PDA

View Full Version : Cushman wheels not turning

Kona74
04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Hello, I have a cushman 3 wheel turf truckster and yesterday when I went to drive it nothing happened. The driveshaft was spinning but I had nothing to the wheels. When I opened the rear up I saw that the ring gear is turning like it should and when i turn the axle by hand the smaller gears are working fine but when I spin the driveshaft the tires wont turn. I found no broken metal pieces in the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Restrorob
04-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Sheard wheel hub key/Splines ?

Kona74
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I pulled the axles out, no damage to the them, splines look good. I stuck the axle back in and while turning the driveshaft I can hold the axle end with my hand and stop it from turning... I shouldnt be able to do that right?

Restrorob
04-20-2007, 08:05 PM
while turning the driveshaft I can hold the axle end with my hand and stop it from turning

Yes you should be able to stop it from moving.
When you did this did the other axle start turning ? Which is what should have happened.

There is no logic to the problem you are having.

You have a pinion gear (input shaft gear) that rotates the carrier assembly via the ring gear. As the carrier assembly rotates it rotates the spider gears inside which transfers the rotation to the axle gears which spins only one tire unless it's a posi-lock differential.

If the unit spins the drive shaft but the unit wont move there has to be a stripped gear inside somewhere.Take a flashlight and look to the back of the case at the pinion gear, It could be stripped enough to slip under load but not when being spun by hand.

Buckshot06
04-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Check the spider gears and splines on the axle shaft. If both look good and the ring is spinning when the driveshaft is rotated your overlooking something. Ring spins then the only things after that are spiders and axles.