PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go?

Lawn-Scapes
08-02-2001, 09:25 PM
Wealthy nieghborhood with the potential to double what could be made locally....

What's the furthest you'ld travel to target that business?

Curious...

Eric ELM
08-02-2001, 09:32 PM
I drive 8 miles to where I work. The homes are much bigger and so are the lawns. ;)

If I had to, I would drive a 1/2 hour one way to get nicer accounts.

wallzwallz
08-02-2001, 10:16 PM
I do drive 1/2 hr each way for my better accounts,but it is worth it. Just try to line up enough work to make a day out of it at the higher rate, should cover costs nicely.Also the better client has more non-mowingwork, pruning,edging,etc. so I fill Mondays + Tuesdays w/ these + have winter work 3-4 days a week, pruning ocean view + brush mowing.Would i drive any farther? prefer not to.

Bob_McNaughton
08-03-2001, 12:14 AM
I live in a nice area, but the lawns are small, and nobody has sprinker systems. - so they dry out mid-summer..

So I am mowing 1-2 days a week in my area. Then the rest of the week I am driving 25 minutes north to a uber rich area where the lawns are bigger, everyone has sprinkler systems, and people are picky and want professionals.

Thats my plan at least..

Esby
08-03-2001, 12:32 AM
In my area I find that the "good" accounts are all lying in a 6 mile radius of my shop. So I guess I do drive a little, but not to one particular area. I find some of my nicest accounts are right near my house. If there was a better region with in 35 min drive time, in which I could land some good accounts, you can count on it that I would be drving there.

joshua
08-03-2001, 02:28 AM
this is tough, ok true story, my aunt wanted me to start taking care of her lawn 2 years ago and i said i would, only thing is is that its 35 mins away from my house ( not close to any part of any of my routes). so i started to take car of her lawn, then her neighbor wanted me to do his as well. so now i'm driving 35 mins for $55 total time with driving is 2hours. not good i know. so last year my aunt moved to a bigger house 1.5 acres now its worth it with the 2 (only 5 mins away). so we're cutting my aunts house and a lady stopped and wanted a estimate, i said no to my father who was with me but he insisted that we go. so we went to look at it and the lawn was in great but bad shape with lumps everywhere ( cut 4 days prior and it was high already). so i was thinking yea we could do this every 6 days with the other 2 on the route, so i bidded her at $35 and she took it, then she asks if we do any landscaping, and we said yes. well to make a long story short we landscaped the front of her house last year (5.5k) and did the back this year (another 5.5k), mulched her neibors house this year ( 2k) and take care her one of her friends fathers house.
ok now to explain all of this, if i didn't take those drives to my aunts house and try to expand to another city way out of my way i wouldn't of did those sales that i said above and wouldn't of got my name out to a very rich part of that city.
it was worth the risk of paying a guy a hour to sit in my truck on the drive out and back. i had the extra time to do it then, if i had to go out their now and do just my aunts house i don't know if i would do it.

bubble boy
08-03-2001, 09:03 AM
Bob-how do you know where your customers will come from?

you may find, as i did, they can come from the unlikeliest of places. I have two days of cutting in the city, 15 km south of where i thought i would be.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-03-2001, 01:40 PM
I have one that is so far away that we leave the equipment there to mow it

It's about 35 - 40 min each way from the nearest account

It takes about 3 hrs round trip and he pays $350 a week to cut

I left my old Dixie, weed eater, blower, and push mower out there

The sad part is I leave that out there He said he would buy what I need to do the job
But I couldn't use them to do the other jobs I picked up in the last couple of weeks

Now we don't leave the equipment out there any more and have almost a full day there and now can use the mower for the rest of the week

These places are the best Missouri river bluff views in St. Louis

Any ways who would pay 17 million for a house itís beyond me

LGF:blob1:

Lawn-Scapes
08-03-2001, 08:06 PM
I appreciate the feedback...

It seems everyone agrees on 30 minutes. I am thinking about a 60-75 minute drive.

Is that insane?

I think it could be a $35/hr vs. $75/hr difference...

TLS
08-03-2001, 08:20 PM
TSG,

Thats too far. I can be anywhere in eastern Maryland in 2hrs. Would I like to mow there?>....Heck NO!! Stay close. You may have to look for it, but customers are everywhere. If you want to drive that far, so is everyone else! It would be too much competition it that "special" area. The key to a smooth, money-making business is STREAMLINING..~~!!

crazygator
08-04-2001, 12:35 AM
Remember time is money. Is the amount you will be paid that much more? I mean with the cost of your time, truck, gas, insurance and added risk, etc... Always check your bottom line, if you dont know what it is then its too far. I would drive 30-45 but only if all the numbers worked out. Will never do it for a single account, unless the pay is so crazy that it would be stupid not to. I hope you get it worked out. :dizzy:

awm
08-07-2001, 05:56 PM
crazy gator is right ,if the profit is there to cover travel and work ill go most anywhere. of course at this time i have room on my schedual.

lawnboy82
08-07-2001, 08:41 PM
i drive about 30 minutes give or take to my nicer accounts. its 20 miles of backroads driving mainly. i got them because: i had a friend who lived about 25 minutes from my house. started cutting there and they moved to this place. rented this place, i got the neighbor's house. they moved again and i kept the neighbor. got the house back this year, did a 7K landscaping job there, and am waiting on another job there this fall with a price tag of over 10K i got another couple of jobs over there too. good references, etc. that area is very rich. or at least the town is. the big place i do over there is 1.3 mil. i also got the new place that my friend lives at. so i got my name out there in a very well to do area, and so what if i drive for it.

HBFOXJr
08-07-2001, 08:51 PM
You gotta get the same money to drive as to work. If driving excess minutes and miles prices you out of the ball park you are going to far. Simple, isn't it.

Chopper Lover
08-07-2001, 10:35 PM
I drive about 40 minutes to my first job and work my way back home... I mow 5 lawns (about 10 acres total) that are less than 2 miles apart from each other (only 3 moves) and I bill for a total of $357.50. My trip home is about 25 minutes.

That still comes out to around 30 minutes, give or take a few....

Mark

PS. The discrepency in time/miles is because of the locations of the first account and the last account. The first account is kinda off the beaten path. Following a few back streets puts me at the last account, which is on a main road that leads back to me house....