PDA

View Full Version : Artificial turf bank

PurpHaze
04-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Our main football stadium sits in a bowl and has pronounced banks on both ends. The west end has been especially bad over the years maintaining any type of decent landscaping due to its steepness and the occasional hard freezes we get that wipe groundcovers and other things out. There was ice plant 25 years ago that got wiped out and then other groundcovers have been tried... but they too have succumbed over the years. They tried flowering trees of all things, and these just led to a big mess on the all-weather track so were removed.

Last week they installed artificial turf to the tune of about $75k. Looks OK but boy is it slick. I almost fell on my butt taking a couple of these pictures. The one good thing about it is that I no longer have to maintain any type of irrigation in these areas. :laugh:

MarcSmith
04-24-2007, 12:57 PM
neat looking Purp....

I would think something like English ivy or some penisetum grasses would have worked...or even some rudbeckia or daylillies....

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Probably something would have worked. I just think they were tired of messing with it. :)

newbie35
05-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Let me guess Mineral King Bowl?? I lived in Visalia for about 12 years

PurpHaze
05-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Let me guess Mineral King Bowl?? I lived in Visalia for about 12 years

Yup... and now we also have Community Stadium on the Golden West HS campus.

BTW... Our guys are in the process of resodding the bowl from 30-30, hashmarks-hashmarks for the annual graduations. Gotta make it look purdy. :)

PurpHaze
05-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Here's a couple more. The natural grass on the right was just put in last week. This is a handicap access area for wheelchairs for the visitors' side.