PDA

View Full Version : Brown Dyed mulch

mrusk
04-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Last year i used brown died mulch on a job. This stuff was pricey at 31 bucks a yard but it was gorgous. It was ground ALOT smaller then the typical bark mulch i work with so it was atleast twice as fast to work with it.

Also it held its color much better then regular mulch since its dyed.

Does anyone else use brown dyed mulch?

bahamamills
04-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah, I had been using 2&3 ground bulch and found that it just decomposed so quickly and was basically a replacement every year. Good for business but also bad in that I used it at home 15 yards per year and it was too costly for me a clients to replace.

I am into my second year with it now and its holding up great. Well worth the cost difference which I can get at 23 per yard. I am still looking for a source I could get tractor trailor load from. I can get as much as I want delivered via Dump truck but its still the same cost plus a small delivery fee.

If I could get bulk at home I do have a tractor and loader which would save a considerable amount of time and money from me going to get each time.

AGLA
04-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Is it dyed or is it actually finely ground bark like it all was 10 or 15 years ago? Pine/spruce/fir bark without wood added to it is a rich reddish brown and does not need to be dyed. It holds the eveness of its color well particularly if it is finely ground.

Dyed mulch is cheaper because it is used to mask the presence of waste wood. They essentially cut good bark mulch with ground up fences and pallets, paint it, doubling the volume of the mulch, and sell it.

In other words, someone is charging people to dump pallets and fences, buys bark mulch for $x, doubles the amount of that mulch by adding crap to it, and then sells it to us for slightly less than what natural bark mulch cost.

The problem is that a lot of people can't tell the difference when it sits in the pile, so fewer and fewer people are selling real bark mulch anymore because it does not sell as fast.

bahamamills
04-19-2007, 07:36 AM
AGLA that may be the case at some places but not where I get it. You can drive right into this operation and watch the process beginning to end.

http://www.bandbtopsoilmine.com/brochure.nxg

nobagger
04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Last year i used brown died mulch on a job. This stuff was pricey at 31 bucks a yard but it was gorgous. It was ground ALOT smaller then the typical bark mulch i work with so it was atleast twice as fast to work with it.

Dyed mulch is all we use, you probably bought "tripple ground" (thats what we call it here). It almost looks just like wet dirt right? That is a few bucks more per yard than the common double ground.

topsites
04-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I use strictly colored mulch anymore.

J&R Landscaping
04-19-2007, 09:53 AM
My supplier sells both the brown died mulch as well as the tripple ground root mulch. Most of the time, I am either putting down the tripple ground or black dyed mulch. Red goes down every now and then but the brown died is not very popular with my customers.

Dreams To Designs
04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
When you guys are using dyed mulch, do you add fertilizers or nitrogen to the soils to compensate for what the waste wood is robbing from the soil as it decays? I prefer natural products like root or real bark mulches, even cedar, for what it adds to the soil as well as weed suppression and moisture retention, but some clients like the look of the black, brown or hopefully never, red.

Kirk

AGLA
04-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Bahama,

That is better than pallets and fences, although "yard waste" might not exclude those things. It is still cutting good bark mulch with wood waste. I don't want wood waste and I don't want to cut the effectiveness and aesthetic quality of bark.

Bark protects a tree from insects that eat wood.

bahamamills
04-19-2007, 08:12 PM
The yard waste as you saw is used for the top soil. What kind of yard waste do you think they use in the soil which is also screened. I am curious as to whether or not you had a bad experience with Top Soil or Mulch.

Not arguing with you but this is one of the largest top soil mines I know of around here. What could they be allowing to be sold for everyones yards, gardens etc.

I sat there for two hours one day watching as they hand/machine picked every item that went through there I am sure very expensive grinders and through the rest of the process. This was/is not a landfill.

AGLA
04-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Mulch. Specifically adding "recycled" material to bark mulch. I know that the premise is that it is saving the world, but it is making it harder and harder to find plain old bark mulch anymore.

It is great that they can "recycle" materials to keep them out of landfills. It is great that they can take 100 cy of bark and turn it into 200 yards of mulch. It is great that they can dye it any color you want. But what sucks is that if you want bark mulch with no crap in it, it is pretty darn hard to get.

I'm not against people doing it, or wanting it, but I want what used to be an extremely common and good mulching material -bark.

I don't like the fact that a lot of people are selling product with dyed wood and are not up front about it. In my area "premium mulch" is the label on bark-wood mix that is dyed to appear to be plain bark mulch.

bahamamills
04-19-2007, 09:15 PM
AGLA,

Thanks for the response and now I know where you are coming from and understand..thanks...

It simply comes back to the golden buck. When I built my home three years ago I must have made a lot of people more wealthy. They charged me to take down over two hundred trees root balls and all. They probably sold the timber and this "Soil Mine" charged a dump fee which came back to me and they turned it into mulch which I have bought back 100's of yards and top soils again hundreds of yard.

The only place I see what you refer to as simple bark mulch is bagged at Lowe's or home depot. The rest is machine made in the piles everyone lines up to.

jeff

1MajorTom
04-19-2007, 09:27 PM

all the time, that's what we use. chocolate dyed triple ground.

dallas05
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
chocolate triple grind dyed evertime unless customer specifically wants that nasty red mulch which by the way is very! very! very! popular in eastern n.c.

quicknclean
04-20-2007, 10:16 AM
what about the honey gold, that stuff is orange!!!

Mr. Vern
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
We produce and install thousands of yards of colored mulches. Brown and Black are the most popular here, but red and gold do sell. I actually have a sample bucket of purple that I was planning to color up and sell to the East Indian community along with our gold nuggets - I think they will eat it up. Our landscape designer specs colored mulch into every job and then removes it if the customer does not want it, or if they need to shave some costs.

As for the good ole bark that has been mentioned. We sell that too, have to source it from the mills to get pure bark, but it's still available. Out here where the sun shines, it is not real popular anymore because it turns gray within months or even weeks sometimes. Also, it is so fibrous that it does not decompose nearly as quickly as the "green waste" products we produce.

The main advantage to the colored mulches is the rich and enduring color. If you talk to your supplier they can probably get you some that has not been screened as much and still has plenty of smaller fines to accompany the larger pieces. With this stuff the fines will break down and leach into the soil while the larger pieces provide the continued asthetics you are looking for.