PDA

View Full Version : Dimension App....then RAIN...Lots of it?

TLS
04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Should I be worried about TOO much rain?

Applied April 9th & 10th. We got a fair amount of rain the 11th and 12th. I was a little worried about that rain as it was quick and heavy at times.

Then we got this monster storm this past Sun/Mon/Tues/etc.

I guess I'm worried that the prills were washed away.

I would be OK with normal rains, but these were just VERY extreme.

After last seasons extreme crabgrass problems, I'm worried that all that seed is just ready to pop and my barrier just got washed down stream.

Am I over concerned, or do I have a valid reason to be?

RAlmaroad
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't think that the prills would be washed away unless your lawns were on a slope and the run off was extreme. However, I would wonder if the prills had released and the preventive germicide was washed so deep that the seed were not effected by the leaching of the chemical. Were you using the 0-0-7? Are you starting to green-up yet? I'd watch carefully for dandilions and their habits. Hard to say. Maybe Runner or some of the other guys could call it.

TLS
04-19-2007, 10:42 AM
13-2-5 .15%

Ready for it to pop tomorrow when temps come out of the 40's for the first time in a couple weeks.

RAlmaroad
04-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I was afraid of that...Should you have to reapply, watch the nitrogen as it breaks down fairly quickly. Let's wait on the others.

Harley-D
04-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Are you doing a split app? If so, i would stick with the higher active on second round to be safe. Maybe do the .15 at 4.25 to 4.5/lb per k. That should give you enough active for post control and get you through the summer. If cost is an issue, watch your fert content. Low to no p and lower n due to heavier app. Also, consider a mini prill for coverage. That would let you do a little lighter than 4.5/k and still get good results. Watch your costs!
Have you ever checked your per/k cost on combo's? A good winter chore. Don't get caught up on the per bag price like others. IMO Hope this helped.
Anybody else? I might have forgot something...

upidstay
04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Check your lawns. You guys got about th same amount of rain we did in CT, 5 and 3/4 inches in 36 hours. Serious flooding around here too. There is a good chance it did weahs away, but there's alot of variables like slope, runoff, turf density and height, etc.

TLS
04-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Single app, full rate (w/o looking at label, don't know lbs/K).

Was thinking if Lebanons Dimension/Confront3 may be a wise choice Mid May. I can spot spray weeds in the meantime.

Yes, some bare areas I look at show no signs of any prills! Some did wash away, I'm not concerned with middle of the lawn areas, just the hot spots around drives and walkways.

Thanks for the ideas.

TLS
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Just checked my records.

I applied at 4lbs/K

green horizons
04-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Hard to call. I apply at the lower end of label. If the turf has low weed pressure (been treated previous years), then you're likely fine. I can't give an exact answer, but reccomend observation. Split apps. are a good idea, but cost is the balancing factor.... You applied at the higher end, so I'd think you are golden, sans the typical areas next to perimeters and slopes.

TLS
04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
If the turf has low weed pressure (been treated previous years), then you're likely fine.

Thats just it. This is my first year. Though, last season, ALL of my mowing customers (treated by other various services), were plagued with crabgrass. It was a BAD year for crabgrass last Summer. Theres literally TONS of seed out there getting ready to germinate.

Would a liquid app of Dimension via 5gal backpack be feasible around perimeters and hot spots?

Remember, I'm just starting, so I only have about 600K sq/ft total. This year I can't afford to have major problems. I want these customers I have to be blown away at how much better their lawns will be when treated by me.

RAlmaroad
04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Been thinking about this. Your Pre-em may/maynot be gone. Some of the other guys will probably disagree but I'd go ahead. If you get lots of weeds--these may be perennials and will appear before the crabgrass which generally shows up about end of May-June here, maybe later upthere. Could you sub out a crabgrass application to one of the other guys that has some faster equipment than a backpack. I know you're trying to get bye as easily as possible, but you could loose some clients who don't CARE about the weather and what it does to your chems. All they want is a nice lawn regardless to you or the weather. I don't think you can spot treat crabgrass.
Just some fodder for your mind and I hate that this happened as I know your concerns. It was so cold here with the wind that even the honeysuckle was burned let alone loosing the whole TN Apple Crop and the Whole SC Peach Crop..Mother Nature can be cruel.

indyturf
04-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Thats just it. This is my first year. Though, last season, ALL of my mowing customers (treated by other various services), were plagued with crabgrass. It was a BAD year for crabgrass last Summer. Theres literally TONS of seed out there getting ready to germinate.

Would a liquid app of Dimension via 5gal backpack be feasible around perimeters and hot spots?

Remember, I'm just starting, so I only have about 600K sq/ft total. This year I can't afford to have major problems. I want these customers I have to be blown away at how much better their lawns will be when treated by me.

I think the most cost and time effective method would be to apply another crabgrass control app with your fertilizer for the second round. back pack on the hot spots would be a good idea if you have already bought your fertilizer for rd 2.

americanlawn
04-20-2007, 10:07 PM
NW PA...your'e in the same zone as us. Dimension is known to be the longest-lasting regarding leaching, etc (better than Barricade & pendimethylim).

Your problem lawns that experience crabgrass will be the lawns that are thin or along the edges in sunny areas. So...be prepared to offer free sevice calls to spray "along the edges" of curbs, etc. on your good accounts.

We do not charge for post-emergent crabgrass spray for the most part, but we DO CHARGE if we measure their mowing height at less than 3 inches.

We figure that it is a homeowner does not follow our advise nor the advice from their local university.???

Bottom line: If people continue to mow less than a 3 1/2 cut...they get what they deserve. (Kentucky bluegrass)

TLS
04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for your advice americanlawn.

However, I'm not in your zone so to speak. I'm in SE PA (Philadelphia area).

Knowing the rains we had however, should I:

1) Spot spray Dimension around edges?

2) Plan on a combo round 2 (Confront3/Dimension/Fert = Lebanon Granular)

3) Plan on a quicker scheduled round 2 with just an 0-0-7 Weed/Feed and then late May plan another blanket round of granular Dimension, say 19-0-6

4) Or just go about my business as normal and hope for the best and then just plan to spot spray any bad outbreak areas in August

Suggestions?

Harley-D
04-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Well...It really depends on what you have time for.
If your first application of dimension was 19-0-6 0.10% then you need another app for control in july anyway.

If i were you, i would do another app about third week of may with a 13-2-5 dimension 0.15%. This will get you through the summer and you should only have to do minimal spot spraying in august. (Do 4.5lb/k though)

TLS
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks HarleyD,

Time really isn't a major problem. As I'm only treating 5-600K sq/ft.

I believe it was already posted that I applied 13-2-5 .15% first round full rate.

Nobody seems to mention the Confront3/Dimension combo.

Is there something bad about it I should know?

Seems like a real good 2nd round choice for instances like this.