PDA

View Full Version : Palms

BIGJIMBEEM
04-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I am wondering about yellowing of the leaves on a windmill palm, and i also have i believe a sergio palm that the leaves are discolored from yellow to some being white in some spots. was just wondering if there was anything i need to do in order bring them back to there natural coloring/ healthy status. fertilization??? if so what

justanotherlawnguy
04-21-2007, 12:53 AM
a lot of times it is a manganese deficiency, even if you fertilize the tree it will only help with new growth not the existing yellowing fronds....

BIGJIMBEEM
04-22-2007, 12:21 PM
so u recommend putting magnesium of them and trimiming some of the older stalks, I thought maybe somefetrilizer high in nitrogen might help to help green them up but maybe That might hurt more then help

Focal Point Landscapes
04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Palms need trace elements like copper and manganese that are not in the soil or fertilizer in our state - all garden centers in Florida sell palm special fertilizer but I haven't seen it in Ga .You can buy - it online and Jobes makes a palm fertilizer stake that you drive into the ground for time release - don't just increase the nitrogen -yellow foliage can also be caused by too much nitrogen . As a short term treatment , you can use epsom salt , should help some. Drill holes around the drip line of the canopy , but I can't recall the amount per inch of trunk - thats why I like the stakes.