PDA

View Full Version : FM radio hearing protectors.

JJ Lawn
08-02-2001, 11:01 PM
I was going to start a thread about FM radio / hearing protectors. And from what I have read from other discussions that the Peltor seemed to be the preferred choice, even though they cost a lot more that other brands.

What I was really looking for was, how well do the muffs hold up to everyday wear. I use regular hearing protectors and the muffs will only last about 4-6 months before they start to crack, and the foam starts to get a little ripe smelling from the constant sweating.

And as long as I was in a searching mode I also did a Google search and found what I was looking for, so thought I would share it with ya'll. You can buy replacement hygene kit for them. (thats what I wanted to know)

And this will be good news for some of you RUSH fans, as they also have a AM model on this page. Don't think that they offer as much protection as the FM models do, but they are cheap enough.

And I think that this price for the FM model that some of you have is cheaper that what some of you paid.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Peltor.htm#worktunes

Jim

EJK2352
08-02-2001, 11:35 PM
JJ Lawn,
I have the Peltor HTRXS7A FM Stereo hearing protectors. I've had them for almost a year now and the foam is still like new. I wear them 6-8 hrs. a day. The foam also is very easy to remove & clean. If it gets really nasty it will be very easy to replace too.:) ;) :) ED

jmcooper
08-02-2001, 11:44 PM
I bought the worktunes a couple of months ago. For the money they are great. I highly recommend them if you want something not too expensive. I bought them from the link you supplied.

Eric ELM
08-02-2001, 11:53 PM
I have had the Peltor HTRXS7A for about 4 years now and I've dropped them more than once. They have held up great. My next ones will be digital tuning though since the manual tune does drift some. I can't work without them now. ;)

Lawn-Scapes
08-03-2001, 12:01 AM
Where is the "digital" unit? I don't see it on the website...

KirbysLawn
08-03-2001, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by TSG
Where is the "digital" unit? I don't see it on the website...

That is the one I own, I will look for a photo and post.
HERE, read this thread, the third from the last post shows them and I gave 2 links where they can be ordered.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=10249&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

Ssouth
08-03-2001, 01:10 AM
For those of you with the Peltor. Do they have a model that is re-chargable. I had the Elvex's that were re-chargable for over a year and one day they just quit and I can't figure out why. This was over a month ago but seems like longer. The music sure does make the day go by faster.

Also if they are all batteries how long do they last?

Thank you.

Eric ELM
08-03-2001, 01:15 AM
I don't think Peltor has a rechargable, but 2 aa batterys last for a long long time.

KirbysLawn
08-03-2001, 01:16 AM
About 2 weeks for me.

Ssouth
08-03-2001, 01:18 AM
Eric, you're to quick.

ditto Kirby.

KirbysLawn
08-03-2001, 01:20 AM
We are here to serve! :D

Grapevine
08-03-2001, 06:53 AM
I have used the Elvex rechargeable for about 4 years and couldn't imagine working without them. Had the battery ones years ago before the recharge came out, got tired of replacing batteries all the time. I even offered to buy a set for 2 employees but they prefer to listen to Ozzie and Limp Bizkit on their CD players, Howard Stern keeps me laughing all morning.

JJ Lawn
08-03-2001, 08:47 AM
I'm going to order the Select model from the link I supplied, as they are $20 cheaper that the one Kirbyslawn has.( they might make it up in freight) I would also like to get a pair of the AM ones, as I am a talk radio fan, (NO RUSH, can't stand to hear the man praise himself all the time) but am wondering about the static that will be caused from the engine ignitions systems. Anyone tried these?

The durability and being able to change out the muffs is what has sold me on a pair. And the fact that I have two areas that I mow weekly that I spend about 2.5 hrs on one and 4.0 hours on the other. Really need something to keep my mind occupied. Run out of things to think about after an hour on the mower an start getting sleepy.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

BRL
08-03-2001, 10:54 AM
SSouth,
There is a rechargeable battery in the rechargeable units. That battery probably went bad in your pair & needs to be replaced. They can only be recharged so many times & then they are no good, just like any rechargeable battery. Although it seems to me that it happened sooner than later with yours. I think the directions say they are good for around 1,000 charges.

Grapevine,
What are your employees using for hearing protection while listening to their CD players? Hopefully not standard portable equipment headphones because this is not protecting their ears & is probably causing damage. They can play their CD (or Walkman, MP3, etc) players through the rechargeble Elvex radio muffs. They just need to go to Radio Shack or similar store & buy a cord with a head phone jack on both ends. This then gets plugged into the headphone jack on the CD player & the recharge jack on the Elvex muffs.

I bought a pair of the Elvex COM 100 rechargeable muffs at the beginning of the season. They have had 3 falls, one major that I thought for sure destroyed them. Put them back together & they've been fine ever since. They can take abuse and they clean easily.

Eric ELM
08-03-2001, 11:08 AM
There have been several threads on this same topic and I've noticed more than one say, "When they put their Elvex back together after dropping them"..........

This is one thing that a Peltor doesn't do when dropped. I have not had to put any parts together after dropping the Peltors. They are very well built.

gorrell
08-03-2001, 11:34 AM
I found a headphone radio I think I'll give a try. It's the Pilot Explorer pa 21-30. I found it at www.pilotsplace.com and it has all the features I want at a very reasonable price. It has the microphone system that attenuates soft sounds and decreases loud ones. The headband can be turned to the rear so it can be worn with a hardhat and it is a rechargeable unit that weighs only 11 ozs. It's $185, quite a value for all its features. I'll keep you posted on it's performance.................Lynn

southcut
08-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Try the Husqvarna FM Stereo/ Hearing protectors. They sound great, have a limiter in them to prevent hearing damage from too loud a radio and the AA batteries last a long time. They come apart for easy cleaning and are built tough. They also have digital tuning and are water resistant in a downpour. They are a bit hot on your ears but the peace and quiet while you are cutting and listening to your favorite tunes is worth it.

14yearoldcutter
08-04-2001, 12:20 AM
Who is Rush???

Grapevine
08-04-2001, 06:27 AM
BRL, I never thought of that, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Guido
08-04-2001, 10:19 AM
Can you do me a favor??

I am seriously considering the FM headset, and I'll definetly look into the digital ones, but as you know I run heavy equipment mostly with enclosed cabs. I'm worried about picking up the signal inside there.

Would you try them in your JD tractor (if I recall it has an enclosed cab) and let me know if you can still pick up a good signal (if you haven't already tried)

Thanks in Advance!

Eric ELM
08-04-2001, 10:34 AM
They work just fine in the cab of the JD. When I used the JD for aerating, I used to leave the cab on in early March to keep warm and dry and the signal is just as good inside as outside. I let my helper use them in the winter time when we plow. They keep his ears warm and he has tunes too. :)

Guido
08-04-2001, 10:54 AM
Thanks Eric, I'm going for them!

Guido
08-04-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 14yearoldcutter
Who is Rush???

Man, I thought I was young! Rush Limbough (spelling??) He's a crusty old talk radio host! ;)

Actually pretty intresting at times.

JJ Lawn
08-04-2001, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by guido

Man, I thought I was young! Rush Limbough (spelling??) He's a crusty old talk radio host! ;)

Actually pretty intresting at times.

He could be if he did not spend so much time patting himself on the back. He spends more time praising himself and I think that the quality of his show has gone downhill. Thats just my opinion, but I never was a real big fan anyway.

My Pelters select FM radio headset should be here next week. Still debating weather I should get an AM set also. Could listen to G Gordon Liddy from 9 - 11, and when Rush come's on I could switch to FM oldies but goodies.

Jim

JJ Lawn
08-04-2001, 03:24 PM
Just thought of something,

In this day and age of electronicc gadgets, that was a heck of a lot of money to pay for a portable radio. For that kind of money I could have gone to the local stero shop and had a system installed on my Walker. Could have had one of those big base speakers shaking the the ground a I mow. Bet that would loosen up any compaction of the soil, and make a few extra bucks to boot.

Jim

KirbysLawn
08-04-2001, 03:49 PM
Yea Jim but you would soon be deaf! I paid good money for my Peltors good tunes and not much talking to myself, spend it now or later for a hearing aid and Prozac.

Guido
08-04-2001, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Yea Jim but you would soon be deaf! I paid good money for my Peltors good tunes and not much talking to myself, spend it now or later for a hearing aid and Prozac.

I had to justify this purchase to the head of the war department (Her Highness) And that was and is my arguement. Even when we're hauling with a dump truck or driving a street sweeper, we have to turn the radio up soo loud just to hear it that not only the noise from the truck, but the radio ends up hurting my ears also.

The best part is I'll be abl to listen to tunes all day at work now. We could never just play a radio at work because 1) We have hearing protection in, and 2) theres always machines or equipment going.

These should put the swing back in my step! ;)

Ray, I got the red ones (digital) that you had posted a link for.

I'll let you guy's know how they work out as soon as I get them!

SJR Lawncare
08-04-2001, 06:47 PM
I purchased the Peltor worktunes AM/FM, a couple of months ago. I bought this one because the programs I like to listen to are all on AM. Well forget it, the AM sucks & doesnt pick up the signals at all. What a waste of $$, now I'm back to listening to my sony walkman as loud as it will go.

SJR

Ssouth
08-04-2001, 07:11 PM
SJR, How does the FM work. I just ordered two pair. The sales person told me the work tunes are the same as the old FM model only with AM.

SJR Lawncare
08-04-2001, 07:18 PM
Ssouth, The FM is fine, great reception, no static, perfect. But I need AM for what I like to listen to. I wish Howard Stern was on FM around here.

SJR

Guido
08-11-2001, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by guido
Thanks Eric, I'm going for them!

Not So Great! :(

I ordered the ones Ray (Kirby) pointed us to with the digital reciever, they e-mailed me a couple of days later and told me the mfg is having some trouble with them and as soon as they get is fixed they'll start selling them again.

I e-mailed them back to see how long they estimate it will be, but no reply yet. I'll probobly hold out and wait tilll they get the bugs out.

JJ Lawn
09-25-2001, 09:02 PM
I finally got mine in. I got the MRX7A. Man they are great. Takes a few minutes to figure out the controls. But they are worth every penny.

I especially like the control to turn off an on the outside noise. These are really great. And the other plus is that I can get a cord to plug in my Sony AM Walkman.

The best of both worlds.

Jim

Disclaimer: Who ever reads the manual? :)

Runner
09-25-2001, 09:19 PM
If these have a jack for your Sony Walkman AM, then would a regular like Sony CD player plug into them as well?

JJ Lawn
09-25-2001, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Runner
If these have a jack for your Sony Walkman AM, then would a regular like Sony CD player plug into them as well?

The manual shows:

Connection cords for audio input.

3.5 mm mono plug
2.5 mm mono plug
3.5 mm stereo plug for Micman comm radio

Depending on what size plug the Sony CD player has I would think the the 3.5 stereo plug would work. So far I am not having much luck finding a supplier for these on the internet, but have only just started.

Am going to stop a Radio shack in the AM and see what they have.

Jim

Greenkeepers
09-25-2001, 10:44 PM
Boy thanks all,,

I havn't been on here for a couple months since going full time and boy do I miss it. I've been thinking about getting some headgear and now you guys have made me want to do it.

Thanks

AltaLawnCare
09-26-2001, 02:18 PM
Just curious, aren't those things very hot and uncomfortable in the hot summer days???

My ears used to sweat like crazy under my el cheapo headset. Now I use the disposable throw aways, they are the most comfortable by far.

Guido
09-26-2001, 04:54 PM
I got mine in last week. The red digital ones Ray was talking about earlier.

They work AWESOME!!! Like someone else in this thread said, it took me a few times to figure out the controls (because I was too stuborn to read the directions right fromt he start). I was pissed at first because the outside news was turned up sooo loud I could barely here the radio, and the engine on my loader was making a serious whining noise inside. Well once I figured out you can adjust the volume on the outside noise as well,I was in heaven!!

They are soo great, I have tunes all the time now and I can still be aware of whats going on around me.

Its really a safety feature inside a safety feature. Haven't tried to plug my CD player into it yet. I probobly will this winter while plowing. We'll see.

I'd reccomed the digital set I got to anyone!!

MowersAhead
09-26-2001, 05:47 PM
We have been using cobra family band radios,
I know this set up has saved me a lot of aggavation,
becuse I dont have to stop what Im doing to talk with my co workeres,
They say the range is two miles, but around here its more like 1/4-1/2 mile (Lots of trees and moutains)
They have a digital fm band and a charger that you can use with the cigrette lighter.
We havent had any problems or had to buy batteries all year, and since they charge quick we just put them in there craddle in between jobs, (they have never gone dead)
I use the peltor head phones with external jack that plugs into the radio.
My co-worker modified his still headgear with some old headphones.
Anyway it works really well for us.

Cobra has a web site where you can purchase on line, Im not sure of the address,

JJ Lawn
09-27-2001, 10:48 AM
Update on the Peltor connection cords for audio input.

Connection cords for audio input.

3.5 mm mono plug
2.5 mm mono plug
3.5 mm stereo plug for Micman comm radio

Just got off the phone with Peltor Customer Service as to where to get these from.

Gwen (from Peltor) told me that you can order them from Brock Sales, talk to Dan at 1-813-662-2251.

He does not have these in stock but his is placeing an order for them as he is getting several requests for them. And Peltor just gave the OK to start selling them. They will not be cheap though. Will cost about $32.

I went to Radio Shack and they do not have anything close to match up to the plug in the headset, And I don't really want to void warranty nor mickey mouse a wire job. So I ordered mine.

Jim

JJ Lawn
10-15-2001, 07:22 PM
Another update on the Peltor Stereo headset.

I just recieved the stereo plug so you can hook up a walkman, Am radio or whatever to the plug on the headset.

This is really great. When you turn on the Walkman, it automatically overrides whatever station you were listening to. So all you hear is the walkman/AM radio. You use the controls for the Walkman to control volume, etc.

Good quality, heavy duty cord, so it should last a long time. Was a little expensive ($33.82, including shipping) but well worth it in my opinion.

If you paid that much money for a Peltor, then this is an option that you should also get, doubles the value of the Headset.

You can order them from:

Brock Sales Company
Brandon, FL

1 813-662-2251

brocksalesco@aol.com

Jim

Disclaimer: Just a satisfied customer, have no ties to company.

snuckley
11-02-2001, 09:13 AM
I use the Peltor HT 7A stereo phones which have a stereo mini plug(no adaptors needed) that plugs into Walkman type devices as well as MP3 players and other harddrive type devices(they have $250 things as big as a cassette tape that hold 50+ CDs of music). They are comfortable and simple to use. Self powered. No real good radio signals near me so I use a Sports type CD player in the sports fanny holder that came with it. That way when I jump on and off equipt everything goes with me. sports cd players with at least 20seconds of anti-skip have worked great.Got the phones at Gemplers .com for somewhere around $100. About 1 1/2 years old now and going strong , I expect the cord/plug to fail first like most headphones. The noise protection is great sound quality good and comfortable.....Save your ears

fireball
11-02-2001, 10:54 AM
try these out www.nctgroupinc.com

noise busters

I can't hear you

LAWNS AND MOWER
11-02-2001, 12:46 PM
A buddy of mine turned me on to Radio Shack Racing Headphones. I plugged them into a portable CD player. It's great in that it blocks out all outside noise but could be dangerous when your engine is getting ready to blow and you have no clue!!!!! After awhile you learn to watch for strange vibrations from the mower.

LAWNS AND MOWER