PDA

View Full Version : Degrees

summitgroundskeeping
08-02-2001, 05:53 PM
I'm going to be a senior in high school this year and have been searching schools and majors. I've been planning on going to Purdue University, but was sure for what. I went down there Tuesday and talked to admissions and some professors and found out that I will probably major in Landscape Horticulture and Design. They were excited about having me and said that if I apply early this fall that I should be accepted by late October. I was wondering how many of you guys have degrees in out line of work. And when I get out what companies or agencies would want to hire me? $? Thanks, I still think that I will keep Summit going even after school unless I get a really good offer. :rolleyes:

mdb landscaping
08-02-2001, 06:23 PM
im attending the University of CT and they are known as a big agricultural school. from talking to many people, ive decided to major in business management instead and just take some courses having to do with landscaing. i figure if i ever injure myself to the extent i cant landscape, ill have something to fall back on. just make sure you dont put all your eggs in one basket. i applied early decision and had my apps in by nov. 1. by dec 31 i was told i was excepted. good luck with what you decide

HOWARD JONES
08-02-2001, 06:47 PM
Golf courses would be one major , common industry to hire you - your business experience would help get you in - also you may consider trying to do some business or part time work with them while in school. Remember, this could be design of new courses and/or maintenance of existing ones.

Bob_McNaughton
08-02-2001, 07:55 PM
I question the validity of a degree in that field. I suspect the churn in professional, high-end landscape designers is extremely low. I have no clue about what they would make, so I would advise research in this field.

My cousin has a degree in agriculture(commercial farming and livestock), and replairs lawn mowers for the local scag dealer for 10 bux an hour. Go figure..

Get a good solid, broad spectrum degree, that can be parlayed into virtually any application. Such as marketing, finance, or business administration.

Seems nowadays, most degrees result in someone ending up making 40-60k a year.. Whether this be IT, Finance, business or marketing. Of course, there are upper echelons in every field. I managed to land a good job with a fortune 500 company as a marketing rep(50-60k), then a few years later was promoted to a advertising manager, representing accounts in the 7 and 8 figure range. I believe my best year was 118k before taxes. But I know alot of people in the business, and that was NOT the normal. I just had a great year, and some great clients. Would I do it again? NO.. Not worth it.. That job started me smoking, drinking, I got ulcers, became overweight, and my stress level was off the scale - my bosses were a$$holes and drove me insane..

So figure 40-60k average for almost anything.. Engineers, fresh out of school, working for the big three, usually pull 45k their first year around here. NOT alot of money!

So you need to position yourself with the best possible degree, with the best possible market.. Business, Finance or Marketing will get you into almost any company. Horticulture won't... You might find after you graduate, that you are mowing lawns for your local golf course for 30k a year. Plus, if you start your own business later, the business school will benefit you more than you can imagine.

Think about it man.. Not tryign to burst your bubble, but you got alot to think about before jumping into it.

summitgroundskeeping
08-03-2001, 12:48 PM
but, in this major I would be taking quite a few business and marketing classes. I figured "hoped" that if I kept Summit going, I would know so much more about this field and would prosper. Then after this company grew I could go more into the marketing side and become more of a True Green in my areas. Find a developing high end market develop it maintain it and put another Summit some where else and do the same thing. I don't know. What do you think about that? I know LCO's that are large in my area, the owners make close to $55k-$60k.

gorrell
08-03-2001, 01:56 PM
no message

TLS
08-03-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by summitgroundskeeping
I know LCO's that are large in my area, the owners make close to $55k-$60k.

??? Is $55K - $60K a lot to you??? You cant support a family on those figures! Listen to Bob Mc. follow a business degree, and take minors in hort/agra to satisfy your need for knowledge in the area you plan to persue. I, personally would stick to computers and the diagnosis and repair. All these stinkin' puters out there and not enough people to fix them when I mess things up!

Nothing against Purdue U. , but when I was younger, someone said something about Purdue/Perdue U. and I thought they had a "Chicken School" with old man Frank Perdue teaching...!!!

lawnboy82
08-03-2001, 08:22 PM
i go to umass amherst, the stockbridge school. i am a turfgrass management major. at my school, you dont really have to go looking for a job, they come looking for you. there is a 100% employment rate for graduates who want to work. starting salary for somebody coming out of the 2 year school is about 50K per year i believe. however there are many people from that school, more so than the 4 year people who make over 1 million per year. guy who owns Sav-a-tree went there, as did a LOT of other people. they have some great professors. and a really good curriculum. what else? um... really though... get the college degree and go work for somebody like john, or brickman, or somebody like that.

NateinAtl
08-03-2001, 10:34 PM
I have a degree in Agricultural Economics and a minor in Business from the University of Kentucky. My Ag Econ major had an emphasis in agribusiness principles. With that said, I was able to gain knowledge in the field of business by way of the traditional business classes as well as the non-traditional agribusiness classes. I think this approach has aided in my understanding and the advancement of my business. Because you are already a business owner, in a field in which you enjoy, I would suggest that choose a major that will challenge you as well as entertain you over the next four years. I also suggest that you consider minoring in business. A minor in business will let you dabble in all facets of business, and may turn you onto something special.

Good luck