PDA

View Full Version : Can I mulch with an older Toro WB??

Cleve
08-02-2001, 06:02 PM
I have a Toro 36" WB that is about 10 years old. It does a great job mowing and throwing but I would like to mulch with it. I am not accustomed to mulching either but seems that is the way to go now. We usually bag our customers in this area but now have a couple that want the grass left on the lawn. Most of our customers are cut using the Walker and the Toro WB is just used on a few.
This mower has always seemed to clog the deck if the grass was too wet and I wonder if the mulching blades would only make this worse?
Should I change to muclching blades and block the discharge or am I just making a mistake to even try?
I would try the double blade setup but the "anti-scalping cup" on the blades seems to make this hard to try and I also wonder if the electric clutch will cause problems starting that much mass? As it is now the mower blows leaves from the front anyway and any lower blades might make this worse.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Cleve.

lawrence stone
08-02-2001, 08:16 PM
1. Open the discharge up, forget about a mulching plate.

2. Forget about the anti scap cups for how much can you scalp with only a 36" wide machine.

3. Run double blades one gator and one hi lift with a 5/8 flat washer between the two.

4. Mount a strip of rubber along the front and side of the deck to fix the blowout issue.

5. Raise the deck height by 1/2 inch with the rear being 1/2 higher than the front.

6. Don't worry about the clutch. You can get them cheap if you need one at a HVAC supply house.

EJK2352
08-02-2001, 08:26 PM
Stone,
Talk to me!! Need to know about getting those cheap clutches. What HVAC supply house do you get them at??? I have never seen them there. :confused: ED