PDA

View Full Version : promotional public speaking-some tips please!

seolatlanta
04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
I have a conference coming up on Tuesday night and am getting a chance to talk about my business for 5-7 minutes. I can do a short power point presentation if I desire. I can also leave promotional materials on each meeting table.

The monthly conference is attended by local landscapers and green industry people of all types-the heaviest of hitters here and all in between. A lot of these folks do their own lighting or already use one of my competitors for their lighting needs, but I am sure that there is plenty of room for me and my company.I also know that a lot of these companies have no idea how to do lighting as well because I do so much repair work that is installed by landscapers.

So I was thinking of doing a "top 5 lighting tips" or something like that-something that will benefit lighting as a whole industry that is to be taken seriously not just some way to take advantage of unsuspecting customers.

Any ideas about what to do instead of flat out beg for work!!

Thanks

steveparrott
04-21-2007, 10:59 AM
David,

Since you only have a few minutes, I'd like to hear about why you decided to start a company that only does lighting. Why are you so passionate about lighting? What is your experience of working with your customers? How have you met and exceeded their wants and needs. I'd want to hear about how you made your decisions on product selection, on the values that you bring to your business. Keep it real.

I'd say frame it as a short story with a beginning, middle and end. Find the common thread that extends through the past few years and how you've followed that with passion to be where you are now.

If anything gets you work from the listeners it will be their respect for your passion and the professional way you pursue it.

seolatlanta
04-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Thank you Steve-

that is a great idea- I wanted to have something with purpose and a story about myself and my company is a perfect way to get up there and have a focused plan!

Rotor_Tool
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Steve,

If you have the chance prior to your presentation, prepare some .ppt slides with photos of some of your best work. Presenting your passion along with some of your nicest properties might just get you that edge you are looking for. Confidence is key when making presentations!

NightScenes
04-21-2007, 09:44 PM
David, also bring up your association with the AOLP. It shows that you are not just looking to make a buck but you are also involved in the "industry". You take this seriously, and are involved in the nuts and bolts of it.