PDA

View Full Version : Engine stops cranking during ignition sometimes?

cornerstonelawn
04-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a kawisaki fh680v 23 hp on my TORO 52 Zero Turn it has 1130 hrs on it and recently it has been stopping and then starting during the ignition process. I recently put a brand new battery but I suspect the starter is going. Anybody have help on this.;)

Restrorob
04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Let's clarify this;

When you turn the key to the start position the starter begins to spin the engine over but intermittently (spins then stops then spins again) ?

cornerstonelawn
04-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Yes! That is it,the starter starts to turn the engine but then sometimes stops then starts up again... or sometimes I have to actually turn the key back off then to start again. It sounds as if there is was too much compression to turn it over so it was forced to stop. Also the starter sound really loud when engaging. I wish I could explain that sound too you. I did purchase a new battery when the old one died the other day. I am afraid that if this current problem continues This battery too may run down.

Restrorob
04-22-2007, 09:25 AM
When was the last time you checked valve/rocker arm clearance ?

Bill Kapaun
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Agree with Rob-
Excessive valve lash prevents the Automatic Compression Release (ACR) from functioning.

cornerstonelawn
04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
is that relatively simple and something that I could do myself? Or should I take it in?

Restrorob
04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
It's easy enough done yourself, But you may need new valve cover gaskets at that many hours.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FH500VValveAdjustment.jpg

cornerstonelawn
04-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I have decided to take it in since I am going on a business trip. I do apprreciate all your help. I did not feel I had enough time to get the lawns done try this fix and take it in if I did not do it right. So I said the heck with it and gave in.

I do believe that you called it right so thanx again.!:waving: