PDA

View Full Version : How to buy used mower

green-pa
04-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Can anyone tell me how to inspect a used riding and or push mower to tell if it's worth investing in. There are many at the pawn shops and in the trade papers for seemingly great prices; sometimes 1/3 or less than a new unit.

Another thing; are riding lawn mowers generally able to be servicable for longer than push mowers. I mean, are they more durable than 21"?

thanks

topsites
04-19-2007, 01:49 AM
The simple answer is you want to check into Commercial units, not home-owner model riders or 21"s because those things won't last 20 cuts between down-time spells, get into 40-60 cuts and your machine is down at least twice, and during a busy season that could mean every week or two. A brand-new one might last a month, you'll trade it in once under the 30-day warranty thing and then even IF you could do it again you know you don't want to face the salesman, knowing you're pushing the machine beyond what it was intended to do, you're stuck with it.

As things stand, commercial units require about 20-30 or so minutes of daily maintenance, but as for down-time it is spread out... Some can and do break down more often than others, but as a rule they're gtg for at least a few 100 cuts at a time. Unless it's serious, many commercial units can keep going even with broken parts, most used ones have several parts missing, as things go, that's considered broken in.

Maybe the math isn't 100% accurate, but live and learn or take my word for it, that's the gist of it.

green-pa
04-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Well, the Troy Built 21 inch unit I bought for $350 has done about 50-60 cuts or more and cuts just fine still; no breakdowns! So are u saying it should have broken down at least 2-3 times?