PDA

View Full Version : Drove a Hustler Z

Lawnworks
08-02-2001, 06:46 PM
Today I drove a hustler at my DC dealer. It seemed like a real solid machine. I liked it more than an exmark. It had smoother steering than a Great Dane or an Exmark. It also had a pretty low center of gravity. The cut looked good, but I don't know how it compares to an exmark. But of course the ride wasn't as good as my chopper's and it wasn't as fast. I also got a look at the new choppers, and I swear they just keep getting better and better. My buddy is thinking of buying a Hustler, what do yall think about them?

mowerconsultant
08-02-2001, 07:49 PM
Which unit did you drive ?
The standard Z or the Super Z ?
The Super Z has a higher ground speed than the chopper.
The cut quality is as good as or better than others on the market.

Eric ELM
08-02-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
The Super Z has a higher ground speed than the chopper.

Mowerconsultant, do you want to race? I couldn't resist. :laugh:

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/dixie_1.jpg

mowerconsultant
08-02-2001, 09:53 PM
Eric,
Do you think they will let me borrow that engine for a few days ?
Then we can have some fun !!!!

Lawnworks
08-02-2001, 09:58 PM
I drove a regular Hustler Z w/ a 23 kaw and 60" deck.

Mark
08-02-2001, 10:36 PM
I demoed the Super Z at the Expo that seat was so comfy but couldn't tell about the cut with no grass but its built very well and ill give it a 9.5 on the 1 to 10 scale. It also smoked all the Choppers i drove in speed. Marks Mowing Service

awm
08-03-2001, 06:08 PM
I THINK THATS MY NEXT Z .BUT THE EXMARK GOT SOME YRS LEFT IN IT. on the other hand ,what could i expect for my good little lazer on a trade there mowerconsultant. itll clean up good and the engine and everything else is good.18 hp kohler 52 lazer.
hope this is alright eric. it just popped into my mind.
ps the 18 hp is converted to 20hp

mowerconsultant
08-03-2001, 08:23 PM
AWM,
What year is it ?
I can look up blue book values for you and kinda give you a idea what its worth.

Pj

Shawn Burns
08-03-2001, 09:30 PM
my broyher and i have both bought hustler z's this year, and both of us really like them!!! i have had a little trouble with the carb. on the 23 kawi, but am getting that straightened out now. i had a toro z 23 kohler/ 52 inch deck and the hustler is a stronger and easier to operate machine. my wife coulden't get the hang of the toro runnin around our acre yard, but she jumped right on the hustler and had no problems! hydrolics are that much better. holds a hill like you woulden't believe also!

BTW, mine has 200 hrs and bro.'s has about 110hrs.

crazygator
08-04-2001, 12:15 AM
Lawnworks, I too demo'd a Z 23hp Kaw 60" at the dealer, and it seemed like a wonderful machine. I did demo the Super Z at the expo and all I can say is save your money and get the super Z. It was so much different, there is no comparison. Trust me I tried them both side by side at the expo. Super z is the best one yet. I like the way the Hustler brand is overbuilt, or very sturdy, however you want to look at it. Also you will have the best support from the factory you could ever find. Dont even waste your money with the others, get the Hustler and you'll never buy from anyone else. At least thats what I have found, and sure others have or will find also. Let me know when you get it and just how good it really is!:D

awm
08-04-2001, 12:50 AM
its a 96 with about a thousand hrs. sorryit took so long ,my 13 yr old daughter has decided the computer is mostly hers. laterTM

David Gretzmier
08-04-2001, 02:11 AM
after the expo I am convinced the super z with the suspension seat will out mow anything out there in smooth or bumpy conditions. I would even put money against the jet engine chopper. Everyone eho has ridden the super z says it feels like the entire mower raises the bar on smoothness. for the industry. that comfort feeling is Key. we slow down when we feel the mower is bouncing. the super don't bounce. and you will save a minute or two per lawn with the speed. at around 82-8500 no brainer. read about me an boo zoo's racing escapades on other threads running. Dave g:)

WREBELMACHINE
08-17-2001, 04:53 PM
I tested a hustler super z last week and was disapointed. The hustler would outrun my DIXIE CHOPPERS whith the blades turned off but it would not mowe with my DIXIE CHOPPERS! When we turned the blades on and tried to mowe at high speed that the hustler rep was saying it would do the engine would just bog and you had to slow down to I would say about 6-7 mph. to keep the blade speed up to cut.

Now if really want a fast mower check out a bladerunner. this machine would run with or outrun the hustler and it does not bog down when you start to mowe with it!

By the way has anyone else test drove a bladerunner, or a bad boy!

HOWARD JONES
08-17-2001, 05:04 PM
I haven't heard of, or been able to find anything on internet about Bladerunners - are they new, do you know of a site for them?

iski3d
08-17-2001, 05:12 PM
Hey guys I just checked out excelhustler.com to check out the specs on the super z. It claims a top speed of 15 mph. It has a 25hp air cooled kawi, which if i am correct is the same block as the 23 hp, which i have on my ferris. I just cant see how the 25 horse motor would have enough power to push that heavy machine and turn the 60" deck at anywhere near 15 mph. My 23 hp 60" struggles to go about 5 mph. Just my thought. Never seen or driven one, but would like to. Oh yah, any one know how much this machine goes for?

skipwatson
08-17-2001, 05:34 PM
Wrebel,
I just looked, too, and couldn't find a single thing about Bladerunners. Curious.

T A
08-17-2001, 11:39 PM
Hey Wrebel looks like only us Missouriuns know about the BladeRunner huh,glad you found the site nice to have another experienced hand aboard.

gorrell
08-18-2001, 12:12 AM
Wrebel, I drove the "Badboy" at the Expo in Louisville and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely a copy of the DC, but better in the area of ease of service. Probably underpowered with the 27 hp on the 72" deck, but they're supposed to have a 31 hp very soon. Factory man said the 72" machine could be bought for around $8500. Pretty good value...............Lynn

gene gls
08-18-2001, 11:08 PM
I demoed a new 26 HP efi Walker this week and the rep had a "Bad Boy" on his trailer. I was late so I missed the Bad Boy demo but to me it looks a lot like the big Ferris IS unit. The rep said it was intoduced for the first time at the Expo. Its a big machine.

Gene