made for stopping grass build up under a mower deck. He has it under
all his Scag decks and said the difference was unbelievable until you
actually tried the product for yourself. He cleaned his decks very
good and sprayed it on every piece of metal under the shell making
sure all the crooks and corners were covered very well. The covering
sets up very hard and nothing can change the coating, he gave me
the impression it was as hard as steel and grass did not want to
adhere to it's surface.

Anyone out there ever heard of this before?

TriPLandscaping
04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I dont know how that would work. The liner has texture which would mean that the grass would stick. The same problem with lining a snow plow

Midwest Lawn Services
04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Its true. I have never done it myself, but my father has worker for John Deere for 20+ years. He has seen it done before, but recommends doing it on new decks, because its hard to COMPLETELY clean a used deck. Grass still sticks to them, but it is decreased. Should you need to access the nuts under the deck, truck bed liner would make it a real challenge. Make sure your spindles are sealed VERY WELL before attemptting it! Good luck!

puppypaws
04-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I dont know how that would work. The liner has texture which would mean that the grass would stick. The same problem with lining a snow plowWhat you are saying is exactly
what I was thinking. The only bedliner spray I have ever seen is porous
and rough, I am going to talk with him in a little more detail about what
has been mentioned here.

ChadsLawn
04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Why not just use fluid film?

puppypaws
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Why not just use fluid film?I have used Fluid Film and it works good but wears off, this guy says this stuff
never changes.

TriPLandscaping
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Most liners are textured. Which technically would make things stick.

ChadsLawn
04-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont think bed liner would work too well. Its textured and I would assume it would grab the grass...Plus I think it would interupt a good air flow it being textured.

IN2MOWN
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Spray cooking oil. No point in adding weight to the deck even if its just a pound or two.

TriPLandscaping
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
what chad said

haybaler
04-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I think this guy is playing a trick on us to see if anyones that gullable on here. I used Fluid film for the first time today, OMG I love the smell of it. Seems to lubricate good, can't say how long it last yet. I went a little nuts with it. Sprayed all my door hinges on my trucks and just about every moving part on all 3 of my mowers. I plan on spraying it under the decks tomorrow. i need to start buying it by the gallon

puppypaws
04-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I think this guy is playing a trick on us to see if anyones that gullable on here. I used Fluid film for the first time today, OMG I love the smell of it. Seems to lubricate good, can't say how long it last yet. I went a little nuts with it. Sprayed all my door hinges on my trucks and just about every moving part on all 3 of my mowers. I plan on spraying it under the decks tomorrow. i need to start buying it by the gallonI have used Fluid Film for a lot of different applications and it is a wonderful product but this boy did not make this up. I will call him tomorrow and ask precise questions about this.

puppypaws
04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
I was told today by a young man that does full line mechanic work
on all brands of mowers and also has 3 Scags running full time some
information I thought very interesting. His father owns a NAPA parts
store and has a bedliner spray he said worked better than anything
made for stopping grass build up under a mower deck. He has it under
all his Scag decks and said the difference was unbelievable until you
actually tried the product for yourself. He cleaned his decks very
good and sprayed it on every piece of metal under the shell making
sure all the crooks and corners were covered very well. The covering
sets up very hard and nothing can change the coating, he gave me
the impression it was as hard as steel and grass did not want to
adhere to it's surface.

Anyone out there ever heard of this before?I talk with the gentleman this morning and the impression he gave me today was not how I heard it yesterday. I pinned him down this time and he said he had sprayed this product on around 50 or more mower decks and it was more for protection and strengthening the decks of home owner ztr's than preventing grass build up on commercial mowers. He said it would help and it was much easier to clean but it really protected the thinner metal on the home owners decks from rusting. I said from the way you are talking it seems it is not necessary to use this on heavy metal commercial decks. He then said I use it on my Scag's for the protection and ease of cleaning. So this is the rest of the story, I'll swear if you get the whole truth out of somebody you better ask exact specific questions or you may come away with an entirely different opinion.

THRIFTY
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Spray silicone spray under your deck and it will not stick at all.....

bohiaa
04-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Most liners are textured. Which technically would make things stick.

NOT TRUE.....

that's why intake's are textured. so it wont stick

steve45
04-20-2007, 08:05 PM
There are coatings that may help, but they are rather expensive. Some of the anti-corrosive coatings for pipes, etc. may help. One product I looked at was EnduroBond (www.endurobond.com). It's not something you can put on yourself.

gibsonsg311
04-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I know some of the Spray bedliners come in different textures. So if the texture helps the roughest one will keep it the cleanest.

JayD
04-20-2007, 10:58 PM
What about WD40 ? Anyone try this?

Mic_bug
04-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I have good luck with oams spray cooking oil

ojpent
04-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I spray all my equipments decks with Mowdeck, keeps them cleanier than any other thing I have ever used.. and over time when you clean under your deck and respray the mowdeck it builds up any even protects the deck from corrosion...

WJW Lawn
04-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Just buy some fluid film and be done! Cooking spray will work if you are cooking eggs...fluid film protects and keeps it unclogged.

TeeBox
04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Fluid Film!

jameson
04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Why not just use fluid film?

FF does not keep wet grass from sticking to your deck, it does, however make cleaning the wet grass off easier.

jameson
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I used Fluid film for the first time today, OMG I love the smell of it.

Funny, one of my employees thinks it smells of cat pizz. To each their own.

treemonkey
04-22-2007, 06:53 PM
How many of you pro's clean your deck after each mowing and/or end of day?

And, what percentage of you (do you estimate) use some type of coating?

Just curious - I just received our first ZTR to do grounds maint. at my workplace and want to start out right. Thanks for any opinions.

Grits
04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
A while back I got the free sample of Fluid Film. Sprayed it under the deck. Was NOT impressed. I didn't notice any difference between a sprayed deck and a deck that wasn't sprayed. Everyone says how good Fluid Film is, but I just do not agree. It stinks, and it leaves a residue that causes debris to stick. I have sprayed it on bare metal, and it does protect it...possibly forever, IF you just let the metal sit and do not use it for anything. To each his own.

ed2hess
04-22-2007, 08:22 PM
How many of you pro's clean your deck after each mowing and/or end of day?

And, what percentage of you (do you estimate) use some type of coating?

Just curious - I just received our first ZTR to do grounds maint. at my workplace and want to start out right. Thanks for any opinions.
I would guess our decks get cleaned maybe 10 times a year and we mulch with plate over outlet year round. I cut with several units last week in rain and some on rye grass, now tell me where I am going to clean off those deck without making a darn big mess:confused: The decks will clean up real fast in dry conditions....or that is my experience. And I can NOT image fluid film or any cooking oil or coating keeping wet rye grass from sticking under a deck....sorry fluid guy your product is real good but not for under the deck.

treemonkey
04-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I spent the last 3 hours here searching non-stick deck coatings. Mo-deck, Pam, Fluid film, graphite paint, diesal oil, truck bed liner, WD-40,silicone.

ALL seem to have a love/hate use record. Some get good to better results with ANY one of the products - same products are considered USELESS by others.

Pam seems to have the fewest inconsistencies regarding success. Someone (Pam hater) please chime in now! Figure if I hit a mole, I can have it butter flavored for lunch.

I have a NEW Exmark HP sitting in the garage just waiting to get dirty - once I determine the best "non-stick coating". Time is running out, and I believe ther is no miracle product (except maybe them space age Meg Mo blades) to save my new mower from it's destiny - but, damn, it looks so nice right now.

Maybe I can store it for a year and just admire it. No, tommorrow it will lose its mowing virginity - hey, there's an idea....Astro-glide is very slippery, so I'm told.........

JayD
04-22-2007, 10:29 PM
If it is NEW, why not try using a car srpay-on wax ? Just a thought!
If you try it and it works, please let us all know OK. Thanks.

greenerman
04-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Try Rain X spray, works great!:canadaflag:

desii
04-30-2007, 12:45 AM
I, too, tried Fluid Film and didn't see a great improvement. However, I use it on everything else and ALWAYS have a can near by. Since last fall, I am a Fluid Film addict.

As far as grass not sticking to decks, my dealer recommended EZ-Slide. It's a Graphite Base Coating. You can buy it by the can, but I bought a gallon because I have several machines that I would like to use it on. I have not applied it yet, but hope to in the near future. If anyone else has ever used it, please let me know. I think it is applied (standard) on Kubota machines, but I'm not sure.

You can find a description of it here:

http://www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm

It looks like it is also available at Tractor Supply stores.

mulligant
04-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I recently applied slip plate no. 1 graphite lubricant (www.slipplate.com) to my Hustler XR7 deck. I must say that I am impressed with the product. I paid $22 for a quart from my dealer and it was enough to coat the underside of my 60" deck with two coats and my push mower with one. I mowed in the rain on Saturday. When I finished there was build up, but I sprayed the underside of the deck with the water hose and it looks like I just applied the slip plate. Excellent product and I believe that if more people try this product they will eventually switch to it. I have also heard that slip plate only has to be applied once per year (depending upon number of hours per year).

Meg-Mo
04-30-2007, 03:34 PM
The MEG MO blades do a very good job of keeping decks clean. We are in the mowing business and have not clean our decks for the last 10 yrs.

ed2hess
04-30-2007, 06:58 PM
The MEG MO blades do a very good job of keeping decks clean. We are in the mowing business and have not clean our decks for the last 10 yrs.

Is that because Meg Mo don't operate in the rain.....I would think they would be a huge load when things are wet?

Meg-Mo
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
The MEG MO blades will mow with out any lumps or clumps wet or dry. I do not make my guys mow when it is raining but go back just as it quits.

LawnMower
05-01-2007, 08:48 AM
What I do is scrape the underside of the deck with a wide scraper. That's the way all the old timers did it, and it works better then anything. I change my blades a lot and clean the underside of the deck then.

If I get a soft build up because of wet grass, i run the mower up on one side of the off ramp of the trailer. I get down, and dig out the soft packed grass with my hands.

Meg-Mo
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
This is another thing the MEG MO blades do for you. They will stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer and we have not had to clean the decks on our mowers for the last 10 years. The blades will out 3 or 4 sets off the old style blades that most people use today so it makes the MEG MO blades less expensive than those blades.

ed2hess
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
This is another thing the MEG MO blades do for you. They will stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer and we have not had to clean the decks on our mowers for the last 10 years. The blades will out 3 or 4 sets off the old style blades that most people use today so it makes the MEG MO blades less expensive than those blades.

What about the load of these blades compared to a wavy mulch blade? And will they work with the mulch exit plate on the machine.....will stuff drop down or just stay on top of the blades?

Meg-Mo
05-02-2007, 05:38 PM
The MEG-MO Blades will do a 20 to 30% better job than most mulching blades. We can do a better job with the deck open to allow for discharge. The grass does not stay above the MEG-MO Blades. Yes, we are only satisfying 99.6% of the customers we have. We get a person once in awhile who has a problem with the MEG-MO Blades but we will work with anyone to take care of any problems.

ed2hess
05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
The MEG-MO Blades will do a 20 to 30% better job than most mulching blades. We can do a better job with the deck open to allow for discharge. The grass does not stay above the MEG-MO Blades. Yes, we are only satisfying 99.6% of the customers we have. We get a person once in awhile who has a problem with the MEG-MO Blades but we will work with anyone to take care of any problems.

In tight urban small properties we can't discharge anything so we have to keep our outlet closed so these probably won't work?

BobCat#1
05-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Burnt Moter Oil

Meg-Mo
05-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes the MEG MO blades will work but like we said they just do a better job with the deck open.