PDA

View Full Version : Justifying purchase.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I was thinking a John Deere 125 riding mower because I can pick up about 2 or 3 larger jobs a week. This is by no means a commercial mower but Its not enough bigger jobs to come close to paying for a $10k mower. This thing was rated consumer best buy and its only $1,800. About 90% of the mowing around here is with 21" walkbehinds.

dannyboy20
04-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Spend another $1200 and you can get yourself a decent Hydro W.B. I think with a W.B. it will be faster than a riding mower. But if your not doing too many lawns then a rider might be fine.

CutsForLess
04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Whipple I started out with a riding mower but I got to a point that I could not keep up with the work. Aregular riding mower is designed for the average consumer to mow their yard 20 or 30 times a year not that many every couple of days, that being said it all depends on the amount of mowing you are doing and how fast you want to get done.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Some of these seem alittle big for large walk behing though. If I show up to a yard that has no fence, not much trees or landscaping, and is about 1/2 to 1 acre I'd like to sit on my butt becuase I spend the rest of the day behind a 21" walk behind or stacking stone for retaining walls. It would be nice to take a load off now and then. So should I go with a high dollar zero turn, but then I would lose my profits because I don't have alot of bigger lots to do.

DuraCutter
04-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Some of these seem alittle big for large walk behing though. If I show up to a yard that has no fence, not much trees or landscaping, and is about 1/2 to 1 acre I'd like to sit on my butt becuase I spend the rest of the day behind a 21" walk behind or stacking stone for retaining walls. It would be nice to take a load off now and then. So should I go with a high dollar zero turn, but then I would lose my profits because I don't have alot of bigger lots to do.

I have 5 of the John deere 160. Same size as the 125. Get this, they are all over 20 years old or so. They all run fantastic. I use them mostly to pull lawn sweepers. They go like stink and can pull all day long. We're in the middle of doing spring clean-up on a 40 acre site in the middle of town and they're tearing up the miles... Go JD, go :)