PDA

View Full Version : charging system on Kawasaki

Georgeharry
04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I have a Kawasaki 590 v that wll not charge the battery. It shows 38 volts ac at the unpluged wiring harness,but still will not turn the battery light out.I pulled the flywheel and it has one magnet that is pitted pretty bad but still has strong manget pull on all points.The stator showed up a short on one side one time while I was checking it but I could not get it to do this again. Any ideals will be apreciated. thank you

Restrorob
04-18-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm assuming this is a regulated (has voltage regulator) charging system since you didn't post spec. numbers. If so below is the proper test procedure.

Georgeharry
04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Thank you ,I did the test like your dia. shows .The last test on the chart was the place that it showed a ground on the ohms meter . I tried to get it to repete this as a second backup test and it didn't show back up .Could this be intermitten on a bad stator?It put out around 38 volts dc at high rpm ,around 25 volts at low rpm .

Georgeharry
04-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Thank you ,I did the test like your dia. shows .The last test on the chart was the place that it showed a ground on the ohms meter . I tried to get it to repete this as a second backup test and it didn't show back up .Could this be intermitten on a bad stator?It put out around 38 volts dc at high rpm ,around 25 volts at low rpm .
I should have said ac volts

Restrorob
04-19-2007, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=Georgeharry;1799721]Could this be intermitten on a bad stator?QUOTE]

It very well could be, Was the stator resistance within specs. ?

Before buying a $110.00 stator make sure you have battery voltage to the regulator, Without that the system will not charge.

Also I would test the regulator before buying anything, Procedure below.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FD590VRegulatorTest.jpg

Georgeharry
04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Thank you Restrorob you have helped me out on more than one problem.I am sure that everybody on this site is glad to have your input.

Georgeharry
04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Restrorob,Should I see 12 volts at the top left hand terminal on your dia.?+ in your picture I find 12 volts at the top right handside ( - ) in your picture . at the the reg.harness connector.I don't have access to a Kaw. hand meter.But this seems backwards according to the + and - symbols. Shoud you see 12 volts at all times or only when the key is in run position?Thank you

Restrorob
04-22-2007, 11:21 PM
If you are checking voltage at the harness plug with it unplugged from the regulator with the plug facing you they will appear backward, Just hold the harness plug near the regulator to verify this.

Here is another pic. The + lead should have voltage all the time and the center lead has voltage when the switch is in the run position.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FD590VRegulatorPlug.jpg