PDA

View Full Version : engine turns over but does not fire HELP??

BeautifulBlooms
04-19-2007, 09:28 AM
I serviced my lawn boy push mower last november, added stabilized fuel, replaced the sparkplug, cleaned the air filter, put it into a shed for the winter, pulled it out last week and now it won't fire. I am new to engine repair and maintenance so I am stuck.

I pulled the sparkplug out to make sure the gap was correct and it was, i pulled out the air filter to make sure no critter had gotten into it, and it was fine.

How do I know if it is the fuel or the sparkplug? How do I check it is or is not sparking?

Mark in MD
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Remove plug, put plug in boot, touch one end of any small steel rod to threads of plug, touch other end to threads of plug cylinder. Hold in place with your bare hand. Pull starter rope with other hand. You should feel a little electrical shock.

khouse
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Do you have the kill switch in the on position?

BeautifulBlooms
04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Gas line is on, there is not kill switch, its a push mower with the bar for starting on the handlebar.

I think I am not getting spark, and I am not a mechanic at all so I will probably have to take it in to someone. I want to learn about engines however so that I can fix this type of thing in the future, I just dont have the time right now to mess around with it.

MarcSmith
04-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Pull starter rope with other hand. You should feel a little electrical shock.

Thats just wrong....I have done accidentally on occasion. Its amazing just how much a small spark can surprise ya....

You want to find out if you have spark. If you have no spark, then all the fuel in the world won't do you any good...There has to be some sort of engine cutoff switch that could have "gone" bad over the winter or the coil has gone south...

Brett's Cutting Edge
04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
check spark if its bad replace to coil or check ur kill switch make sure it is also getting fuel

EMJ
04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Remove air cleaner, spay a shot of Starting Fluid into carb (small amount), try to start. If it fires and runs for a second it is fuel. If not it is Spark or possibly mechanical. If it Ran before you put it away I would say spark.