any help would be great on this?

Eakern & Dog
04-19-2007, 04:36 PM
IF I was to just drive the entire route it would be about 300 miles round trip from my house to all the churches and back.

Hope this is not a stupid comment( sorry if it is) but you need to base your mileage and drive time to the properties according to which properties you can get done in a day. You may have two accounts that are close to each other but too big to do in one day, etc....

http://www.scag.com/productivity.html

the above link is a productivity chart by scag based on an 8 hour day and deck width.

bohiaa
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
there hard to get............sometimes/

I have been a member of my Church for 2 years, and I have asked....But the Church doesn't want to bring the outside world into the Church..
they allways "every year" advertise there taking bids, with 50 to 60 % donation......

Midwest Lawn Services
04-19-2007, 05:02 PM
To find out how much you can mow, use this formula:
deck size X mph - 30% = acres/hour
You minus the 30% for trimming and loading/unloading. Works well for us! Good Luck.

Green-Cuts
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I tried this formula with my 44" fast track that goes 6 mph and came out with 184.8? That seems high or is my math wrong?

thanks
bj

Liquidfast
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Or keep the prices the same as others and offer aeration on the church itself and the preachers residence.:)

Just to throw in my .02. Everyone wants to offer cheaper prices but the main reason people switch are usually due to shotty work. Shotty work why? Because the pay is too low (in the majority of the cases). If it is too low for them (the current lco) what makes you think you can do better by lowering your prices?

I agree whole heartedly that by offering the preacher a "deal", you stand a better chance of winnng them over.

I offer the "big bosses" a bonus on their property and have landed more jobs that way. I have even had owners tell me I can have accounts if I service theirs for free.

This year, we landed a 13 commercial account contract AND a 23 townhouse complex by giving "THE WORKS" to the president and vice-president free service A N D we charge $700 more per month than the last company.....go figure.

Aren't we all in this biz to make money? Why is it that there are numerous posts about LOWERING the price to land the job? I realize that one company may have a lower overhead but charging less usually leads to bad things.

Again, just MY .02

Green-Cuts
04-23-2007, 06:12 PM
HI
They do not have preachers or anything like that. The are the LDS (Mormon) Churches. I am not looking at having my prices lower than the current LCO. I have seen there work and know that I can do better than they can. I am actually looking at bidding higher and telling them that I am more but you get what you pay for.

Thanks
BJ