PDA

View Full Version : Dandelions

rcreech
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
I have only been in the biz for three years (I know....still a rookie), but every year I get calls about now from customers with some dandelions. I don't use and broadleaf control in the first round due to the colder weather and poor control. Do any of you go out for broadleaves on round 1? How do you respond to your customers if they will not have a broadleaf application for several weeks?

Thanks,

RC

tremor
04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Tell them the truth. Herbicides only work on actively growing weeds.

That aside, you might be able to start spraying earlier than you think. Ester herbicides like NuFarm's Cool Power increase your application window.

Organosilicone surfactants might increase efficacy under less-than-ideal conditions.

Old schoolers sometimes add ammonium sulfate to their herbicides to increase cool weather performance.

LwnmwrMan22
04-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I tell them that I'm the professional, that I'm the ones that's been licensed, trained.

I COULD spray them now, but I will offer no guarantee. If they want it sprayed then, okay.... but I'm pretty sure I'll be spraying it again.

If they allow me to wait until it's time, then I'll guarantee it.

Also, I inform them that if they would have allowed me to spray the previous fall, right after the first hard freeze, that they would have had less than a hand-full of dandelions this spring.

Education of the customer is the most important thing.

LindblomRJ
04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Education of the customer is the most important thing.

Thats the God's honest truth right there.

Grandview
04-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Start doing a fall application for broad leaf weeds. This eliminates any blooming dandelions in the spring.

M.C.L.C.
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Speedzone works great here in ks in the spring, the label actually has 2 listings as far as oz per gal goes...one for cool weather and one for warm

americanlawn
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
In Ohio, mid to late April would be the earliest for broadleaf weed control.

Inform your customers of this.

For your customers that call regarding broadleaf weeds, just pull their route card, and put them at the top of the list.

You have a very fine land-grant university in Ohio. Use it whenever you can.