PDA

View Full Version : Need help! I am power seeding my lawn

jingles
04-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I am power seeding my lawn. Can I apply a weed preventer before I seed it, or will that prevent the new seed from growing. I already have a lawn, but there is also a weed problem within the lawn. So I want to thicken up the lawn. So, should I put down weed killer, than seed. Thanks for any help

indyturf
04-21-2007, 01:43 PM
No weed control or crabgrass Pre-m! you would need to wait 5-6 weeks after applying to re-seed. after you seed put down a starter fertilizer, then in about 8 weeks apply fert w/ Dimension or just skip the pre-m this year and mow high. after the new grass has germinated and grown enough to be mowed 3-4 times then you can apply a broad-leaf weed control. I would spot treat for weeds if possible.

n-green
04-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Check the label for Drive, I don't have one handy but I think you can seed and squirt pretty close to the same time.

turfsolutions
04-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Are you seeding a shaded area or sunny? If shade, no worry about pre m. If sun, better wait until Sept. however, if you must seed then do so, just don't get discouraged when the results aren't that great this summer, just be prepared to aerate and seed again in Sept. then you will see the results next spring.

Shades of Green LService
04-21-2007, 11:09 PM
I am power seeding my lawn. Can I apply a weed preventer before I seed it, or will that prevent the new seed from growing. I already have a lawn, but there is also a weed problem within the lawn. So I want to thicken up the lawn. So, should I put down weed killer, than seed. Thanks for any help

The only pre emergent that can be used at the time of seeding is Siduron.

Nathan Robinson
04-21-2007, 11:43 PM
You could apply a liquid blanket weed control to your lawn for your broadleaf and spot spray with a post-m for you crab breakthrough. You will prob have to aerate and overseed in fall as well because your new grass growth will be on with its storage turned of and will loose some grass. Here is an organic remedy for crabgrass in lawns. (SPOT SPRAY ONLY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
10 ounces of apple cider vinegar, 7 ounces of beet juice, 4 tablespoons of sea salt mixed with a half gallon of water. This is also an effective way to selectively target bermuda grass out of cool season grasses. Hardley anyone does this and is almost unheard of. Learned it from an owner of a organic based lawn care provider. WORKS! Nathan

garydale
04-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I would weed and feed this spring / summer and slit seed in Aug./Sept.

Get the lawn cleaned up first. Seeding now would be a waste of time,money seed.

Fall will give you spectacular results.