PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Help

DavidR
04-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm a homeowner with an irrigation system already installed. The system has 64 RainBird head, a Hunter SRC controller. I live on just under 2 acres.

The problem I'm having is that I have one or two RainBird heads that go bad every year and constanly need adjustments. Is there a better head that I could start replacing these with when they go bad that would be more maintenance free?

Second question, what are essential tools for working on this system that will make my life easier when replacing these heads and working on the system?

Also, is replacing the heads the best thing I can do to upgrade the current system? Should I do something else that would make the system more maintenance free?

BTW: All of my heads are rotators.

Thanks for all your help for this new guy.

PurpHaze
04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
The problem I'm having is that I have one or two RainBird heads that go bad every year and constanly need adjustments. Is there a better head that I could start replacing these with when they go bad that would be more maintenance free?

Give us the model types of the Rainbird heads. If they're rotors there are mini, mid, large and golf type rotors on the market. Makes a big difference as to the model and nozzle number.

Second question, what are essential tools for working on this system that will make my life easier when replacing these heads and working on the system?

Slip joint pliers (like Channel Locks) and the manufacturer's adjustment tool, pullup tool or other sprcific aid for the sprinkler models you have.

Also, is replacing the heads the best thing I can do to upgrade the current system? Should I do something else that would make the system more maintenance free?

That's about it without knowing all the specifics of your system as it relates to your plantings and being able to look at an asbuilt plan.

Rotators or rotors? There's a big difference as to how the water is put down and infiltrates the soil, especially on slopes.

DavidR
04-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the response.

After looking at the RainBird web site, it appears that I have the 32SA model rotors.

As for the as built plan, I don't really have that available. I can tell you that I have heads that surronding the yard, then I have twelve heads that circle 360* spead through the center of the yard.

Hope this helps to diagnose my needs better.

PurpHaze
04-21-2007, 11:02 PM
After looking at the RainBird web site, it appears that I have the 32SA model rotors.

The 32SA is a 1/2" inlet DIY rotor sold by Rainbird through the big box stores. It's a DIYer and may not be as reliable in the long run. Mileage will vary though due to a lot of factors; sprinkler head height as compared to soil grade, soil type and/or turf variety that riser pops up through, straightness of sprinkler, cleanliness of water supply, etc.

As they go out you might want to replace them with contractor grade rotors of similar function such as the Rainbird 3500 or the Hunter PGJ. You'll probably have to purchase these from an irrigation supply house.

Rotor_Tool
04-21-2007, 11:24 PM
2 acres? Is this a well system? The 32SA is a consumer product sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. You will be better off to replace the current equipment with 3500's from an Irrigation Distributor. If the water source is a well, you might check to see if the water is clean and free of debris, as this could cause any rotor fail.

Remote Pigtails
04-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Just don't be in the supply house the same time I am. I give DIYers buying at my supply house the evil eye.

andersa
04-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Remote - you are looking at us DIYs the wrong way. Look at us as a great opportunities waiting instead. Once we have ruined out systems to the point that no grass will ever grow, our wives will make us call a pro and you can charge whatever you want :laugh:

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com is a much better deal for the DIY anyway.

DavidR
04-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Just don't be in the supply house the same time I am. I give DIYers buying at my supply house the evil eye.

Remote- WOW!! Thanks for the great advise. You really helped contribute to this post...thanks for that great insight:waving:

I appreciate the comments from the rest of you. I started replacing the broken head. When I pulled it, I found out that the 5000's are what are actually installed. I guess I need to get more familiar with these RainBirds and learn how to adjust and fix my system.

Remote Pigtails
04-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Remote- WOW!! Thanks for the great advise. You really helped contribute to this post...thanks for that great insight:waving:

GRRRRRRRR WOOF WOOF WOOF

bobw
04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
When I pulled it, I found out that the 5000's are what are actually installed. I guess I need to get more familiar with these RainBirds and learn how to adjust and fix my system.

Are you sure about that? BR 32SA is a 1/2" inlet; 5000 is a 3/4" inlet. I SUSPECT that what you are really wanting is a 3500 which is the contractor grade 1/2" model

DavidR
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Yep, deffinately the 5000. I read it on the top of the head. These are what I actually have at my house now...maybe you misread my post.

bicmudpuppy
04-23-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm a homeowner with an irrigation system already installed. The system has 64 RainBird head, a Hunter SRC controller. I live on just under 2 acres.

Thanks for all your help for this new guy.

I appreciate the comments from the rest of you. I started replacing the broken head. When I pulled it, I found out that the 5000's are what are actually installed. I guess I need to get more familiar with these RainBirds and learn how to adjust and fix my system.

Hmmmm, anyone EVER here a homeowner say this about a PGP? You can hear the RB users knocking hunter all day long because the had to replace 10 30+year old heads in the same yard, but I've never heard anyone say a newer system had this type of problem with the PGP, and this isn't the first homeowner I've heard this type of negative from.

DavidR
04-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I have noticed this as well. I'm planning on switching out my heads with Hunters as they go bad.

I was thinking of trying out a few MP Rotators in a few of my heads. How hard are these to install and how much water do they really conserve? I have done a search but didn't really find what I was looking for.

Ground Master
04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
MP's conserve water just like any other head.

Its all how the system is designed and operated. If its a badly designed and operated system your not gonna conserve any water.

MP's main attrribute is their low precip rate which helps to prevent water runoff. They are also a good replacement for spray zones that were badly designed with stretched spacing.

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 10:33 PM
They are also a good replacement for spray zones that were badly designed with stretched spacing.

Or where the spacing of spray pop-ups is correct but there's a million of them in each zone. :)

They can reduce the total number of sprinklers in a spray pop-up zone by up to 2/3 of the original number.

PurpHaze
04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Or where the spacing of spray pop-ups is correct but there's a million of them in each zone. :)

They can reduce the total number of sprinklers in a spray pop-up zone by up to 2/3 of the original number.

Here's a couple of pics of an MP-Rotator renovation we're currently doing. This area had an unbounded planter up against the building that was never really taken care of and the grass overtook it. First step was to cap off all its spray pop-ups (yellow flags) as there is a planter in front of the main doors that is also on this zone.

We'll start capping unnecessary spray pop-ups in the original turf zone (orange flags) and then install MPR 3000s/2000s where needed. We'll tie into the pop-up locations nearest the building and then run new pipe/sprinklers to the necessary spots.

When we're done we would of taken 38 spray pop-ups and reduced it to 12 MPRs to water the entire area.