PDA

View Full Version : Ford Or Dodge

JClawncare
04-20-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm looking at buying either a Ford or Dodge 3/4 ton, 4x4, diesel, auto crew cab/mega cab for pulling mowing trailer and camper. New to diesel never owned one, used to gas 3/4 tons. Looking for pro's and con's on both or any major problems.

Ferdelance
04-20-2007, 08:36 PM
This topic will turn into a ford vs dodge thread. Im sure if you do a search on ford or dodge 3/4 ton truck, you will find more than enough info.

DBL
04-20-2007, 08:51 PM
i have 3 dodges and 1 ford i say go get a cummins you wont regret it but that mega cab makes no sense to me the quad cab is fine not worth the extra money for the guys sitting in the back

wriken
04-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I have both, I like the cummins better also. More power, and better fuel milage. Example, bother and I was both pulling 5th wheelers, weight was within a ton, got in the hills of Tenn, I was pushing him up the hills, and i was on cruise, another thing, same milage for both, I used 4.4 gals less then his ford. But all in all, fords are good too. Its a toss up, where you get the better deal i would say.

JClawncare
04-20-2007, 10:46 PM
DBL: I have kids and on long trips the extended cab isn't enough room.

Has anyone had any really big troubles with either?
And what are somethings to expect with diesel?

thanks

mikes landscaping
04-20-2007, 11:57 PM
My mom has a diesel ford excursion, which she drives daily. She loves it alot. My dad drives it when he towes our camper which is a 30ft tag along. Its got plenty of power and it gets decent milage. Its a 2002 with the 7.3 psd. My dad has a full four door dodge 1500 5.7 liter hemi, and its supposedly rated for towing heavy, but its a absolute dog while towing the camper. Jus filling you in on both side of the equation lol.

twj721
04-21-2007, 02:25 AM
New or used? Ford has had their share of problems but Dodge has too Fords 2008 6.4 suppose to be better than the 6.0 was but this is the 1st year of production so probably lot of bugs to be worked out , I like the over all room you have in a Ford but love the cummins think that it is a better motor right now been a round for a few years but reall do not like the cab style in a Dodge not reall enogh leg room in back seat with out getting the Mega cab and then you lose your bed space Good luck proud my wife threatened me with my life if I even mentiod new truck price of a xlt CC F250 LB was between 35000.00 to 49000.00 to rich for my blood will stick to my 2004 F250 XLT CC,LB ,57000 mile and ONLY HAD CAB OFF OF CHASSIS 1 TIME I am impressed

haybaler
04-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Dodge all the way. the Cummins is bulletproof. Ford is not a bad truck at all, but there having so many powerstroke problems. defects, supplier problems, and warranty issues. Cummins is classified as a medium duty engine and rated for 350000 miles. ford and chevy are light duty (250,000). the new 6.7L cummins comes standard with an exhaust brake also. Also dodge has the biggest cab of any truck, so lots more leg room in the back. I have a '96 dodge with 260,000 miles and could go on all day about how great the CTD is.