PDA

View Full Version : Personal responsibility

DanaMac
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
SprinklerGuy and myself have each had an incident this season where we replaced an 825y RP due to freeze damage, and they already froze and cracked it because they didn't drain it. In my case, we replaced it mid-March because he called us to do it. We then showed him how to drain it properly. He had to leave before we were done checking zones (2 were frozen and wouldn't push any water through) and he said he'd drain it, which he did. He then turned it back on when it warmed up, and even called us saying it was leaking. Sure enough it was just a bolt on the front place was loose. So we fixed and re-checked the two frozen zones.

He then calls a week or so later after the latest cold snap saying it cracked and is our fault. All his friends say it is our fault not his. He even talked with a home inspector who said it should have never been turned on until May 1st. He wants us to buy the part and show him how to replace the thing - for free. Luckily I haven't had to deal with him as this is actually a customer for a landscaper that I do a ton of work for. The landscaper is backing me up and telling him too bad.

So what ever happened to personal responsibility? This guy called wanting the job done. He even turned it back on a second time himself and never drained it like we showed him. We can not wait until May 1 to turn every system on. We do a little bit of delaying some start ups based on knowing the client - numerous freeze damage repairs in the past, older people that are scared to touch the system, disabled, etc. And it was 70 degrees early March, when this guy called wanting it fixed. But if your going to have a sprinkler system in a cold weather climate, you need to take some responsibility when the weather turns, other wise move into a townhome complex where everything is taken care of. It's not my job to babysit or hand hold every customer.

Ground Master
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
He took the chance and he lost.

Don't back down.

Next time he will call saying the system overthrew water onto the sidewalk, which then froze, and then his neighbor slipped and broke a leg while on their morning walk and he wants you to pay the bill.

Ground Master
04-20-2007, 09:24 AM
The home inspector and May 1st is a freaking riot. Why May 1st? Are the gods smiling on us once May 1st cometh? What a freaking moron!

DanaMac
04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I've had bonnets in upper Peregrine freeze after May 15th, so I hear ya.

Home inspectors are clueless :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
04-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Anyone ever try insulating/heating for the vulnerable BPs? Too bad there aren't warning labels on sprinkler systems like the ones you see on ladders.

SprinklerGuy
04-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Ha Ha Ha......ty.

I haven't dealt w/ my client yet, but I know she is going to be a PITA....

sigh...

Hank Reardon
04-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Given the details, I wouldn't do it. We all make stupid mistakes in our lives which shouldn't be rewarded (be it personal or business). The Big Box Store return policies have given less-than-honorable customers the idea they can pull this crap everywhere.

Personal responsibility is a waning attribute in our society.

MarcSmith
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
The Irr. Dept at TGLC when requested for an early turn on (here in dc March is early) they prop manager would sign a waiver absolving us any freeze damage if the system is turned on early.

Of course there are some were would roll the dice , and cross out fingers and play with the rosary beads. as you a re correct, there is no way to turn all the systems, and any winter damage repairs, al at the same time.

Stick to your guns. and replace only if paid. and Id consider Cash, that way he can't stop the charge on a check or credit card.

DanaMac
04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Ha Ha Ha......ty.

I haven't dealt w/ my client yet, but I know she is going to be a PITA....

sigh...

Hee Hee..... i knew you'd get what I meant.
Sorry guys, inside joke there.

PurpHaze
04-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Too bad there aren't warning labels on sprinkler systems like the ones you see on ladders.

So who stands on sprinklers or backflows??? :p

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2007, 07:12 AM
FWIW, Dana and Tony, we had the same weather here that you did there, just plus a few degrees. Green grass wasn't an option in March w/o water. Our buisness is SERVICE. If he had called you to drain it for him, would you have? at your regular rates, of course? He didn't call, he didn't do it himself. Now he needs to pony up and pay the price for not taking care of his investment. We had weather here just 2 weeks ago that would have done in an RP or PVB. It is possible to see that kind of weather in May too. If you feel sorry for th customer, you might compromise on the labor, but the parts at full mark up are his responsibility.

MarcSmith
04-22-2007, 07:35 AM
So who stands on sprinklers or backflows??? :p

You really don't want me to answer that do ya...

I have a bunch of juvenile f-ing delinquents for clients.... About 6K of em....

DanaMac
04-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Our buisness is SERVICE. If he had called you to drain it for him, would you have? at your regular rates, of course?

If they had called I would have done it, or walked him through it over the phone. I had even called about 30-40 customers before that cold spell, warning them to shut down and drain. I didn't with this guy because we made it VERY clear to him the first time that things can still freeze.

PurpHaze
04-22-2007, 10:33 AM
You really don't want me to answer that do ya...

I have a bunch of juvenile f-ing delinquents for clients.... About 6K of em....

LOL... And that's prolly only your frosh class. :laugh:

Our backflows are generally located inside a locked fence enclosure and then have a chain/lock through the valve handles that only a select few in the district have keys to. (This one is sans chain/lock because we were working in the area.)

MarcSmith
04-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Some of my back flows are out in the open, with booster pumps, but they are in steel enclosures. but they doesn't mean they don't TRY to get into them.

If I know there are going to be lots of parties I will shut the the clocks down as I know when some drunk kids are wandering around campus with large rotors running. It like their version of Kick the can....

We have about 10K total students Is usally the rotten few that make it hard on everyone....

It will be nice once I get Maxicom up and running I wont have to go to each and every clock.....I can doit from Home or office...

PurpHaze
04-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm jealous that you're getting a central control system. Try 120 controllers spread out over approximately 40 sites as that's what we deal with. :)

Remote Pigtails
04-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm jealous that you're getting a central control system. Try 120 controllers spread out over approximately 40 sites as that's what we deal with. :)

I think the Richardson isd here is doing something similar to this. I've noticed new controllers everywhere with what looks like a hunter freeze sensor on the top.

PurpHaze
04-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Being in the "arid Southwest" I believe that all states should have a law requiring that large systems have central controls with rain/freeze/solar radiation, etc. sensors as a minimum. It started raining last night here and is still going strong this morning. However, I'd bet that better than 50% of our controllers watered last night... basically wasting a valuable resource.