PDA

View Full Version : 23 kohler not charging!?

sailinstud420
04-20-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a 23 kohler (CV23S) Spec no 75559 that is not charging properly. I get about one lawn done and the battery is too shot to start the blades up again.

Obviously its a charging issue. I am not showing more than about 12.5 volts dc on the battery. New battery and I have already replaced the regulator.

What tests can I do to determine if it is the stator that is bad? I remember showing about 30 volts ac on the middle (blue?) wire, when I had one lead on a white and one on the blue. I have dissassembled the mower (flywheel is off) and I was just thinking I should have checked the white wires with the meter grounded on the other end! Its too late for that though.

Since I don't want to put it back together to test this, how much does a stator cost me? I think I am willing to just pick one up and take my chances.

Any other help/insights would be appreciated.

If you really want to help me I will give you my phone number and you can call me and talk to me about it.

Thanks

ChadsLawn
04-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I had to take mine off anf take it to a dealer and have them test it.

Restrorob
04-20-2007, 10:21 PM
You can perform the two test below with the flywheel off and regulator un-plugged.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/CVTwinStatorTest.jpg

sailinstud420
04-21-2007, 02:44 AM
With an ohmeter I show 0 across the leads (two white wires, correct?) I think that must be my problem. Correct me if I am wrong. I do not show a short to ground.

Anything specific that causes these things to fail anyways? perhaps heat? additional load of a masterchute?

Where did you find those instructions?

How many amps do these systems put out, just curious.

Thanks for the help.

ChadsLawn
04-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks Rob... I forgot all about that.. Remember last year I had the same problem..

Restrorob
04-21-2007, 07:11 AM
1) 0 across the leads (two white wires) shows the stator as open and bad.

2) Any number of things can cause a stator to go bad.

3) From a service manual.

4) The stator can put out 28 volts AC or more and the voltage regulator changes the AC voltage to DC voltage, Then at the battery the system puts out from 13 to 14.7 DC volts depending on condition of the battery and system draw.

sailinstud420
04-21-2007, 10:21 PM
that did the trick. thanks for the help.

Is there a way that I can gain access to the service manuals online, or is that reserved for top notch mechanics such as yourself?

pugs
04-22-2007, 11:33 AM
www.kohlerplus.com

Hit the "Enter as Guest" button.

Look up parts, look at service manuals in PDF files...all kinds of fun stuff.

Although the looking up parts part leaves something to be desired. Alot of it only shows lists without pictures. I feel like I am back in the days of "Preliminary Parts Lists" on the fiche :dizzy:

Restrorob
04-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Although the looking up parts part leaves something to be desired.

I agree pugs, I have started using this site for my parts look-up;

http://www.sohars.com/partsf2.asp

They show everything....

sailinstud420
04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
yeah that site is lacking. I am looking for a good source for new muffler now, the baffle/spark arrestor seems to have blown out, its super loud now. Any good ideas on where to get one? the dealer is 3-4 days out and prob costs an arm and a leg.

Restrorob
04-23-2007, 08:03 AM
I checked Small engine warehouse but they have none at this time, Did find one here; http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.org/home.asp but WOW $155.68.....I can buy a COMPLETE Dynomax performance exhaust system for my Jeep for $167.00 :dizzy: