PDA

View Full Version : I need 100 new accounts by August

lsylvain
04-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I have $10,000 to spend on marketing. What would you do?

1cooltreeguy
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Targeted newspaper ads. Direct mail to targeted areas. Realestate company advertising. Hire a kid to pass out 3000 flyers and you still have $$ left over to pay off the reason you need 100 accounts.

nobagger
04-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I was going to say good luck with that.... but being in Fla. you might stand a better chance than you would around here. In my area it takes guys years to acheive that many customers.

lsylvain
04-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Well I'll tell you why I need 100 accounts. I have been hum hawing about getting back into the biz for about a year or so. Wife is pregnant so that kind of got me into gear to get back into this, not so much for the money but for the ability to work my schedual around my wife who works nights so we don't have to pay 40 billion a year for child care. Well I go out and get things going, and then it dons on me. Right now I work till 5:00 go home and go mow, then mow on the Weekends. Well, that will all have to end when the baby comes because I will be playing daddy daycare. So, I either need to get 100 new jobs before the baby comes so I can quit my day job, or just get out now and save the agrivation.

If I don't reach my 100 goal I can always get a part timmer and all that, but the goal is 100 new customers by August and give my boss the middle finger.

lsylvain
04-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Here is what I have thought about.

I have a target market of about 10,000 homes. These are the optimal homes and these are homes that are between my house and the beach, I am ignoring any oportunity each of my house because I want to keep things tight and cut down my drive time which goes to hell if I go east of my house.

I am thinking of blasting them with a postcards. Thats gonna cost about 4,500 for a one time mailing.
I have every real estate agents email address in 2 counties about 5000 so I'm going to hit them up with an email offering my services, but on top of that I plan on offering them co-op advertizing for their listings if they want to run any adds or send out postcards or whatever, I will split the cost with them. This cost nothing for the email and then whatever I generate in agents.
I am going to try and get all the addresses of the owners of all the homes for sale in the area and send them a letter, thats about another 2000 or so and $1000 cost.

So depending on the respons from the real esate agents my 10 grand is spent. Think I could get 100 acounts from that. That comes down to 1/2 of a percent return before you include any advert done with real estate agents.

I am also going to try to sell agents and home sellers on paying for a years worth of service if someone buys their house. I give them a big discount because they will be paying up front at closing for the entire year for the buyer, and they will of course have a sign in their yard the displays the free lawn service if they buy they house, and the agent would put this in the MLS system as well, so I am gaining free advert on top of the client.

Is it possible?

Wells
04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Is it possible?

For a large company with a proven reputation in the marketplace, YES.
For a startup solo operation, NO.

If you land even half that number in your first season then you've had a GREAT year.

MJK
04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I'd agree with the above responce, i hope you can do it though. The first responce seemed pretty good.

lsylvain
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Right, down here I have no Rep. Back home, no problem, well back home I would only need about 20 accounts to live high on the hog but that is a different story all together. I do have to wonder around here how much your Rep really means though I don't have a phone book handy but there must be well over 300 companies, but I have noticed one thing. They are all gunning for the high dollar Island properties and the big new developments out east, but they are ignoring the inbetween and they don't advertize. I have 2 neighhbors that get their grass done, and not once has either one of them tried to advert to me. No hangers to mailers, nothing.

I can live with 50 and get a part time job. Any less than that though and I'm kind of up a creek. I could hire someone to do them for me. It also isn't the best time of year to be doing this I know.

Another marketing stategy would be to also target the homes that just sold. Between the two counties that is around 700 a month.

GreenN'Clean
04-19-2007, 06:29 PM
I agree with Wells 100%. Trying to land 100 customers within 4 months is a very big goal and even if you had 20-30 thousand to spend on advertising it would be hard to land that many so quickly unless you buy 100 yards from someone selling them and you will spend more then 20-30 grand for them. All I can say is good luck

SDNCLAWNCARE
04-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Not to mention estimating at least 200 clients just to get the 100 accounts. Where would that time come from?

britsteroni
04-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but invest your $10,000 on something that will pay higher dividends than "hoping" people call you to sevice their lawn. Don't spend that much money on something that can be done through word of mouth, etc. I know you said you have to get to "100" or bust, but in reality you can still do the part time mowing with your job if you want to bad enough. Good luck with whatever you decide!

GELAWNS
04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
That is a pretty high goal, but go for it. We average about 3-4 new accounts a month with very little advertising and sales efforts. The work is out there and we wish we had time to go look for it. You need to ask EVERYONE for the business. Another option is to look for someone getting out of the business and negotiate picking up their accounts.

lsylvain
04-20-2007, 09:12 AM
That is a pretty high goal, but go for it. We average about 3-4 new accounts a month with very little advertising and sales efforts. The work is out there and we wish we had time to go look for it. You need to ask EVERYONE for the business. Another option is to look for someone getting out of the business and negotiate picking up their accounts.

Believe me guys I know this is a big goal and like I said if I fall short NBD I get a part time job and deal with it. However I can't fall too short. Ie. if I'm only going to be able to ick up 16 accounts until then.

I've looked at buying several Biz setups and accounts, and guys always want entirly to much for them. It has really gotten ridiculus so many people want in this biz that they can sell accounts for over 1 years worth of revenues, it is insane. It would take 5 years just to get your money back on them. But the idiots with no math skills will buy them right up. crazy. OR i run into the idiot with 40k in equipment to mow 3k a year in accounts.

As far as estimateing goes that is another thing I have been thinking about. My county tax data is available online so I can pull up the home SQFT as well as the Lot SQFT, which will give me a basis of the size of the lawn. Then I can pull up the statlite image for the house and see fences hedges landscaping etc and get an idea about the mowable area. Most of the lots around here are cookie cutter square lots, about 8-16' above sea level so they are all good and flat. Prices vary little anyway from home to home. Because everything is so similar. I'm thinking just estimated it from my house and quate it to them right on the phone. Sure I might be a little off but it wouldn't be much.

willretire@40
04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
It can be done very easy. Atleast in my area it can. I spent about $2000 and have already added 23 new weekly customers and the weather isnt the best yet. Next week is when it is going to be in the 70's to 80 range so in 10 days the phone should really be ringing.

martinfan06
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Sounds like you have an aggressive but well thought out plan I say go for it, with all that I don't see how you wont at least get real close to your goal.

Military Lawns
04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Look I suppose it can be done and I will surely not doubt you. However, take into consideration that the $10,000.00 could be cut in half and put away, so that when the baby comes along you have something to play with while still focusing on your lawns. I too wanted 100 lawns in 1 year and unfortuantely, I had to scale my goals down temporary...I still want 100 lawns. This is my advice and why I say go for it. First of all have a Plan A, which is 100 lawns and a Plan B, which is 100 lawns. That way if Plan A fails, you can go to Plan B. You see I am working on Plan B only now my 100 lawns is still 100 lawns. You get one I am saying!

lsylvain
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
The 10,000 isn't going to make or break me so I'm not really worried about it. Well, it is 10,000 so i'm as worried about it as I am my truck without full coverage insurance on it. IT would really suck to loose it but I'm not going to be begging for change on the corner either.

The biggest thing is that hump, and getting over it as fast as possible. Not getting over the hump fast enough is what is going to kill me. It doesn't take long to run out of cash with a $2,000 or so a month mortgage payment. (dam house 10 minutes from the beach that I have been to maybe 3 times in 3 years)

that is also my big concern about picking up a part time job. Jobs take time and energy away from me doing things for the business. So I want to just crank it up and put myself in the situation where if I'm not mowing or doing maintainance I'm on the phone calling commercial accounts and door knocking and doing all the "regular" marketing that everyone elses is doing on top of the "big bang" theory I am trying oh so hard to come up with.

I really don't know what I am so worried about. Even after my cash runs out I still have enough credit and equity in the house to carry me easily for a year if I was to just sit on my butt and do nothing at all. Of course I dont' want to do that obviously, but it isn't like we are going to be on the street or something.

Also having done this before I know that the biggest "mistake" I made was not having enough left over at the end of the day to pump back into marketing, and not thinking big enough.

lsylvain
04-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh and thanks for all the advice so far guys.

ed2hess
04-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Kinda hard to understand how 100 accounts would generate enough money to keep you going especially in Florida where I would have thought competition would be very high. Now I would understand that a person could build a set of 100 good high end customers over time and make some good money as a solo but instantly....probably not. Every body else on America is putting their kid in day care...unless they have a grandma or pa.

topsites
04-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Look, if you go for raw numbers you'll end up with a slew of cheapo accounts whose owners think they need lawn service and are willing to spend a whopping 200-300 / year... Then they can sit around while you work, except now you don't have time for high-dollar accounts because you're always running between all of them.

And if you think you can make the time, I learned they don't want nothing to do with you. Because that's what I used to think, at one time I had 55 customers (and I don't see how, solo, you could do more, other than crappier or even smaller lawns).

Go for the quality customer, you can replace those 100 with 30 good ones, each of them willing to spend $700 - $1000+ / year, you make more money with a lot less running around, and you have time for each individual lawn and the results of your work speak for themselves.

I mean, I used to get up at 7am and run-run-run to get 10 lawns cut every day, it was tough going trying to gross a whole $300 and by the time I had a chance to sit down, it was always 10pm. And the problem is, all they ever want is the cheapest thing I can provide, a FEW will splurge once every third blue moon and wow gee, I might get $400 / year off an account here or there but they really don't give a rat how the yard looks... Actually, yes they do, they just can't afford it.

Nowadays, take today for instance... Got going at 10am, serviced two accounts (mulch), grossed $345 (cost of mulch $90), was back by 7p and by the time I got to sit down, it was 9p. I did get a blister, but other than that I felt so much less pressure, I had hours of daylight left the entire day and I had the chance to go over everything twice so as to make sure I didn't miss or mess something up, I tell you, it was almost a pleasure.

Now you might think it's better grossing $300 cutting grass than grossing $345-90 doing mulch, and you might think it's ok to work long and crazy hours, but I'm telling you it ain't worth it. Those mowers cost money, too, and cheap yards eat the machines alive, not to mention the folks who ... well, I don't know if they just don't want nothing to do with you or what, but the simple fact is you don't got time for them and yet you do 3 times the work for the same money (most of it running to-from).

lsylvain
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
No day care at all cost. No way. People wonder why society is going to hell in a handbasket, well no wonder you are letting people who get paid about $6.00 per hour raise your children then you wonder why they have no mannors or respect and get knocked up at 13. Think about this, who in their right mind would want to earn $6.00 an hour to watch someone elses children. I figure at least 25% of them are child molestors another 25% are going to become child molestors if put in the right situation, another 25% are religious nuts who want to screwup your kids brains, 10% are young adults trying to earn a few bucks until they get a real job, another 10% can't get a real job, leving you with 5% of them who are acutally good people who know something about child care and are not crazy. So there is a 95% chance that they are in some way going to screw up your kid.

I bet if you did a survey of pregnant teens a huge percentage of them would have been in day care, higher than that of the total public.

lsylvain
04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Look, if you go for raw numbers you'll end up with a slew of cheapo accounts whose owners think they need lawn service and are willing to spend a whopping 200-300 / year... Then they can sit around while you work, except now you don't have time for high-dollar accounts because you're always running between all of them.

And if you think you can make the time, I learned they don't want nothing to do with you. Because that's what I used to think, at one time I had 55 customers (and I don't see how, solo, you could do more, other than crappier or even smaller lawns).

Go for the quality customer, you can replace those 100 with 30 good ones, each of them willing to spend $700 - $1000+ / year, you make more money with a lot less running around, and you have time for each individual lawn and the results of your work speak for themselves.

I mean, I used to get up at 7am and run-run-run to get 10 lawns cut every day, it was tough going trying to gross a whole $300 and by the time I had a chance to sit down, it was always 10pm. And the problem is, all they ever want is the cheapest thing I can provide, a FEW will splurge once every third blue moon and wow gee, I might get $400 / year off an account here or there but they really don't give a rat how the yard looks... Actually, yes they do, they just can't afford it.

Nowadays, take today for instance... Got going at 10am, serviced two accounts (mulch), grossed $345 (cost of mulch $90), was back by 7p and by the time I got to sit down, it was 9p. I did get a blister, but other than that I felt so much less pressure, I had hours of daylight left the entire day and I had the chance to go over everything twice so as to make sure I didn't miss or mess something up, I tell you, it was almost a pleasure.

Now you might think it's better grossing $300 cutting grass than grossing $345-90 doing mulch, and you might think it's ok to work long and crazy hours, but I'm telling you it ain't worth it. Those mowers cost money, too, and cheap yards eat the machines alive, not to mention the folks who ... well, I don't know if they just don't want nothing to do with you or what, but the simple fact is you don't got time for them and yet you do 3 times the work for the same money (most of it running to-from).

I'm talking averageing $1000 a year accounts and slamming them out in under 30 minutes including drive time on average. I'm not working for free here that defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I want $8,000 in monthly revenues so I can net about $2,000 a month.

ed2hess
04-21-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm talking averageing $1000 a year accounts and slamming them out in under 30 minutes including drive time on average. I'm not working for free here that defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I want $8,000 in monthly revenues so I can net about $2,000 a month.
This is the kind of accounts we all want, most of us have worked for many years trying to put together sets of customers just like you describe. Unfortunately there are many other lawn businesses that keep getting in the way....maybe in your area there is a huge lack of quality service?

clcare2
04-21-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't know what you are mowing but, I've got 2 crews running 10 - 11 days

6 days a week to mow 120 lawns. My best day ever was 19 lawns with 2

people. And that was flying, no breaks , no lunch. we just wanted to see if

we could do it. Thank god we didn't lose any accounts from it.

lsylvain
04-21-2007, 01:34 AM
maybe I'm tired but I fail to see how $1000 per year accounts are really all that special. That comes out to less than $25.00 a cut in FL. And if you are running 4 guys and only grossing 120k a year I don't really think you are making any money, since your payrol would run you at least $60,000.(I only assume you must be grossing much higher than 120k a year.) I looked at purcahsing a biz down here that is grossing 45k a year only mowing 2 days a week with one person mowing and I say one person because it is a girl who runs it. So just using her number of 22.5k in revenue per day I should be able to pull 112k mowing 6 days a week.

willretire@40
04-21-2007, 04:07 AM
search for PTP. He got alot of customers in 1 year.

sheshovel
04-21-2007, 04:36 AM
That is just not going to happen before Aug. Period.

Grass-Masters
04-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Well I think it may be almost impossible, I ran 15,000 flyers over a 3 week period. And some newspaper ads. So far 30 new customers. I can't see being able to add another 70 buy august. But good luck man, sounds like a huge undertaking, I hope you got tons of help.

lsylvain
04-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Well I think it may be almost impossible, I ran 15,000 flyers over a 3 week period. And some newspaper ads. So far 30 new customers. I can't see being able to add another 70 buy august. But good luck man, sounds like a huge undertaking, I hope you got tons of help.

so useing your numbers if I put out 50,000 flyers I should get pretty darn close to my goal. How many calls did you get to net the 30 new customers. I have always had a very high rate of actually getting the jobs that I estimate. I don't know if it is because people like me or if I can read people well, or what it is. In past expericance I used to book 90% of the people I estimated/bid.

ACutAbovesiny
04-21-2007, 09:10 PM
so useing your numbers if I put out 50,000 flyers I should get pretty darn close to my goal. How many calls did you get to net the 30 new customers. I have always had a very high rate of actually getting the jobs that I estimate. I don't know if it is because people like me or if I can read people well, or what it is. In past expericance I used to book 90% of the people I estimated/bid.

WOW...if i was closing 90% i'd raise my price 10%.

Nathan Robinson
04-21-2007, 09:24 PM
you are basically saying you will pay $100.00 per customer! I would never pay more than $60.00 TOPS! Door hangers with estimates allready on them would be better effective than flyers. Yur competitions material exceeds flyers by far. Flyers are so 10 years ago! Hiring a kid is not the answer. does he know how to talk to customers annd answer questions? Does he know how to estimate a lawn a communicate appropriately? I would hire a trained sales to go door to door on Saterdays if you plan on hiring at all. NOT A KID WITH FLYERS! Thats gay! Go to people who mow and offer them $30.00 for all referalls that you close. They will listen to that! Sponser a t-ball leage for $150.00 and get your banner up and your name on shirts. If you make "AT LEAST" 2 sales there you will be doing good and that is a tax write off as contribution. "ITEMIZE".... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... This late in the season direct mail could be poor. Offer a kick ass referral program. You could hit the radio up and give it a shot. Nathan

Grass-Masters
04-22-2007, 10:33 AM

To get those 30 I have done almost 75 estimates so far. i would say if your pricing is right you would need to do at least 225-275 estimates. If you are low balling maybe you will only need to do 150-200 estimates. Either way, It is a little late in the season now to start advertising and expect a large call volume. But give it a shot, I would like to know if you pull this off.

Nathan Robinson
04-22-2007, 11:37 PM
TAKE A CHANCE HERE MAN! Take that 10 grand and get 8 Billboards for 40 days. Stir up your city and shake up your competition. Anyone who drives will see it. Offer a VERY CATCHY new customer discount. Advertise Advertise Advertise. People are still looking for lawn care providers. Tru-green and grandpas mowing is pissing off people. These customers are waiting for you to do that billboard so they can have your number. Do it man and have confidence in it. Just know that it will work! It has too.

clcare2
04-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Billboards don't work in our business. They are best used to let people know that businesses that they already use are in the area. I mow for a large billboard company and even they told me to stay away. Another company in town tried it and the billboard has been up for awhile now, last I heard 1 customer.

dewos
04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
What about calling up other businesses and see if they have any old customers that they are looking to drop. I have picked up a few this way.

ACutAbovesiny
04-23-2007, 02:44 AM
What about calling up other businesses and see if they have any old customers that they are looking to drop. I have picked up a few this way.

This is an easy way to get other peoples PITA's.

GELAWNS
04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Actually, it shouldn't be about getting 100 accounts. It should be about getting enough accounts to generate the revenue amount that you are trying for. Only about 75% of our revenue each month comes from mowing. The rest is projects (mulch, planting, trimming, etc.) for existing and call-in customers. Your advertising efforts could produce a few large accounts that can get you to that revenue goal. We have one account from a referral that gave us 13 properties or you could receive some project work that would help out until your schedule is full.

bassfishin002
04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
GELAWNS, who was the 13 accounts from like a real estate compmay or a subdivision or something like that?

kmann
04-23-2007, 10:48 AM

The thing you need to remember is that most people down here probably already have a Lawn Service and won't switch unless thay have to. The only way to get 100 new accounts is to either buy them, or go into a brand new development and bid real low, in which case you may have the accounts but no income. I'm sure you will also see, that down here, for every guy who advertises there are 50 who don't. But good luck.

SeaSouth
04-23-2007, 12:26 PM
This might be off topic but. I'm just wondering what the rest of you in FL are charging for lawns, mow trim edge blow. Becasue I can't see mowing for 20.00 unless it's a stamp.

kmann
04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
This might be off topic but. I'm just wondering what the rest of you in FL are charging for lawns, mow trim edge blow. Becasue I can't see mowing for 20.00 unless it's a stamp.

I try for 22.00 to 25 for the ones which take me about 30 minutes or less and thats on a year round monthly basis. Per cut I try for 30, but there are guys in the local Pennysaver charging 18.00 for any size yard, whatever that means. Or they say they will guarantee the lowest price. I can just imagine the people they attract.

lsylvain
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Actually, it shouldn't be about getting 100 accounts. It should be about getting enough accounts to generate the revenue amount that you are trying for. Only about 75% of our revenue each month comes from mowing. The rest is projects (mulch, planting, trimming, etc.) for existing and call-in customers. Your advertising efforts could produce a few large accounts that can get you to that revenue goal. We have one account from a referral that gave us 13 properties or you could receive some project work that would help out until your schedule is full.

I said 100 customers because saying 100k a year in revenues can be one job worth 100k or 200 jobs worth 500, plus I figured using this figure of 100 jobs will translate across states. See what I am saying.

I guess I should also refraze my question as.

If you had to have 100 more average year round mowing customers in 4 months, how would you do it? If September comes and you don't have 100 accounts you will get shot, stabbed, set on fire, and or otherwise mamaed and this is the only way to stop it. How would you get your 100 accounts.

lsylvain
04-24-2007, 10:09 AM
NE body have any ideas?

GELAWNS
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
I'll add using ServiceMagic.com for leads and contacting all the real estate people that you can. Houses are either sitting vacant right now or need some curb appeal to help sell them.

lifetree
04-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Hire a kid to pass out 3000 flyers and you still have $$ left over to pay off the reason you need 100 accounts.

ROFL ... touche' !!

Nathan Robinson
04-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Billboards don't work in our business. They are best used to let people know that businesses that they already use are in the area. I mow for a large billboard company and even they told me to stay away. Another company in town tried it and the billboard has been up for awhile now, last I heard 1 customer.

thats what they tell you so you wont do it. You said the billboard is still up right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:hammerhead:
:hammerhead:

lsylvain
04-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I'll add using ServiceMagic.com for leads and contacting all the real estate people that you can. Houses are either sitting vacant right now or need some curb appeal to help sell them.

Do you use this servicemagic.com? Never heard of it? Do you get leads from it? I just did a google for "lawn care" and they didn't come up in the first 3 pages, but a thread from LS came up. Seems like they would be better optimized than that, but if it works....

clcare2
04-25-2007, 01:08 AM
thats what they tell you so you wont do it. You said the billboard is still up right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:[QUOTE][]
:hammerhead:

I don't understand. Why would they turn down my business, like they care who wastes their money on bad advertising. I have been mowing for the billboard company for years. I don't think that they would give me bad advice.

As for the company that used the billboard.

Think, if you woke up one morning with a hundred grand and hated your job. What do you do? Start as lawn company, 'cause anybody can do it. (lots of money, lots of equiptment, crappy management and few accounts.

lsylvain
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
[B][QUOTE=Nathan Robinson;1805747]thats what they tell you so you wont do it. You said the billboard is still up right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:

I don't understand. Why would they turn down my business, like they care who wastes their money on bad advertising. I have been mowing for the billboard company for years. I don't think that they would give me bad advice.

As for the company that used the billboard.

Think, if you woke up one morning with a hundred grand and hated your job. What do you do? Start as lawn company, 'cause anybody can do it. (lots of money, lots of equiptment, crappy management and few accounts.

I agree, I don't see the point in spending all that money to advertize to 50,000 cars a day when 49,950 live 200 miles away and the 50 people that do your add, are they going to stop while driving 80 miles an hour to write down your phone number..... I just don't see it.

lsylvain
05-08-2007, 11:45 PM
WOW...if i was closing 90% i'd raise my price 10%.

It isn't about the price. I would always get a good rate. I had stuff I was pulling over $100 an hour on. Like I said I don't know what it is? I can usually always read someone and get a good idea of what they are willing to pay and if they are just tire kicking and so on, and land the job. I once bid $300 a cut more than the other guy and got the job. Why? I have no idea....

lsylvain
05-08-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't see it either and I don't like it but I keep getting back to that number. based on all the companies I have researched. for every one customer they have they are bringing in 1000 in revenues. 42 cuts a year 23.8 a cut.

PatriotLandscape
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM

Can't believe I am typing this but I agree with topsites. Our average maintenance client is 5k per year and we service a few and make more. Create relationships with people and thats what makes money.

Spending 10k is a lot for advertisement and even if you did get those 100 clients thats about 20 lawns a day. Trust me you don;t want to be working like crazy once your baby gets here that what you should have done before he got there.

It will take years for a solo op to recoup that 10k

GELAWNS
05-09-2007, 09:20 AM
We are getting leads daily from ServiceMagic.Com and getting the account or job probably 85% of the time. It is working the best for us, which is why I keep mentioning it. Another thing we have noticed the last few weeks; we have been picking up clients because we are the only one calling them back and coming out to talk to them. People are trying to shop around and they can't! We know we are not the cheapest out there and sometimes even bid high because our schedule is full. For all the new LCO's out there.... return all your phone calls!

oak1787
05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
We are getting leads daily from ServiceMagic.Com and getting the account or job probably 85% of the time. It is working the best for us, which is why I keep mentioning it. Another thing we have noticed the last few weeks; we have been picking up clients because we are the only one calling them back and coming out to talk to them. People are trying to shop around and they can't! We know we are not the cheapest out there and sometimes even bid high because our schedule is full. For all the new LCO's out there.... return all your phone calls!

If you get to many you can send me some over here:cool2: :cool2:

lsylvain
05-09-2007, 08:49 PM
My big thing about service magic right now is that I am doing test adds with google adwords right now and comming in at a better spot on the page than them 50% of the time and I only have my budget set to $2.00 a day because my site isn't fully operational yet. So in theory the people in my service area should be clicking on my site before they click on service magic.

topsites
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
It isn't about the price. I would always get a good rate. I had stuff I was pulling over $100 an hour on. Like I said I don't know what it is? I can usually always read someone and get a good idea of what they are willing to pay and if they are just tire kicking and so on, and land the job. I once bid $300 a cut more than the other guy and got the job. Why? I have no idea....

I do it all the time, more so on jobs I don't really want to do, push that rate sky high so if they say yes I'll likely be there like next day lol. Just the other day I earned $100 / hour, too, then another $100 at another job (thou I skru'd it up, should've charged 120), still I left my house at 11a was back by 3p and $200 in my pocket.

Some of the reasons I charge higher:
- Extra challenging, not that I can't do it, but it's a real fun one.
- Very hard or dirty work, like brush clearing or hauling debris to the dump.
- If I sense they don't want to spend a lot, double the price, sometimes double again.
- When the customer wants to control certain aspects of things, ooo this gets real expensive fast :laugh:
- When I feel someone is trying to take advantage of me or a loophole, watch out lol.
> This one RULES, when a customer is trying to scam or take advantage of me, turn the tables: Hot potato!
>> Nothing they can do, nobody ever says a word, thou they do stand there with a look like egg-on-your-face.
- Off-season work, like leaf cleanups in June.
There is reason to the madness, if it's off-season it means I have to run a machine that hasn't seen any maintenance since it was IN season, likely the oil is pitch black, and so on...

Why work yourself to death with 100 accounts when you can bid what you need in order to ensure your tail gets out of bed? Because that was my big thing, for a long time there were days I couldn't even get out of bed, just had absolutely no incentive to want to go to work. That, or I was always frustrated or in some stage of anger management, you know 'It will be awrite, it is ok, it is not so bad' and so on.

Finally one day it dawned on me:
1) I can NOT do it cheap enough, it's ALWAYS too much for somebody.
> I swear I quoted someone like a $15 / hour rate one day and it was too high.
So, who cares?

2) I can NOT bargain with the IRS, the fuel station, the dealer, or really anyone whom I need to run my business.
> Not true, J-Thomas gives a 10% discount on orders over $1,000
Yeah, so no bickering or haggling or back-and-forth stuff.

3) Quoting high prices is amusing, rewarding, and in the end there is absolutely nothing money can not fix.
> My biggest problem is actually keeping a straight face, that's how amusing it is, age helps.

Money may not buy happiness, but since the lack or presence of it seems to matter little anyhow, I'd rather be filthy rich and tyvm :laugh:

PatriotLandscape
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
still I left my house at 11a was back by 3p and $200 in my pocket.

and what are your daily operational costs? making 200 gross in a day won't cover your true expenses. Why not work 8 hours a day?

sheshovel
05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't care if you hire a blimp to advertize 100 clients by Aug is an impossibility.
It just won't happen.

orangeblossom
05-13-2007, 01:03 PM
You need 100 accounts by August! What type of landscaper are you? Yea, you can get it, just charge $5.00 per cut. You'll have they running to you, and beating down your door!

You see, this is what I can not seem to EVER UNDERSTAND! Like 100 accounts make a huge and rich business.

Well, if you market yourself right, all you would NEED is perhaps 20 accounts.; and YOU would be home to spend time with the baby.

Just this mere question tells me, you do not belong in this field. I am sorry for being rude, but its' the truth. I suggest you go and get a job.

willretire@40
05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
I sure wish justmowit would post here. I bet you anything that he has gotten well over 100 accounts in a summer. Most people here that post think small. You have to think big and work hard towards that goal. I have picked up 50 new clients this year alone and still have 42 of them. I advertise in 2 coupon magazines and get $30 for 1/5 acre and $35 for 1/4 and $50 for 1/2 acre. I havent even started doing fliers. That is not even counting the customers that I missed b.c I was unable to answer the phone. I know I have missed about 15-20 calls alone. Now I am getting part-time office help to answer phones.

Some people are going to say that I dont need office help and that I am not making much money. And that is true if you are looking at now. I am trying to make a business out of this for later on down the road.

There is 2 LCO at every light. Just to show you how many people are here doing it.

STOP THINKING SMALL.

bullethead
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
If you are talking mowblowgo, it is not impossible as all the naysayers preach. You have to have the business model and capital to accomodate it. Go for it - "it's dog eat dog world out there and you can either be a hot dog or a weenie".

Howard Roark
05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
169 new customers this year in our first 35 days. No big budget, and no blimps. Just common sense advertising and a good market.

For ALL those who say it can't be done in this thread, perhaps it can't be in YOUR market. Oh yeah, and just shut the H*ll up. Just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean others can't.

lsylvain
05-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Can't talk now to busy mowing. lol Actually I have not picked up a single account yet the phone just isn't ringing, but I have talked to a couple of guys in the area and they are seeing the same thing. We have had one hour of rain in 2 months and half the state bunt up last week so the only people who have grass growing are those that are irrigating. I just mowed my lawn for the first time in a month and it didn't really need it I just wanted to play with my new mower. The best shot of rain is next Wed and then it is only 30% chance. It's not looking good but the hurricanes will be here soon so we have that to look forward too, lol.

lsylvain
05-26-2007, 09:31 PM
My big thing about service magic right now is that I am doing test adds with google adwords right now and comming in at a better spot on the page than them 50% of the time and I only have my budget set to $2.00 a day because my site isn't fully operational yet. So in theory the people in my service area should be clicking on my site before they click on service magic.

Who on here works for service magic????? I noticed they started out bidding me on google.

cpel2004
05-26-2007, 11:24 PM
TopSite I couldn't agree with you more, especially the part about getting out of the bed. I love like the top 10 reason you charge more. Now my question is do you state that on your contracts?

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2007, 03:15 PM
excellent article in I think it was Turf this month about a dallas co who goes after the mid line residential. Guys dont think you can make a ton of money with mid end homes but dollar for dollar the middle class homes are our biggest profit for mowing. Sure the bigger homes for us generate more $$ but when you compare em side by side on hours spent I think Im making 150% more on the middle class homes.

lsylvain
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
All right phone. I have only gotten 3 leads so far off about $1500 worth of direct marketing, one I turned down because the guy was going to be a pita, and the other 2 were to far away. Been sitting here doing my rain dance but it sure isn't helping much.

Giantpumpkin
06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I have used Service Magic before for tring to get remodeling jobs and all of the leads I paid for amounted to nothing. It is a waste of money based on my experience.

David Hartzog
06-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Didn't read any post so i say keep the money don't spent it.ahhhh never mind as i said i din't read any post i started with a push mower now i own my house 7 years later there are so many ways to get busneiss i say brive. Slip $20.00
i lost a lost but they eventally called cah-ching

lsylvain
06-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm on target now! Calls finally started comming in. Have DM letters set to go out 1000 a week for 5 weeks already bought and paid for. I have the top spot on google in my area for lawn care, even been beating out Scotts and Truegreen for the spot. Then in 3 weeks I have 10,000 fliers a week going out for 2 maybe 3 weeks in the newspaper.

Should make it if the whether holds up.

Stillwater
06-24-2007, 01:56 AM
You have 10 grand to spend on marketing, what would I do? I would tell you not to spend 10 grand on marketing.

Patriot Services
06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Glad to hear business finally kicked up for you. Now that we are getting regular rain again you should get more calls. I have been getting 20-30 calls a week that result in 2-3 accounts that I really want. I refused to take crap and pitas this year. No price haggling either. Does Bradenton have a large paper like the Tampa Tribune? I advertise only in their service directory, usually only 1-3 competition ads. Price starts at 93.50 for 14 days. Good Luck!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Patriot Services
07-15-2007, 04:47 PM
How about an update. How close are you to your goal? Enquiring minds want to know!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Frontier-Lawn
07-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I have $10,000 to spend on marketing. What would you do?

bi weekly tab-on adds in the Sarasota and the Bradenton papers.

Gaturf
07-18-2007, 12:27 AM
yeah........are you at 100 yet? Its almost baby time!

Chilehead
07-18-2007, 01:15 AM
You may want to try to contact some property management companies. Nag them till they crack, and then you'll have plenty of acreage to mow.

lsylvain
07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Have not made the 100 yet. I got started even later than I had hoped and have not gone full tilt yet with my advertizing. I slowed down early July. I realized that even though the baby will be here this week, I still have at least 6 more weeks with the wife home on leave from work.

Been running a 1/4 page ad in the paper every other week and doing some direct mail letters. I was doing them myself and getting about 3 accounts for every 500 letters I mailed, so i descided to pay a company to send them out for me in big batches. After 5000 letters supposedly went out, I picked up one job and only got maybe 5 calls. I don't think they mailed them all to be honest, but how would I prove it.

I'm getting great action off my website picking up at least one new job a week. and I pulled 3 from my newspaper ad today. I have not pulled out the email list yet because I don't want to piss my boss off until after I quit, lol.

In my endecors though I have made some great contacts. one with the sales manager of a 127 acre resort that will begin contruction in about 6 months. And I have also come across a couple of guys wanting to sell their biz and they are not asking 4 arms and 16 legs for them. One guy I'm pretty serious about. $75,000 for 120k in accounts and all new equipment, nothing older than 2005. I figure I can beat home down to at least $60,000.

Total I have 27 accounts which aint to bad and I haven't put out a single door hanger. Which although I abosolulty hate the thought of it, I might go ahead and do a ton of them on my vacation.

rudeboy
08-01-2007, 01:22 AM

yeah raise your price if your getting 90% your price is too low if your getting that range

rudeboy
08-01-2007, 01:47 AM
well im gald you got 27 accounts so far

Turfinator1
08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
27 accounts thats not to bad!!! How much have you spent to get them accounts. Are the year contract accounts???

Quality SR
08-11-2007, 03:22 PM
lsylvain do you have an update on your business and the baby? Let us know how your making out. Rich

rudeboy
08-11-2007, 09:47 PM
is there any updates on this

woodbutcher44
08-12-2007, 10:33 PM
is there any updates on this

lsylvain
09-05-2007, 05:05 PM
only 56 accounts so far, somewhere in the neighborhood of $4700 a month in billing. I've only spent about $5,000 on advertizing so far. I'm slowing down now. I still have about 2500 door hangers that I need to put out around my accounts but I'm going to lay low until a get a better grasp on keep up with these accounts. I'm going to have to buy another mower, thinking of getting a 52" w/b. I already have a 48" Z and a 36" w/b. spending $8,000 on a new Z for an extra 4 inches seems silly, but spending $6,000 for an extra 16" makes a bit more sence in my mind.

Then I think once I start getting more accounts I'm going to spin off a separate truck that is just the 36's and 22's and do all the little stuff, and start pushing "push mow" service.

Grits
09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Not too shabby! Congrats!!

Patriot Services
09-06-2007, 06:49 PM
:usflag: Like I said guys it is never too late to pick up new accounts in Florida. Every day this week 4 times today alone people have stopped me to ask for a quote. I picked up 3 next door accounts this week. That means 3 more PITA's or smaller accounts are gone. I think alot of new guys got baked quick this year. Put your hangers around your current customers with a quick quote written on them.:usflag:

willretire@40
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I gained 85 new accounts this year and have kept at least 65. Some of those 85 were 1 or 2 time cuts

topsites
09-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I just don't understand, other than I can see you definitely had money to throw around :laugh:

Specifically thou, my problem is with the customer numbers...
There's just no way, I find, unless I compromise and we're talking compromise.
I find at least 9 out of 10 customers all want something for nothing, and it seems to me once I start down this road I never win.

- Drive my price past their range and it's a lost cause OR they agree and then never pay or any other number of things.

More than a few, if not all customers have a price in mind, that is what they're willing to pay for what they're asking. It's backwards if you ask me, you can't walk into any store and simply state YOUR price for whatever THEY have, but apparently that's how it always works with these guys.

Price above and beyond and even when they agree it doesn't stop there.
They still feel like it's too much, now it awakens some inner demon of theirs and they don't stop chasing that magical initial figure of THEIRS, have some they call 3 times in 2 hours 'hey are you coming out here and when-when-when come NOW' and it's all about this hand-holding trip from here to hell and back the entire time, either that or they stand by supervising the entire time OR they want to help or any other number of things, some are just better than others.

I get a few that are real peachy, no ongoing problems ever, their lawn looks nice and they're willing to pay for it and never no argument about it. They don't hold me back for 20-45 minutes every single dang time I come out with the chit chat, theirs checks never bounce, they don't try to run my business / try to tell me how to do things / want the job to their specs, I don't have to pull teeth to get the money I want, still I'm nowhere near the end but their payments are ON time every time and so on. They don't hog my line, don't try and get the extras thrown in for free, they don't jerk my chain or treat me like their little johnny lawnpet, they don't send me nutcase referrals one after the other (get this: In HOPES that between all their friends they will get such an inextricable hold on my business that I will be so dependent on THEIR income that I HAVE to do whatever they say, that's the real reason for these referral-senders)... And, the wife doesn't get smart with me and then when I don't want to have sex with her I'm the bad guy and fully to blame, they don't take what I just said and turn it right around and throw it back at me in order to help themselves through the magic loophole THEY just created, they don't step over the line and if by accident when I point it out do it again and again as if it's funny, and last but not least we get along, that's how good a truly few folk are.

They don't invite me inside the house and offer me a beer and when they or their friends find out that I don't drink now suddenly it's cookies and cream, my god, and they don't act like I need their 'donations' to survive (as in, I'm performing my services for cash donations, yeah that must be what this is, no kidding)...

What else is there, omg...
I could summarize a few by saying they don't try to get over on me every single time I turn around, it's not a constant fight having to watch my back door because if I accidentally leave it open but a crack they simply help themselves to whatever is currently at hand.

It might not be so bad if there was a sincere thank you involved from time to time, but even thou a few do say it, almost always a short time later they always do something ELSE that spells it out real loud and clear, actions speaking louder than words it says to me they really didn't care at all and they were just saying 'ty' to butter me up, for all it's worth.

They don't call me in september wanting 'year-round service' knowing dang well there aren't but 1 or 2 cuts left (if I get 3 out of them I'm dang fortunate to have snuck it past them), but when the REAL reason for it is that they wanted to sneak themselves onto my schedule RIGHT on time for LEAVES, which in and of itself wouldn't be so bad EXCEPT they don't want to pay a lot either, of course they want services next year, oh sure, which:

They don't call me with grass 3 feet tall talking about 'year-round service' knowing dang well the only reason they're saying it is to get a better price, and knowing even better that if I fail ONCE to give them their famous discount or should I fark up even slightly anywhere else they will give me the boot, that is, so long the pita job is done, they also don't care.

Few and far in between they are for sure, I dare say close to 99 out of 100 are no good at all in some manner way shape or form it's always some BEE ESS, lol. Thou more than a few come close and it's a matter of how much I'm willing to tolerate fine, but tolerance has its limits because when money is involved, at least from my side of the fence if there exists compromise then there also exists loss, of at least some kind.

Call it intolerance on my part, call it what you will, but it gets to a point, why should I work for these nutcase exigent mofos for whom you can't bend over backwards enough, the appreciation is there but their entire behaviour spells it out that all they really wanted was some punk dumb idiot to work as hard as possible for the least amount of money, in short, these people will drive me into the dirt and OUT of business, and THESE are the people I find in abundance... A dime a dozen they come a running, like an army of the Living Dead out of the woodworks they come and I can not stop them, beat them off one after the other and still more and more and more they come.

Get to a point one day DARE and lay into any one of them, now the entire prospective customer base slows down, the good ones, too, so once again I stand with my hands tied behind my back, swallowing the sheer ire and impulse to beat the living crap out of someone who so desperately needs it in a nation FULL of young snotnosed kids who ALL think the world owes them whatever they desire, served on a silver platter, now and for free, oh yeah, please, gee...

sorry :laugh:

Patriot Services
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Topsites? Brother you gonna make it to the end of the season without getting medieval on someones buttocks even though they richly deserve it? I hear you though, thats why every Pita comes with an expiration date of saying to myself " as soon as I can replace you, you are gone." Hand in there.

Grits
09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I just don't understand, other than I can see you definitely had money to throw around :laugh:

Specifically thou, my problem is with the customer numbers...
There's just no way, I find, unless I compromise and we're talking compromise.
I find at least 9 out of 10 customers all want something for nothing, and it seems to me once I start down this road I never win.

- Drive my price past their range and it's a lost cause OR they agree and then never pay or any other number of things.

More than a few, if not all customers have a price in mind, that is what they're willing to pay for what they're asking. It's backwards if you ask me, you can't walk into any store and simply state YOUR price for whatever THEY have, but apparently that's how it always works with these guys.

Price above and beyond and even when they agree it doesn't stop there.
They still feel like it's too much, now it awakens some inner demon of theirs and they don't stop chasing that magical initial figure of THEIRS, have some they call 3 times in 2 hours 'hey are you coming out here and when-when-when come NOW' and it's all about this hand-holding trip from here to hell and back the entire time, either that or they stand by supervising the entire time OR they want to help or any other number of things, some are just better than others.

I get a few that are real peachy, no ongoing problems ever, their lawn looks nice and they're willing to pay for it and never no argument about it. They don't hold me back for 20-45 minutes every single dang time I come out with the chit chat, theirs checks never bounce, they don't try to run my business / try to tell me how to do things / want the job to their specs, I don't have to pull teeth to get the money I want, still I'm nowhere near the end but their payments are ON time every time and so on. They don't hog my line, don't try and get the extras thrown in for free, they don't jerk my chain or treat me like their little johnny lawnpet, they don't send me nutcase referrals one after the other (get this: In HOPES that between all their friends they will get such an inextricable hold on my business that I will be so dependent on THEIR income that I HAVE to do whatever they say, that's the real reason for these referral-senders)... And, the wife doesn't get smart with me and then when I don't want to have sex with her I'm the bad guy and fully to blame, they don't take what I just said and turn it right around and throw it back at me in order to help themselves through the magic loophole THEY just created, they don't step over the line and if by accident when I point it out do it again and again as if it's funny, and last but not least we get along, that's how good a truly few folk are.

They don't invite me inside the house and offer me a beer and when they or their friends find out that I don't drink now suddenly it's cookies and cream, my god, and they don't act like I need their 'donations' to survive (as in, I'm performing my services for cash donations, yeah that must be what this is, no kidding)...

What else is there, omg...
I could summarize a few by saying they don't try to get over on me every single time I turn around, it's not a constant fight having to watch my back door because if I accidentally leave it open but a crack they simply help themselves to whatever is currently at hand.

It might not be so bad if there was a sincere thank you involved from time to time, but even thou a few do say it, almost always a short time later they always do something ELSE that spells it out real loud and clear, actions speaking louder than words it says to me they really didn't care at all and they were just saying 'ty' to butter me up, for all it's worth.

They don't call me in september wanting 'year-round service' knowing dang well there aren't but 1 or 2 cuts left (if I get 3 out of them I'm dang fortunate to have snuck it past them), but when the REAL reason for it is that they wanted to sneak themselves onto my schedule RIGHT on time for LEAVES, which in and of itself wouldn't be so bad EXCEPT they don't want to pay a lot either, of course they want services next year, oh sure, which:

They don't call me with grass 3 feet tall talking about 'year-round service' knowing dang well the only reason they're saying it is to get a better price, and knowing even better that if I fail ONCE to give them their famous discount or should I fark up even slightly anywhere else they will give me the boot, that is, so long the pita job is done, they also don't care.

Few and far in between they are for sure, I dare say close to 99 out of 100 are no good at all in some manner way shape or form it's always some BEE ESS, lol. Thou more than a few come close and it's a matter of how much I'm willing to tolerate fine, but tolerance has its limits because when money is involved, at least from my side of the fence if there exists compromise then there also exists loss, of at least some kind.

Call it intolerance on my part, call it what you will, but it gets to a point, why should I work for these nutcase exigent mofos for whom you can't bend over backwards enough, the appreciation is there but their entire behaviour spells it out that all they really wanted was some punk dumb idiot to work as hard as possible for the least amount of money, in short, these people will drive me into the dirt and OUT of business, and THESE are the people I find in abundance... A dime a dozen they come a running, like an army of the Living Dead out of the woodworks they come and I can not stop them, beat them off one after the other and still more and more and more they come.

Get to a point one day DARE and lay into any one of them, now the entire prospective customer base slows down, the good ones, too, so once again I stand with my hands tied behind my back, swallowing the sheer ire and impulse to beat the living crap out of someone who so desperately needs it in a nation FULL of young snotnosed kids who ALL think the world owes them whatever they desire, served on a silver platter, now and for free, oh yeah, please, gee...

sorry :laugh:

I only read about the first 1/4 of your post Topsites. You are very long-winded. You know they make a pill that can make you better.
I have never heard ANYBODY that has problems with customers like you do. You ever stop to think that MAYBE it isn't everybody else that is crazy and ridiculous. Chill out a little, Topsites, it isn't worth making yourself looney. And if it is that bad for you, I would look at getting out of the business.

willretire@40
09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
topsites topsites topsites..........

U need to change your business plan.

D & J Lawn Care
09-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm in Tampa I know the season I have 70 residential and 3 commercial it took 4 years I use the flyer i dont think any thing in the Realtor way is going to work no ones paying anything extra in this market on both ends and fall is near if March yes you could if networking , 2 more weeks of raining season you might try to buy some accounts I do a big commercial 91unit condo 5 acre here and the guy in charge (it's a big construction company based in Atlanta) has units in Sarasota and asked if I would go down there i said no if your in a bind and a pro i can pass your number if who they use don't work out it's still in the begining phases:usflag:

Grits
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm in Tampa I know the season I have 70 residential and 3 commercial it took 4 years I use the flyer i dont think any thing in the Realtor way is going to work no ones paying anything extra in this market on both ends and fall is near if March yes you could if networking , 2 more weeks of raining season you might try to buy some accounts I do a big commercial 91unit condo 5 acre here and the guy in charge (it's a big construction company based in Atlanta) has units in Sarasota and asked if I would go down there i said no if your in a bind and a pro i can pass your number if who they use don't work out it's still in the begining phases:usflag:

Punctuation please.

lsylvain
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
up to 65 descent Accounts got rid of a couple PITA's. The best part is only a few are one stop jobs we at least do 2 homes every time we stop the truck 90% of the time. I'm pretty much maxed out on time keeping a buffer of time for break downs etc. We are looking into my wife quiting her job this spring giveing me an extra 15 hours or so a week to pick up some more work. I have a part time employee right now. I did have a full time guy for most of October but the time saveings wasn't worth the cost.

lsylvain
09-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Been a long time since I posted. We reached 100 accounts by April this year 2008 and are at about 120 now. I dad 2 full time and one part time guy but I just fired one of the full time guys and started running my other guy 60 hours a week and the PT about 20-30.

We are maxed out so to grow any more I need another truck.

Tyler7692
09-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Congratulations...

Grits
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Hell yeah! What did you find to be the best marketing / advertising?

MileHigh
09-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Been a long time since I posted. We reached 100 accounts by April this year 2008 and are at about 120 now. I dad 2 full time and one part time guy but I just fired one of the full time guys and started running my other guy 60 hours a week and the PT about 20-30.

We are maxed out so to grow any more I need another truck.

Quite inspirational....good job.

lsylvain
09-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Hell yeah! What did you find to be the best marketing / advertising?

Really a combination of a lot of things. Internet, postcards, personal letters, sales letters, door hangers, craigslist.

It cost a lot of money to do but the upside to all of this is not only have I quit my Desk job, but in April my wife left hers to be a stay at home Mom.

It took about 9 Months to reach my 100 accounts.