PDA

View Full Version : Getting "onion weeds" out of garden beds?

Ramairfreak98ss
04-21-2007, 02:16 AM
One of my jobs i did last year seems to have tons of those onion weeds still popping up. They were there to begin with, most soils got tilled up and of course theyre still there now after plant installs and full 3" mulching. I think the problem is, even when I weed them, they come back fast because you never get the FULL bulb part out of the ground buried deep.. These seem to be a big persisent problem in a lot of my jobs now in beds and in the lawns.

Most herbicide post-emergent sprays say they’re ideally used for broadleaf weed control. What is the onion weed thing im looking at classified as? What would kill them out even if its at least half of them from coming back up again? Thanks

Dale Mcafee
04-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Love to here a anser to that I have the same problem thanks .

DaughtryLC
04-21-2007, 02:27 AM
2-4d, thats the only why I can get rid of them. Use the SPOT SPRAY RATE on the label and you need a surfactant. Hope this helps!

n-green
04-21-2007, 05:01 PM
As stated earlier, Lesco 3-way smokes onion and garlic but be careful when spraying in beds.

Frank Fescue
05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
I'd just let it die off.. it doesnt seem to stick around very long.. either that or hand pull it, the stuff comes out of established turf with ease, i'd assume it'd willingly come up from a garden bed.

Rayholio
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Only way I've found to kill them without a doubt is to step on them (open the pores) and then spray them with round up.. seems to work

Turfdoctor1
05-02-2007, 05:33 PM
i disagree with most of the above.

manor, high rate.

americanlawn
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
First mow to open up tissue. Then use a herbicide containing 2-4D. Repeated sprays may be needed as the "bulb" is hard to kill. Ester formulations are best, as the tissue had somewhat of a waxy coating.

Regular mowing plus summer weather will put 'em back down too. At least until next year.

Doing the above will eventually get rid of 'em.

I rarely see heavy infestations of wild onion or wild garlic. Sometimes I will dig up the tiny bulbs and put 'em on pizza.

Good luck.