PDA

View Full Version : Air Brakes

srl28
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
In talking to my truck dealer while looking for a larger truck, he was saying that there is no cdl needed for driving a truck, under the 26,001 lb limit. Is this true? If so is there any proof? He siad it is a common misconception that you need a cdl for air brakes. Anyone know if this is true or not? If it matters, I'm in NJ and all our work is as well. Thanks

Dirt Digger2
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
long as the truck doesnt weigh in over 26001lbs you dont need one...best bet, go to the DMV and get a commercial drivers license book and it will answer all you questions...that way theres no debates 100 posts long on the need for airbrake endorsments or not.

srl28
04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't think so but......... Anyone else?? Thanks Dirt Digger2

EMJ
04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I know that you do not need a CDL for a truck under 26001 lbs here in Florida. As for air brakes that is a special endorsement down here. You can get a CDL with or without air brakes. I do not know if you would need to get the air brake endorsement for a truck under 26001 lbs.

mini14
04-19-2007, 09:56 PM
if the truck is under 26000 u might not be getten true air brakes, they might be air over hydralic...and u will need a dot number and probably a H.U.T permit.

Scag48
04-20-2007, 01:58 AM
If it has air, you need a CDL, that's federal DMV law. States vary as far as combination vehicles limits go, but if you're running air, you need an endorsement.

Andyinchville
04-21-2007, 05:56 PM
In VA if the truck is under 26000 lbs you do not need a cdl with or without airbrakes, if a vehicle is 26001 or more you will need a CDL, if it is 26001 or more with airbrakes you will need a CDL with the airbrake endorsement....Most trucks
under 26001 will not have airbrakes.
Andrew

srl28
04-21-2007, 06:22 PM
The only reason this truck would have airbrakes is because the dealer would de-rate the truck to under CDL limits and the truck would have airbrakes still. Royal Truck is who said this is feasible.

DKinWA
04-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Per one of our local Washington state commercial vehicle enforcement officers, "the cdl requirement has absolutely nothing to do with the brakes". Over 26,000 you need to pass the air brake test to have the air brake "restriction" removed from your license. I would check with your local commercial vehicle enforcement officers so you know what's required in your state.

tthomass
04-22-2007, 10:53 PM
You need nothing more than a regular drivers license until you reach 26,001. It does not matter if you have air brakes or not. There are many trucks under 26,000 with airbrakes that are NOT "de rated".

"De rating" is a another whole argument.

After 26,001+ you must have a CDL and if it has air brakes you'll need the endorsment.

So, no you do not need a CDL for your truck because it is under 26,001 and the brakes have nothing to do with it. You do not need a DOT either if you stay in NJ.......cross state lines etc, yes.

srl28
04-22-2007, 11:10 PM
O.K tthomas thanks, thats what I wanted to hear, but is there any proof of that? I appreciate you telling us but is there somewhere where it is written? Cant seem to find anything. Thanks

TGM
04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
anything over 26k, unless it's an rv:hammerhead: , and you need a cdl. i always thought that you needed a cdl for air brake endorsement, but i've heard that air brakes may not fall under the cdl rule.

remmeber, if you hook a trailer up to the truck and the total gvw (not registered, but what is factory stickered) of the truck and trailer are over 26000, then you need a cdl.

d&rlawncare
04-23-2007, 10:37 PM
The only reason this truck would have airbrakes is because the dealer would de-rate the truck to under CDL limits and the truck would have airbrakes still. Royal Truck is who said this is feasible.

BE VERY CAREFUL ON THIS. I am in Michigan and we only go by the ORIGINAL Manufactures (spelling?) rating. A dealer or body shop can make all the changes in the world and we HAVE TO go by the original GVWR of the truck. DO NOT let them tell you otherwise. They will tell you anything to make the sale!!!! If you were stopped in MI the GVWR was originally 26001 or above you would be placed out of service until a CDL driver got there. Plus a handful of tickets.

If the original tag is altered or hand written in pen, I look it up in the computer under a program called VIN ASSIST. This gives me a range of GVWR's this truck falls under.

If you have the VIN send me a PM and I will look it up at work for you.

d&rlawncare
04-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Taken directly from the New Jersey website. I did not read it word for word but it looks like the same law MI has. Just because you have air brakes DOES NOT mean you need a CDL<------IN MICHIGAN. go to this site and read.

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/apply-cdl.php#CDL_Classes_for_Every_State

New Jersey, before you can apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL) from the state's Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), you must first have a regular automobile driver's license, referred to as Class D. In addition, before applying, you will want to be familiar with the threes classes of CDL licenses.With a Class A license, you will be able to drive:

A truck and trailer that has a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or above, if the trailer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is more than 10,000 pounds.
A Class B or C vehicle, as long as you have the necessary endorsements.
With a Class B license, you will be able to drive:

A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more towing a trailer with a GVWR below 10,000 pounds.
A bus with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more that is designed to carry 16 or more occupants (the driver included).
A Class C vehicle, as long as you have the necessary endorsements.
With a Class C license, you will be able to drive:

Any vehicle with a GVWR below 26,001 pounds that is required to carry a hazardous materials placard.
Any bus, including a school bus, that is designed to carry 16 or more occupants, counting the driver, with a GVWR below 26,001 pounds, or a school vehicle designed to carry no more than 15 passengers, including the driver.
Any vehicle designed to carry eight to 15 passengers, including the driver, that is used for hire