PDA

View Full Version : JD walk behind blade brake

daveopam
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Sorry if this has been covered. I am new here. I did do a search on blade brake with no help.
John Deere walk behind with Kaw motor. I thought the engine was locked up. The pull cord would not budge. I remover the started clutch and noticed as I was loosening the flywheel the blade would move some. After I flipped the mower and checked the bottom end the engine would turn. So I reassembled the top end and it started right up. However it sounded awful. The blade brake or some part of it was making a squeeling sound. I tried it with and with out the blade turning and both sound bad. Worse with the blade stopped but still there with it turning.
Any thought or help? Also is this a common JD thing that all of them will do?
Thanks David

pclawncare
04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I dont exactly know what is happeneing. Has it not been run in a while or did it die? A little background would be helpful i take it is a jx75 or jx85? I dont know a whole lot about the clutches but the clutch could be going bad and it may have not been adjusted so it doesnt fully disengage. The only thing i really know about these clutches is if you wash the under side of your deck with water you will burn up your clutch and they spring under the deck is a PITA to put on and be careful when you take it off its pretty strong

daveopam
04-20-2007, 03:28 PM
It is the 75. I talked to the dealership after I posted. They seem to think it is the lower bearing. A repacement with labor is $140. I have an old one that is good for parts only. I may try to take it apart to see if it is something I can do on this one. They did not say how much was labor but I am sure it is most of the $140.

David

pclawncare
04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Ya i am sure it was probably mostly labor all i have to say is if you have never changed one your self i dont know if i would try it it is not as easy as it looks especialy the dang spring it can be a real PITA

daveopam
04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll take it down Monday and let them do it. My time is worth something so if it's a real PITA they can mess with it.
I will post when I get it back with the problem and dammages.

David

daveopam
04-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Got the mower back yesterday. Since both bearings were bad the whole clutch assembly was replaced. $159.00 with tax. The part was a little over $100 so doing the repair myself would have only saved $40.
These bearings must have been going out for a while. The unit is much quieter and smoother. No vibration.

David

PopsLawnService
04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Keep a little fluid film on those bearings. Might help.